A Question For The Oldies Brigade ?

Speedlimit

Major cities will always have a decent number of youngsters but major cities are representative of the country as a whole. Neither do you see them travel. There are plenty from London, Manchester, Leeds and other cities who bang on about wanting something new and are never seen outside of where they live, unless of course they are djing.

but back in the day you had to travel there wasn't the plethora of venues that there are today  two do,s on every Friday and Saturday at least here in south Yorkshire ,

back then necessity was the mother of invention today its Tesco express theres one just around every corner .

Social source share

but back in the day you had to travel there wasn't the plethora of venues that there are today  two do,s on every Friday and Saturday at least here in south Yorkshire ,

back then necessity was the mother of invention today its Tesco express theres one just around every corner .

And that is still the case for many if they want to listen to the rarities of Butch, Andy Dyson, Mick H, etc......

If you want the same old same then you can go to a venue in your village n'er mind town or city.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I still want a bit of both….

…..I know there are two separate Scenes, but both are enjoyed by a lot of people! I still believe the ‘gap’ can be closed at some places, and I stand by what I said years ago, that a 50% Oldies / 50% ‘Other’ event could work well - Some disagreed, saying that half the time one half of the crowd would dance, and visa-versa.

This would be an interesting experiment  - To whack a really good Oldies D.J (like Dave Evison) on, smack bang in the middle of Life-line…….Does anyone else think that would work, or is it just me?

I loved the last Life-line as it was btw - This is just a hypothetical question, to see how others are thinking :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

…..I know there are two separate Scenes, but both are enjoyed by a lot of people! I still believe the ‘gap’ can be closed at some places, and I stand by what I said years ago, that a 50% Oldies / 50% ‘Other’ event could work well - Some disagreed, saying that half the time one half of the crowd would dance, and visa-versa.

This would be an interesting experiment - To whack a really good Oldies D.J (like Dave Evison) on, smack bang in the middle of Life-line…….Does anyone else think that would work, or is it just me?

I loved the last Life-line as it was btw - This is just a hypothetical question, to see how others are thinking :wink:

All the best,

Social source share

Agree with you there it is nice to have a mix venues like radcliffe and lowton this goes down really well! But where do you draw the line between the two I was DJ'ing at a niter few weeks back I was playing case of tyme manifesto as I was asked to play oldies ,a woman approached me and asked me to play something they know she asked me for out on the floor! After my spot of full on oldies I was told by the person who runs the venue that I could of played more oldies. They don't come more oldies than tunes like crazy baby, such misery and never the less which I played.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Agree with you there it is nice to have a mix venues like radcliffe and lowton this goes down really well! But where do you draw the line between the two I was DJ'ing at a niter few weeks back I was playing case of tyme manifesto as I was asked to play oldies ,a woman approached me and asked me to play something they know she asked me for out on the floor! After my spot of full on oldies I was told by the person who runs the venue that I could of played more oldies. They don't come more oldies than tunes like crazy baby, such misery and never the less which I played.

I think that about sums it up for me. Incredible. Which nighter was that? Pm if you like. 

Social source share

I think things are always changing - Sat night at Rushden, I had one request for ‘Sliced Tomatoes’, and another for ‘Jeanie Tracy - Making New Friends’….and it was noticeable that most danced to the Classics as well as unfamiliar tunes - that did not happen a short time ago.

The Scene is never going to be what it once was (whatever that means to you individually) but there is still good times ahead I recon :wink:

I'm off to enjoy Christmas - Have a goodun folks.

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

and it was noticeable that most danced to the Classics as well as unfamiliar tunes - that did not happen a short time ago.

All the best,

That's cos it's you Len.....you are now a "star" DJ and people will dance to yer sets.....whateva ya play.

Anyway Merry Xmas.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think things are always changing - Sat night at Rushden, I had one request for ‘Sliced Tomatoes’, and another for ‘Jeanie Tracy - Making New Friends’….and it was noticeable that most danced to the Classics as well as unfamiliar tunes - that did not happen a short time ago.

The Scene is never going to be what it once was (whatever that means to you individually) but there is still good times ahead I recon :wink:

All the best,

well said len

that's my feelings as well people will accept something new or different if its good ,

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

A soul pack record does't necessarily make it a common record.  John said he would use records for soul packs when he needed money.  He might have a box of 25 of a particular record, he might have a 100 but they were used regardless.  Very few might have turned up since so in essence some so called soul pack records might just be pretty rare and not as common as the term suggests.

In the early 70's you could buy soul packs in a tv and radio shop called Goulds in Wolverhampton, they would inevitably contain unknown records but sometimes semi known things (to us) like All I Need by The Temptations, but never anything great, anyway when my brothers' wife's Mum died 5 years ago, they cleaned out her house and her brother, Ray, who used to be into soul, had left some of his belongings there, and that included a 10 record Goulds soul pack which he sent over to me to see if I wanted them.  In it was Derek Martin - If You Go and The Four Voices - We Live In The Ghetto (I think thats what it's called).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Its xmas eve and good will to one and all ,but out o interest .. did anyone answer the original question :g:

Only i got lost after about page two and didnt fancy backtracking through six pages ... six pages and 259 replies :ohmy:

Social source share

Good Question, but unfortunately worded in away that people will file off into their specific groups & defend their position, rather than enter into an open debate.  Again as with so many threads on here, it seems to lend to the acceptance that there is division on the soul scene, and although only a fool would deny it, i always feel uncomfortable with it.

It all comes down to mind set rather than if a record is worthy or not, if you have a mind as so many oldies fans have, in that they are more than happy dancing every week to the records they've listened to since their teens, then they are not really interested in listening to anything new, and that is up to them, and i have no problem with that, in fact some ways they are the true soul fans as they have found what the want to listen to & are happy with it.

From a rare soul fans view, there is always another record to find, always searching never happy, from that view point they can never accept the oldies fans position, however it doesn't have be divisive, some D.J's can move easily between oldies and Rare, you only have to look at Mick H & Ted Massey, both with fantastic rare collections, but can play oldies nights without a problem, & i have total respect for both theses guys, and should be an example to us all.

So for me It all comes down to mind set rather than if a record is worthy or not.

I have to agree with all your comments there are two alternatives one playing the oldies 500 and rooms busy or playing good rare soul and empty rooms.Most guest d jays i know at events up in the north east always play standard Motown records first to get the floor full. When was Motown northern soul it seems that d/jays are scared to play to empty floors than try and play the rarer sounds, I do not know what the answer is. For me the best thing i do is travel the country and hear different records keeps me interested in the scene.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

no records should be played to brake the top 500

I'm guessing this means no records should be played outside the top 500? Not an uncommon point of view in some neck of the woods. Although some would deny it  :lol:

Social source share

I'm guessing this means no records should be played outside the top 500? Not an uncommon point of view in some neck of the woods. Although some would deny it  :lol:

think that people who class themselves as devotees of northern soul wouldn't agree about not going outside the top 500 .

for a start define the top 500 and I can guarantee if say they knew or could name 500 tracks they would all have a different top 500 ,

think people on here need to realise theres a lot of difference between people who just attend local soul nites to dance round their handbags and people who do go out to different venues and travel to hear the music and have a dance with like minded folk .whether that be oldies or any other genre of this music ,in other words be a little less critical of what others do or want and providing it doesn't stop you from doing what you want then leave them to it ..

regards B

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This would be an interesting experiment  - To whack a really good Oldies D.J (like Dave Evison) on, smack bang in the middle of Life-line…….Does anyone else think that would work, or is it just me?

I loved the last Life-line as it was btw - This is just a hypothetical question, to see how others are thinking :wink:

All the best,

That used to happen at the Blue rooms in Sale Colin C would play the latest stuff Dave Evison would roll up play a set of established northern it worked well for me I dont see a reason why it should,nt work today . :)

And that was the mid seventies the very era the time warp soulies are so in awe of :huh:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

That used to happen at the Blue rooms in Sale Colin C would play the latest stuff Dave Evison would roll up play a set of established northern it worked well for me I dont see a reason why it should,nt work today . :)

but there have been venues doin that for years and some still doin it,some on here talk a lot but never venture very far.By the way this comment isn't directed at you or anyone in particular.

Edited by Soultown andy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

think that people who class themselves as devotees of northern soul wouldn't agree about not going outside the top 500 .

for a start define the top 500 and I can guarantee if say they knew or could name 500 tracks they would all have a different top 500 ,

think people on here need to realise theres a lot of difference between people who just attend local soul nites to dance round their handbags and people who do go out to different venues and travel to hear the music and have a dance with like minded folk .whether that be oldies or any other genre of this music ,in other words be a little less critical of what others do or want and providing it doesn't stop you from doing what you want then leave them to it ..

regards B

Not criticising just responding to a post which seems to confirm that some don't want tunes outside of the top 500, unlike perhaps calling some "prawn sandwich and latte soullies" what ever that is  :yes:

Social source share

Not criticising just responding to a post which seems to confirm that some don't want tunes outside of the top 500, unlike perhaps calling some "prawn sandwich and latte soullies" what ever that is  :yes:

[/quote

ok your guessing that a lot of people believe that there are only 500 records and no other records should be played , although if asked some would deny this ,

Edited by barney
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I was just thinking, you could fit the top 500 into two nighters if you tried (maybe 25 records a spot x 20hours).

I wonder if anyone would organise it? All on original vinyl of course. I'd go to those two nighters. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!