Whats The Difference Between A Good Dj And A Great Dj?

One topic of conversation that comes up regularly with friends and listeners is about the current glut of DJs and events in the UK. There are mixed opinions whether they are killing the scene or keeping it alive. But out of these discussions comes the opinion that there are too many DJs who put on their own events, (four in my town alone!) and comments like 'everyone thinks they are a DJ these days'.

It has never been easier to be a DJ with the availability of the music via the net, especially for us Modern jocks, and the huge amount of internet radio stations that play Soul. With a bit of practice its possible for most people to string a set together and maybe even use a microphone!!

But what makes a great soul DJ? Is it their collection? Their ability to keep a dance floor full? Their microphone technique? How long they have been on the scene? All of the above?

Having the right records is very important but if the DJ doesn't know what to do with them they aren't going to set any floors alight. A collector (who shall remain nameless) once told me that the worst kind of DJ is a serious collector as they tend to play what 'should' fill a dance floor and not what actually 'does'. However there is a need for this kind of DJ, some of my favourite venues have little or no dance floor and some killer tunes being played by people I respect for their knowledge and collections.

A full dance floor doesn't always mean that a DJ is doing a 'great job', they might be just playing an hour of tried and tested tunes and excluding a large part of the crowd. Should the DJ be introducing the crowd to something else?

As for microphone technique, that is a very touchy subject with dancers/punters. Too much talking ruins the flow of the night, not enough and you might as well not be there.

Longevity on the scene is certainly a pointer to the fact that the DJ has managed to keep dance floors busy but you could argue that they should be performing on the biggest stages at the biggest events in order to be talked about as a great DJ.

Two names immediately spring to mind for me Soul Sam and Colin Curtis. I consider both of these to be great DJs. Neither of them can satisfy all of the criteria above but they are the ones to aspire to and their name on a flyer will always bring punters in.

I am sure the list of great DJs is very long but what interests a DJ like me is not just who they are, but why you think they are great. The more astute of you may notice that I have already excluded Messrs Barnfarther and Dimond from any replies that follow.

Interstingly both of them don't use their real name for DJing is that the secret?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Soul Sam - a GREAT D.J. He has an attraction that isn't 'just' his records - he's 'quirky'......unlike some that just 'stand and wait for the record to finish'......that's the only way I know how to explain it....There are subtle, but massive differences that make a D.J stand out.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

And sooooo enthusiastic too Len.

He's shit at twiddling knobs and is tone deaf - but he's the man. :lol:

Peter

Ain't he just 'DA MAN' ? :D

P.s - and he never minded saying when he didn't know a tune....admittedly, he usually forgot that he owned it, but still - such integrity :wink:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

After tips Andy :lol:

Might not go down too well with most but I think there are hardly any DJ's on the Soul scene.

There are a hell of a lot of collectors who are passionate about their music & want to share it with the masses but very very few of them are DJ's.

A DJ won't think twice about playing a track he hates & also couldn't care less what format it is on & is more than likely doing it for the cash.

A collector will carefully take an original record out of it's card sleeve & possibly then it's paper sleeve too & lovingly place it on the 1210.

I don't like being called a 'DJ' in the few instances I've been asked to jockey the Ds. I collect records I personally enjoy and am not interested in buying stuff just because it's popular or in demand. Maybe that's why I don't get asked to more events!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Always said "Soul Sam" is a centre stage man, and his mere enthusiasm and passion towards a sound almost makes you search it out.

R E Gards 

Hi Bobby boy hope your O.K son yes have to concur with you on that Sam's the fella .Regards Randels records.

Social source share

There was a bit on the Soul in the Bowl events thread about a D.J called Nick 'Topsy' Turvey (Banbury Radio) Although it turned into an O.V.O 'discussion' (which is not for here) he is a great D.J in my opinion, with a real 'presence'. He's one of the 'old skool' D.J's that has done years of Radio, weddings, various parties, and also does the Northern thing - he comes across so natural, and he's hilarious - great, if that's what you like / are in the mood for :wink:

Although years of experience must help, I think some are made for the job, and some are not - that's it.

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One topic of conversation that comes up regularly with friends and listeners is about the current glut of DJs and events in the UK. There are mixed opinions whether they are killing the scene or keeping it alive. But out of these discussions comes the opinion that there are too many DJs who put on their own events, (four in my town alone!) and comments like 'everyone thinks they are a DJ these days'.

It has never been easier to be a DJ with the availability of the music via the net, especially for us Modern jocks, and the huge amount of internet radio stations that play Soul. With a bit of practice its possible for most people to string a set together and maybe even use a microphone!!

But what makes a great soul DJ? Is it their collection? Their ability to keep a dance floor full? Their microphone technique? How long they have been on the scene? All of the above?

Having the right records is very important but if the DJ doesn't know what to do with them they aren't going to set any floors alight. A collector (who shall remain nameless) once told me that the worst kind of DJ is a serious collector as they tend to play what 'should' fill a dance floor and not what actually 'does'. However there is a need for this kind of DJ, some of my favourite venues have little or no dance floor and some killer tunes being played by people I respect for their knowledge and collections.

A full dance floor doesn't always mean that a DJ is doing a 'great job', they might be just playing an hour of tried and tested tunes and excluding a large part of the crowd. Should the DJ be introducing the crowd to something else?

As for microphone technique, that is a very touchy subject with dancers/punters. Too much talking ruins the flow of the night, not enough and you might as well not be there.

Longevity on the scene is certainly a pointer to the fact that the DJ has managed to keep dance floors busy but you could argue that they should be performing on the biggest stages at the biggest events in order to be talked about as a great DJ.

Two names immediately spring to mind for me Soul Sam and Colin Curtis. I consider both of these to be great DJs. Neither of them can satisfy all of the criteria above but they are the ones to aspire to and their name on a flyer will always bring punters in.

I am sure the list of great DJs is very long but what interests a DJ like me is not just who they are, but why you think they are great. The more astute of you may notice that I have already excluded Messrs Barnfarther and Dimond from any replies that follow.

Interstingly both of them don't use their real name for DJing is that the secret?

That's easy!...everyone is a good dj...and I'm a great dj....only joking,I don't dj really! Haha

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One that can Cue a record ,play records that you can dance too,doesnt talk too much in-between tracks - and you can actually tell whats being said ..............................keeps the speech limited - I came to dance !!!!!

Doesnt turn up half way through the night and start playing records that you have already heard in the last hour !

More repeats than Channel 4 - " You know who you are" !!!

Anyone that allows " Ballroom dancing " on a soul night ! - Playing B sides of records and then attempting to correct half way through record .once you realise the error .

Someone who suggests " Its in my other box" - when you request a tune - Dont be Billy Liar - Just tell me - You havent got it !

However ...Where would we be without em ///" As anybody seen my headphones ?

Just remembered ...............................

Turning up the VOLUME @ the start of a record - thinking its going to be everyones favourite & fill the floor ...

When its cleary not !!!! -  A.Noying

Is it Friday yet ?

Blimey !

Edited by ninja
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I only talk at the end of my spot to introduce the next DJ, but as at the moment i only get asked to do "oldies" nites almost everybody in the room knows the record that i'm playing within the first couple of bars. But i've got a "wee" bit of x-over and modern stuff that would  be probably needed to be introduced as it mite not be recognized, but never get asked to do these nites (been promised a few spots at "across the board" nites but they never seen to materialize), at some nites the promoters  don't even like me playing the odd northern r&b tracks, yet other nites that i've been to there is more of this played than "top 500" tracks, which to be honest suits me fine.

Enough rambling and back to the question, DJs need to know what the floor wants (and as i've mentioned in numerous other threads, they need to be in early to know what has been played previously and how the floor re-acted to the tracks (my pet hate is Djs who come in late and play records that have been played already)). i don't think use of the microphone is compulsory (and some Djs should just shut up) but limited use is ok, after all it's whats in the grooves that matter most.

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

A DJ will get my attention by playing an intresting set of tunes that I  dont know but I want to know and own

And throw in a few that are already on my wants list

And maybe a couple of my favs, how does a dj know?

mixing soul, rnb, latin and funky shit together

but thats just me

Pat Bleasedale and Guy Hennegan in Leeds Driving Beat October was a perfect night of music for me.

Sam is a lovley man, Such a nice honest genuine gentleman

I spent an evening playing records with him at a night in wales a few years ago

he is a great guy

it was quite funny cause one of his ex pupils was in the club

and he called him sir

its all about great people aswel imo

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

A lot depends on the context.........in other words which scene, and what are it's driving factors?

Rare records?

Mixing?

.....etc

So it's more complicated than it might seem unless you put it into/consider the context.

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 1
Social source share

heard frankie knuckles once say its all about the sequence, and over the years that statements been born out time and time again. that certainly doesnt mean you've got your playlist down before you hit the venue. I great DJ know how every tune in his box will intergrate into the others, where their set is going, and where its been. Have to agree about Cunnie's comments on the northern scene but  have to add that I'd extend them the modern scene as well.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

A lot depends on the context.........in other words which scene, and what are it's driving factors?

Rare records?

Mixing?

.....etc

So it's more complicated than it might seem unless you put it into/consider the context.

Cheers,

Mark R

in the early 90s when i went out i would not remember any tunes from the saturday till steve jackson played them on kiss fm on monday morning on the radio, i bought loads of weekend piano breakdowns in this fashion

i am talking about house not soul obviously, and house in the early 90s not today

a great dj then was able to mix and lift the crowd

vintage collectors and djs are always peculiar and different

is all about taste

i remember going out of the main room at the lesiure lounge in the early 90s, after being in big room for at least two hours then going into the chill out room, only to find keb and smithers playing top quality funk to a smashed audience, it was unbelevable  

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

in the early 90s when i went out i would not remember any tunes from the saturday till steve jackson played them on kiss fm on monday morning on the radio, i bought loads of weekend piano breakdowns in this fashion

i am talking about house not soul obviously, and house in the early 90s not today

a great dj then was able to mix and lift the crowd

vintage collectors and djs are always peculiar and different

is all about taste

i remember going out of the main room at the lesiure lounge in the early 90s, after being in big room for at least two hours then going into the chill out room, only to find keb and smithers playing top quality funk to a smashed audience, it was unbelevable

aaahhh....the leisure lounge! Lost many a Saturday night in there

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

No great DJs have looked at this topic. They don't need to. However, every single person who has posted on this thread  - or even just looked it at - is clearly desperate to be regarded as a great DJ..

Doh..!

I too have posted some weird shit on this site when I have been pissed and stoned

I am trying not to do it thesedays :wicked:

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

aaahhh....the leisure lounge! Lost many a Saturday night in there

I imagine you would know a few other choice venues from around that time then

Happy jacks and strawberry sundae were a couple of places I used  to spend my weekends at

that was a lifetime ago

Social source share

the same as whats makes a good soul record..personal opinion...i agree with all the things you say a good dj 'should' have/be but im sure we can all think of very busy djs who are guilty of a lot of the things people have complained about on this thread but lots of people out there still love em ;-)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

No great DJs have looked at this topic. They don't need to. However, every single person who has posted on this thread  - or even just looked it at - is clearly desperate to be regarded as a great DJ..

Doh..!

Doh! :lol:  Love it.

I personally find it really interesting - People's 'take' on what makes a great D.J. As I'm one who has posted on here......I have to really work hard at putting a set together, always have done (which seems to work ok) Whereas these 'Greats' seem to do it with no effort, and power to them :wink: 

All the best,

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Doh..!

sorry not me, i've retired and will never dj again :D

Social source share

A DJ won't think twice about playing a track he hates & also couldn't care less what format it is on & is more than likely doing it for the cash.

A collector will carefully take an original record out of it's card sleeve & possibly then it's paper sleeve too & lovingly place it on the 1210.

Cunnie!!

What nonsense!! :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Two DJs are thinking of going to the cinema. 

One asks the other, "Who's the projectionist?"

And the other one says, 'don't worry, because it's Screen-Sam, and:

- he's not going to show the same old film we've seen a thousand times before;

- he's not going to run a grainy, muffled knock-off DVD from the dodgy market stall;

- he's not going to talk a load of crap every 3 minutes throughout the performance;

- he's not going to show exactly the same film as the one we've just been subjected to merely an hour ago; and

- we're in luck because he's got the only copy of a brilliant, long-lost, forgotten but as yet unseen Clint Eastwood/Steve McQueen/Audrey Hepburn/Monty Python movie, and it's rumoured he'll be premiering it tonight.'

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Only one Dj i would travel any distance to hear & that is Butch. If you are wondering what a great DJ is, then go a listen to the greatest Dj the scene has ever known. Ive been going consistantly for nealy 40 years and no one past or present has come close to him. A really genuine bloke as well.

And this brings me back to my point: isn't that because he has the records, which is ultimately important for this scene, rather than having to be great technically (house music), or having a great personality (mobile DJ's)...........incidentally, he might well have both the latter qualities too, I wouldn't know!

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And this brings me back to my point: isn't that because he has the records, which is ultimately important for this scene, rather than having to be great technically (house music), or having a great personality (mobile DJ's)...........incidentally, he might well have both the latter qualities too, I wouldn't know!

Cheers,

Mark R

In this instance, Butch's records are all he needs, but I do think the work he has put in gives him a 'presence' anyway - He doesn't need to tell jokes like us lot! :D 

I do like a D.J to have a unique style that sets him apart.

I often see people comment that some D.J's don't even know how to use the equipment - This may be important on some Scenes, but on our Scene you just need to know which sliders, where the Bass, Treble and Gain is, and that's about it - I'm no expert on all this new fangled kit, and have no interest to be - I just play my records and use the mike (Just enough I hope)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

In this instance, Butch's records are all he needs, but I do think the work he has put in gives him a 'presence' anyway - He doesn't need to tell jokes like us lot! :D 

I do like a D.J to have a unique style that sets him apart.

I often see people comment that some D.J's don't even know how to use the equipment - This may be important on some Scenes, but on our Scene you just need to know which sliders, where the Bass, Treble and Gain is, and that's about it - I'm no expert on all this new fangled kit, and have no interest to be - I just play my records and use the mike (Just enough I hope)

All the best,

You're such a big head Len.

Social source share

You have to learn  the art of cleaning your records with the shirt on your belly aka The Mighty Bub......or me going on after Ginger Taylor......where's the headphones? theres nowt here....oh says me ....as he lines up the needle hovering over the 45 and then drops the arm while on the mike......plonk...straight into Tranells......I prefer a deejays who has something to say and has a presence rather than a record put eroner....some i know and some i want to know.I go to germany quite a bit and they don't speak.   

Edited by wiggyflat
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You're such a big head Len.

? Two dimensional world confusing me - I was giving out a compliment (without 'stroking' I hope!).....I'm not Butch, if you were getting me confused (Slightly different Sir names) :wink: 

To further explain what I mean - If Butch decided to retire and give me all his records (or anyone for that matter) I don't think 'Harrythehog' (post 44) who has been travelling to see him D.J, would travel to see me (or whoever) play his tunes - It wouldn't be the same.

I love the old 'Classic' D.J's and is why I mentioned Nick 'Topsy' Turvey :yes: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!