• Replies 26
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Here's the sleeve notes from the album.

" Would You Believe" on Smash was number 41 in September 1967, and since the Smash label ended in 1969, they must have made to album within the next 2 years.

There's a single called "Count Down," recorded by 'The Tempests' on the Dominion Records from Salem, Virginia, 1962, might me one of their early outings?

Social source share

Thanks for that Simon... do you have a soundclip of that song you mention?

No, sorry, but from the sleeve notes it seems a lead singer was added around 1962, but I don't know if it's the same one on the album, and so wouldn't hazard a guess as to if it was a 'soul' record.

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Think The Lead singers name was Van Coble..he was the only black guy on the Piccy on the Back of their Lp...smashing Lp Too..Someday isa awesome song!!

Social source share

Yes, Hazel Martin was the singer, went on to record a version of Out of my life on Marco.

John Branch, the founder member of the band later joined a talent agency called Insight Talent Agency in Charlotte NC, he also started Surfside records in 1979 with General Johnson...

General knew south-eastern audiences, especially Carolinians, had remained rabidly loyal to beach music over the years. He also knew Mike Branch, a Charlotte-based talent agent and former member of a band called The Tempests. They united to start Surfside Records in 1979. "We worked together for 18 years, until Mike died," says General."Never signed a piece of paper - we just shook hands. I'm loyal. If I'm with you, I'm with you". "It could have been that way with Holland-Dozier-Holland. Being around those guys was like going to college for me. If they'd treated me right, I'd have been with them for years." Had that happened, fans might never have heard "Down at the Beach Club", "Loverboy", "Carolina Girls", "Gone Fishin' " and a dozen other hitson this retrospective. The Chairmen, who re-united as Surfside's most promotable band, might not be playing some 200 dates a year on a circuit that all but worships them.

GGeneral knew south-eastern audiences, especially Carolinians, had remained rabidly loyal to beach music over the years. He also knew Mike Branch, a Charlotte-based talent agent and former member of a band called The Tempests. They united to start Surfside Records in 1979. "We worked together for 18 years, until Mike died," says General."Never signed a piece of paper - we just shook hands. I'm loyal. If I'm with you, I'm with you". "It could have been that way with Holland-Dozier-Holland. Being around those guys was like going to college for me. If they'd treated me right, I'd have been with them for years." Had that happened, fans might never have heard "Down at the Beach Club", "Loverboy", "Carolina Girls", "Gone Fishin' " and a dozen other hitson this retrospective. The Chairmen, who re-united as Surfside's most promotable band, might not be playing some 200 dates a year on a circuit that all but worships them.eneral knew south-eastern audiences, especially Carolinians, had remained rabidly loyal to beach music over the years. He also knew Mike Branch, a Charlotte-based talent agent and former member of a band called The Tempests. They united to start Surfside Records in 1979. "We worked together for 18 years, until Mike died," says General."Never signed a piece of paper - we just shook hands. I'm loyal. If I'm with you, I'm with you". "It could have been that way with Holland-Dozier-Holland. Being around those guys was like going to college for me. If they'd treated me right, I'd have been with them for years." Had that happened, fans might never have heard "Down at the Beach Club", "Loverboy", "Carolina Girls", "Gone Fishin' " and a dozen other hitson this retrospective. The Chairmen, who re-united as Surfside's most promotable band, might not be playing some 200 dates a year on a circuit that all but worships them.

Social source share

Been mentioned before (at least once by me!), maybe it was over on RSF?, The Temps, sorry Tempests also played the backing on the Appreiciations great Sport outing "It's Better To Cry" and a friend of mine was lucky enough to have been invited to a bar-b-que with 4 members of the Tempests while on a buying trip in the Carolinas a few years back, where they revealed the Detroit connection and sang "Someday" and a few others a capella :thumbsup:

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

• 7 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!