Info Wanted - London Record Shops / Markets

Shaun W

Hope this is the right place to post.

We'll be in London for a couple of days following the 100 Club christmas party and wanted to use some of the time digging for vinyl.

I'd be grateful for any information on worthwhile record stores and markets to visit selling second hand 45's and 33's.  Have done a little web research but would prefer to hear from SS members as to where to  go and where to avoid.

Thanks in advance.

Shaun

Social source share

My view, being a fairly regular visitor to London, is that apart form the usual suspects: Soho, Camden Town, Notting Hill/Portobello Road the other fairly central destination would be Spitalfields Market (first and third Friday and second Saturday of the month). This has the feel of a record fair with quite a few dealers. Only a few minutes walk from Liverpool St station.

Social source share

And I think I'm correct in saying that that one was up for sale / auction on eBay just a months or so ago.

Don't know if it's still open?

On The Beat? Would be a shame if that closed. It was open last month. Didn't notice any For Sale signs outside.

Edit -  just googled. The owner's looking for a buyer to carry the shop on as it is. Seems that that's one of his requirements.

Edited by maslar
Social source share

On The Beat? Would be a shame if that closed. It was open last month. Didn't notice any For Sale signs outside.

Edit -  just googled. The owner's looking for a buyer to carry the shop on as it is. Seems that that's one of his requirements.

Aah, right. Well, glad to see it's still in operation and open. Ignore my last comment then. :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

the other fairly central destination would be Spitalfields Market (first and third Friday and second Saturday of the month). This has the feel of a record fair with quite a few dealers. Only a few minutes walk from Liverpool St station.

Never found a really decent record there....tons of records....tons of crap records...... :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Never found a really decent record there....tons of records....tons of crap records...... :(

I was there with Eileen a couple of weeks ago and the only soul I found on any stall were re-issues. I explained I preferred original issues and got a blank look.

Social source share

Agreed but that goes for most of London  i would say. I rarely go record hunting in London anymore. I like OTB and there's a stall in the Stables  Market in Camden Town that's ok. Personally,  I wouldn't recommend a visitor spending too much time record hunting. Much more interesting things they could be doing with their time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was there with Eileen a couple of weeks ago and the only soul I found on any stall were re-issues. I explained I preferred original issues and got a blank look.

I was last on the record market in the summer and found quite a lot of soul. But it was nothing particularly exciting (from a vinyl collecting perspective) or priced in a way that would make me want to part with my cash..

Social source share

A Timi Yuro IWNBOFM on UK Liberty was found at Spitafields about 5 years ago in mint condition c/w original company sleeve . . . . . . . £2.

T'was very early, as soon as the stalls opened, on a Friday morning if memory serves me well?

Social source share

In my trip through the motherland I went in there as I was passing. Seems there were no takers so he's shutting up shop end of January.

Not much in there of note but I bought a Donna Hinds 45 just on principle.

Social source share

Thanks for the input, it's certainly crytalised my thinking on how much time to spend looking for vinyl. However, we will set aside enough time to visit a couple of our favourite watering holes.

The Albion in Goldsmith's Row ( Near Broadway Market ) and The Nags Head Belgravia,loved them both the last time we were in town.

Cheers

Shaun

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Try Music and Goods Exchange on the main road in Notting Hill, soul 45s upstairs. And several shops down in Berwick Street including another branch of Music Exchange and Selectadisc.

There's also one between Oxford Street and Soho called something like Beyond the Universe with 45s downstairs.

Flashback records on Essex Road in Islington isn't bad either.

Social source share

Music and goods exchange is over priced with bad condition generally since they closed the soul and dance and moved into that small space.

Music exchange in soho has a section of about 8 shite common albums and no 45s.

Selecta disc is new releases only.

Sounds of the universe is new release with a small selection or originals downstairs that are not particularly exciting, and they don't change that often, I've seen the same lps in there for 5 years+ unsold.

The only place left on berwick at is the reopened reckless records but it's a shadow of its former self.

Used to enjoy an hour or two wandering round nothing hill and soho, I don't usually bother going there at all anymore, it's a waste of time unless you are super lucky, which I've not been for a few years and nobody I know has either.

Flashback is worth a look but their 'filing system' is a bit odd, but nice people and you can turn stuff up, but you need to sent some time in there as there's a lot of tat. Be prepared to get on your knees and dig :) it's a good old fashioned record shop.

I'm afraid the days of finding gems in good condition at a reasonable price in Central London are mostly gone now, not surprising considering their rates and bills alone must be extortionate,

Sorry!

Cheers Sutty

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!