Future Of Northern Soul

Guest LeedsPal

I must be missing all of it, thats one of the worst songs I've ever heard, the backing's alright but the lyrics and singing are the aural equivalent of a bowel movement

I'd better listen to it again, maybe I'm guilty of trying to be in with 'the in crowd'  :lol:  :lol:

Edit: Just listened to it again, and leaving the 'pudding' lyrics to one side, I still quite like it, and would definitely dance to it albeit in an Ainsley Harriott kind of style :)

Edited by Winnie :-)
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Read Aarons posts and listened to his youtube vids and I,m stumped to why he is on here .He seems to not like the northern oldies scene but advocates 50s stuff , can someone tell where on the northern scene he will hear the likes of these records ? . All of the RnB records i  like and seem to get played on the scene tend to be the black ballsy stuff not like the stuff posted 

Social source share

Could have been a word I haven't heard in years - "pouffe", remember those, like squigy leather squares that you put your feet on

Just bought one from Marrakech.  The mad Moroccan who sold me it called it a pouffe (or was that me), obviously the French influence.  Spent the last couple of weeks shredding old newspapers to stuff it with.

Back to the topic, the future of Northern Soul is safe in our hands.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

you're obviously not going to have the same opinion as me, you're the same age as my granddad...

:lol: .....Only on this Scene!.......I was 'an event' a few weeks ago, and something 'kicked off'.......I then heard someone shout...."Leave my Dad alone!"....again - 'Only on this Scene' :D 

Great stuff :wink: 

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

You need to be on the Rockin scene or the mod rnb scene if your into this stuff...........I like this music and collect it myself but id be pissed off if i went to a rare or northern soul night and this stuff was played. Nothing to do with you not liking oldies.Your'e into a whole different genre of music!!

Well said mate - I get so p*ssed off when I'm at a SOUL event, and someone puts this (in my book) tripe on (maybe thinking they are 'cutting edge').......except for Dave Rimmer because his Mike work makes up for it - and he always apologises to me (over the mike usually!) :D 

It's a SOUL Scene!

All the best,

P.s - I must say, even Dave's 'awful habit' of R 'n' B is a lot better than has been posted - luv ya Dave :wink: x

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanx for posting them Aaron....never heard any of them....and yup...I like them in the main and all would make my 'general' obscure collection

......and that was your only fault Sooty....... :D  :D  :D 

Len :thumbsup: x

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

As a younger member of the scene I am pretty confident the scene will continue, theres a fair few youngsters who love soul on the northern, mod, and scooter scenes. However, will it be as big as the 70s again? I dont think so. My vision it will be a small scene, some what more like the European scene, young vibrant yet small and consolidated.There will always be an attraction and interest in soul music, it's got a magic, a sweetness and obviously soulful feel you cant get from any other genre.

Personally, it was the oldies and classics that first sparked the interest. And in particular the Snake was the first track that did it for me. I know it's not cool to say that, but at the time for all knew it could have been the most respected/rarest/expensive track known to man. However, as you dig deeper you realise that there are is so much more than the classics. Thats what keeps me interested, as you can keep listening and listening and still find amazing tracks. The done to death oldies have become very stale to my ears, but to dismiss them as crap is a bit nonsicle!

However, to throw the cat amongst the pigeons... Mr YoungSoul if you havent been influenced anybody at all, how can you hate the "overplayed" stuff? Because youve got to hear these songs for the very first time at some point, surely thats when you should start to form an opinion on wether you like it or not?

Great post - I am proud to say that I danced to 'The Snake' just a few weeks ago - I was at The Nags Head in Wollaston (which has a history of very early soul events going back to the 60's) and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

All the best,

.....Did I just 'admit' to dancing to 'The Snake'?.........Na, I couldn't have done - That's not cool......... :excl:  :elvis: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i would just say aaron watch how you word things on this site..i now re-read posts before i post them and i still seem to piss people off after years of being on here..people still seem to sometimes read negative things which were not intended..and sometimes you can go round and round and will have to agree to disagree..but' thats life i guesss'

dean

......Or people get exposed for what they really are.........not aimed at you mate.......yet :glare:....... :D  :D  :D 

:wink:

Social source share

Great post - I am proud to say that I danced to 'The Snake' just a few weeks ago - I was at The Nags Head in Wollaston (which has a history of very early soul events going back to the 60's) and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

All the best,

.....Did I just 'admit' to dancing to 'The Snake'?.........Na, I couldn't have done - That's not cool......... :excl:  :elvis: 

Blimey Len be careful  :g:  :lol:

Bazza    :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

......and that was your only fault Sooty....... :D  :D  :D 

Len :thumbsup: x

...and as it happens Len I will be playing stuff from that very obscure box at me annual local OAPs Xmas party....in between me bingo calling!x Got looooads like the above and from boot sales since last xmas.....and yes...3 of those Aaron posted would get spun there....and I may get a waltz outta a few of em...!x There is a time and a place for every tune! The art is in finding it and doing it right!x However...I would follow with his 4 tunes straight after ure spot at any gig and the room would be relieved mefinks!!!x

Bring it on bro....X

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

...u ain;t lived until u've seen 2 pensioners dance to this......fit into any all-nighter.....goes faster and faster.....fit for a rave!!!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbD4jmM8APU

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You're right about the media.  I took Sam round to a school friends house last night and I had a conversation with his Dad (aged approx 40) who I'd only briefly said hello to at school, anyway I had a really nice chat with this guy, when I mentioned Northern Soul he immediately said "yeah it's making a come back isn't it", so he's obviously seen the BBC program or heard something on the radio.

,....Yeh, I was at the Hair Dressers - damn! I mean Barbers! the other week, and they asked 'question number 14'......."So what are you up to at the weekend Len?"......."Oh, I'm going to a Soul event"....."What's that then?"......"Oh, we play a bit of Motown, it's a actually a Northern Soul night".........."Maureen! did you hear this? Lenny's going to a Northern Soul night this weekend, we like a bit of Northern Soul we do Lenny"........

.......I didn't like it....... :(

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

,....Yeh, I was at the Hair Dressers - damn! I mean Barbers! the other week, and they asked 'question number 14'......."So what are you up to at the weekend Len?"......."Oh, I'm going to a Soul event"....."What's that then?"......"Oh, we play a bit of Motown, it's a actually a Northern Soul night".........."Maureen! did you here this? Lenny's going to a Northern Soul night this weekend, we like a bit of Northern Soul we do Lenny"........

.......I didn't like it....... :(

You're on form tonight Len ,got to have a laugh ,some take it little too seriously  :yes:  :lol:

Bazza    :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Could have been a word I haven't heard in years - "pouffe", remember those, like squigy leather squares that you put your feet on

:lol: I have one in my record room!

......Record rooms - Not the same now we can afford to have them, compared to ya Dad shouting up the stairs....."Len, your tea's ready"....."Dad, I said I was recording!!!"........ :D 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

so is it a bit like the masons this northern soul scene secret handshakes  and all that  , it's not just for anybody  :g:

No it's not - That's why I love (ed) it........It is for absolutely anybody, but not for those that try and be something they're not.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: (D.J / Promoter extraordinaire) :rofl: 

P.s - I'm out of 'likes'.....I must have been busy...... :D 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Mr Faye

And also make it obvious that they haven't got a clue.....posting f***king awful soundfiles and expecting some kind of appreciation......what for......go and tell the Teddy Boys.....more up their street.

lol

Social source share

Can we stay on topic, this is not a song debate, but the poster asked for response about the future of Northern Soul. Comments about individual records are about as useful as sugar in a snowstorm. Hate to be bitchy, but I have had a glass of wine (ok 3 glasses).

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Never thought I,d come on here and see a Perry Como record uploaded . I hope Sootys packed up djing when I,m in f**king nursing home. :yes: 

...and after the Disco fades...i'd wheel u too your room....i'd empty ure colostomy bag and give u ure meds and you would smile at me as ure bestest friend Graham.....u would....!!x I would then go back to me decks....and as i'm putting the kit away....i'd leave playing just loud enuff for all of you to drift off to sleep too.......Welcome To My World.....Jim Reeves................a perfect ender.........!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

...the future is what we make it....X There was a time when accepted tunes today were called Rock N Roll...not Soul..some of which was said 'innocently' by folk who have become 'respected' DJ's today and would consider them 'standard' Northern today.....20 years on.....! Tunes they were referring too??.....Betty O'Brian Shell be gone....Richard Berry Have Love....and yes I was told by 'hard core' Soulies whom I respected that the Diplomats 'Cards On The Table' was sh*te and nowt to do wiv Northern....in 1993!!! I still played it...and other Rock N Roll...................good job init!!x  

@@

~

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

...and after the Disco fades...i;d wheel u too your room....i'd empty ure colostomy bag and give u ure meds and you would smile at me as ure bestest friend Graham.....u would....!!x I would then go back to me decks....and as i;m putting the kit away....i;d leave playing just loud enuff for all of you to drift off to slep too.......Welcome To My World.....Jim Reeves...........a perfect ender.........!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

...the future is what we make it....X There was a time when accepted tunes today were called Rock N Roll...not Soul..some of which was said 'innocently' by folk who have become 'respected' DJ's today and would consider them 'stndard' Northern today.....20 years on.....! Tunes they were referring too??.....Betty O'Brian Shell be gone....Richard Berry Have Love....and yes I was told by 'hard core' Soulies whom I respected that the Diplomats 'Cards On The Table' was sh*te and nowt to do wiv Northern....in 1993!!! I still played it...and other Rock N Roll...................good job init!!x  

@@

~

Jim reeves. Cracker mo fo !

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

...and after the Disco fades...i;d wheel u too your room....i'd empty ure colostomy bag and give u ure meds and you would smile at me as ure bestest friend Graham.....u would....!!x I would then go back to me decks....and as i;m putting the kit away....i;d leave playing just loud enuff for all of you to drift off to slep too.......Welcome To My World.....Jim Reeves...........a perfect ender.........!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

...the future is what we make it....X There was a time when accepted tunes today were called Rock N Roll...not Soul..some of which was said 'innocently' by folk who have become 'respected' DJ's today and would consider them 'stndard' Northern today.....20 years on.....! Tunes they were referring too??.....Betty O'Brian Shell be gone....Richard Berry Have Love....and yes I was told by 'hard core' Soulies whom I respected that the Diplomats 'Cards On The Table' was sh*te and nowt to do wiv Northern....in 1993!!! I still played it...and other Rock N Roll...................good job init!!x  

@@

~

Jim reeves. Cracker mo fo !

Social source share

Can we stay on topic, this is not a song debate, but the poster asked for response about the future of Northern Soul. Comments about individual records are about as useful as sugar in a snowstorm. Hate to be bitchy, but I have had a glass of wine (ok 3 glasses).

I have nothing but respect for anything Rory Gallagher says.  We do tend to drift.  Don't let it deteriorate to personal abuse. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Well said mate - I get so p*ssed off when I'm at a SOUL event, and someone puts this (in my book) tripe on (maybe thinking they are 'cutting edge').......except for Dave Rimmer because his Mike work makes up for it - and he always apologises to me (over the mike usually!) :D 

It's a SOUL Scene!

All the best,

P.s - I must say, even Dave's 'awful habit' of R 'n' B is a lot better than has been posted - luv ya Dave :wink: x

I'm watching you Dopson !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm watching you Dopson !

Doh! :ohmy::huh: 

........Dave, I often get an 'e' mail from my good friend Dave Clegg - almost the exact same wording!........It simply spurs me on :D .........and worries me :huh: .........

:D 

All the best,

P.s - Hi Dave (Clegg) x :wink: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!