Carl Henderson "that Girl" On Renfro - Orig. Or Boot ?

dennyj

Anybody know where I can view a scan of an original ? Otherwise has anybody got an orig that they can scan for me ? I've got 2 copies with different labels and dead wax markings, (hoping they're both not boots !)TksDenny

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

dennyj said:
Anybody know where I can view a scan of an original ? Otherwise has anybody got an orig that they can scan for me ? I've got 2 copies with different labels and dead wax markings, (hoping they're both not boots !)TksDenny

Hi Denny

This is a scan of my copy, it is on vinyl;

RENFRO 115 YOU'RE ALL I NEED / THAT GIRL

RENFRO_115-A.jpgRENFRO_115-B.jpg

Looking at the deadwax it has a Monarch Delta "#62277-X" @ 6 o'clock

A faint "monarch matrix stamp" @ 8 o'clock

And "R-430-B" @ 10 o'clock

I don't now if other pressing plants were used as well, but

Hope this helps you

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Hi Denny

How goes it - long time no see - last Perth weekender :D

Got one right here which I'm pretty sure is an original - Renfro 115 - matt light pink label has 2 lines across the middle, half inch apart; Renfro 10 thro 2 Oclock with black block lettering and pink stars and spinning disc headed downwards.

Deadwax has R-340-B at 7 Oclock

Delta 62277-X at 2 Oclock and kind of a stamped O at 4 Oclock

Hope that helps !

Take care

Johnny Mack

Social source share

Hi Denny

How goes it - long time no see - last Perth weekender :D

Got one right here which I'm pretty sure is an original - Renfro 115 - matt light pink label has 2 lines across the middle, half inch apart; Renfro 10 thro 2 Oclock with black block lettering and pink stars and spinning disc headed downwards.

Deadwax has R-340-B at 7 Oclock

Delta 62277-X at 2 Oclock and kind of a stamped O at 4 Oclock

Hope that helps !

Take care

Johnny Mack

Hi

It looks like we posted at the same time,

My copy has a Stamped O which I took to be a very faint MR Matrix, as it has the delta number

The o'clocks work out the same depending from which one you start from

Mine was also bought as an original at the same time as I aquired

RENFRO 112 - A CASE OF LOVE / YOU'RE ALL I NEED - SEQUINS

On the same Pink Label, vinyl & the Monarch stamp is a little more visible

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Hey Roger

Looks like we were both digging at the same time. Looks like the matrix-ing is the same - label colour on mine though is pinker - closer to a Decca demo if you know what I mean.

Well Mr Johnson does that help you at all ????

Take care

Hi

It looks like we posted at the same time,

My copy has a Stamped O which I took to be a very faint MR Matrix, as it has the delta number

The o'clocks work out the same depending from which one you start from

Mine was also bought as an original at the same time as I aquired

RENFRO 112 - A CASE OF LOVE / YOU'RE ALL I NEED - SEQUINS

On the same Pink Label, vinyl & the Monarch stamp is a little more visible

Social source share

Looks like we were both digging at the same time. Looks like the matrix-ing is the same - label colour on mine though is pinker - closer to a Decca demo if you know what I mean.

Well Mr Johnson does that help you at all ????

Take care

John, Roger,tks to both of you - sure does help. One of my copies is exactly as you both described, the only bummer is that although they both look mint, the other one (the boot ?) is slightly better in sound quality !Anyway, tks again. John, are you too scared to come back to Oz ?? :thumbsup: cheersDenny

Social source share

• 9 years later...

I agree with both of you on the Carl Henderson.  And, I have both the elaborate and simple label designs of "A Case of Love" by The Sequins, and the runout engravings and stampings are identical, other than the (new) label catalogue number (218) changing on the newer simple design.  So, I believe that the simple designed labels were legitimate re-issues by the label owner, Anthony Renfro, at a later date, using original plates that Monarch still had on file.  I bought all my Renfro original elaborate design labeled records in 1965-67, and never saw the simple labels back then.  I think the latter were all issued during the late '60s or beginning of the 1970s by Anthony Renfro, as they were Monarch stamped, and used the original 1966 and 1967 Delta numbers.  If they had been bootlegs done at Monarch, they'd have used current '70s Delta numbers, starting in the 90,000s or 100,000s.  Had they been bootlegs done at another pressing plant, attempting to "appear" as original Monarch pressings, they'd have etched the original '60s Delta numbers, but NOT  have had the Monarch encircled logo stamp.

Social source share

I have reposted my Original scans

RENFRO_115-A.jpgRENFRO_115-B.jpg

6 hours ago, RobbK said:

I agree with both of you on the Carl Henderson.  And, I have both the elaborate and simple label designs of "A Case of Love" by The Sequins, and the runout engravings and stampings are identical, other than the (new) label catalogue number (218) changing on the newer simple design.  So, I believe that the simple designed labels were legitimate re-issues by the label owner, Anthony Renfro, at a later date, using original plates that Monarch still had on file.  I bought all my Renfro original elaborate design labeled records in 1965-67, and never saw the simple labels back then.  I think the latter were all issued during the late '60s or beginning of the 1970s by Anthony Renfro, as they were Monarch stamped, and used the original 1966 and 1967 Delta numbers.  If they had been bootlegs done at Monarch, they'd have used current '70s Delta numbers, starting in the 90,000s or 100,000s.  Had they been bootlegs done at another pressing plant, attempting to "appear" as original Monarch pressings, they'd have etched the original '60s Delta numbers, but NOT  have had the Monarch encircled logo stamp.

RENFRO_112-A.jpgRENFRO_112-B.jpg

Plus the Re-Issue below
RENFRO_218-A.jpgRENFRO_127-A.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Kev John said:

The circle stamp will have( AL & a small c within it) in the original dead wax,  not MR in the circle 

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

That's right.  The stampers were made at ALCO Steel, not at Monarch (although Monarch did make many of their own).

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke
On 24/06/2006 at 11:55, dennyj said:

Denny I've got an original "lined" copy - I'll bring it to the Irish Club on Saturday so you can compare:thumbsup:

Social source share

• 9 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!