Rarest Soul Label

The label that is most stated as the Rarest Soul Label is said to be Shrine.

However, please put forward your own nominations

Criteria

• The label must have released more the one release as an demo or issue to qualify as a label with releases rather than just a one off release, so we are looking for a label with a minimum of 2 releases.
  • Exclude unreleased items, ie items on tape or unreleased on 45 at the time
  • Exclude Acetates

You can select by either how Scarce the item is or by Value (not always an indicator we know but a guide or sorts)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

The label that is most stated as the Rarest Soul Label is said to be Shrine.

However, please put forward your own nominations

Criteria

• The label must have released more the one release as an demo or issue to qualify as a label with releases rather than just a one off release, so we are looking for a label with a minimum of 2 releases.
  • Exclude unreleased items, ie items on tape or unreleased on 45 at the time
  • Exclude Acetates

You can select by either how Scarce the item is or by Value (not always an indicator we know but a guide or sorts)

Just as an experiment type Shrine in as a search on popsike & see how many entries there are.

Edit: I should add that I realise this is not definitive but it's interesting to see the numbers non the less

Edited by tiberius
Social source share

I'd nominate a quite left-field choice ........ late 70's LA based Emkay Records.

But that's just coz I'm more into later sounds and more x-over stuff.

The majority of tracks released on 45's on the label sound great to me and those 45's certainly are rare.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

One of the hot ones these days seems to be Tuska, and Sen-Town appears to have a following for items that are hard to track down.  

My candidate for a 'sizeable' label is Gaye from Augusta, Georgia, with a good dozen or so releases.  Few items on the label are genuinely 'easy' to get, most are pretty tough to find, and some are excruciatingly elusive - and all of them seem to be top-notch examples of their type, spread between Northern Soul, Deep Soul, R&B and Garage Punk.

For a small label, I'd go for Phelectron; Jackie Daye and Terri Goodnight would be hard to beat as a pair of tough-to-find items, even with the pack of Jackie Days that turned up about ten years (ten years!) ago.

I'm keen to see what suggestions other people have.

All the best,

Nick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

One of the hot ones these days seems to be Tuska, and Sen-Town appears to have a following for items that are hard to track down.  

My candidate for a 'sizeable' label is Gaye from Augusta, Georgia, with a good dozen or so releases.  Few items on the label are genuinely 'easy' to get, most are pretty tough to find, and some are excruciatingly elusive - and all of them seem to be top-notch examples of their type, spread between Northern Soul, Deep Soul, R&B and Garage Punk.

For a small label, I'd go for Phelectron; Jackie Daye and Terri Goodnight would be hard to beat as a pair of tough-to-find items, even with the pack of Jackie Days that turned up about ten years (ten years!) ago.

I'm keen to see what suggestions other people have.

All the best,

Nick

Has there ever been a sen-town discography ?

Social source share

yeah, you,re right pete .dickie has the johnnie mae 45 track.

Calvin Williams was on the label as well.  If I remember correctly, there were a couple more artists on that label.  LaBeat certainly isn't a rare label.  I've seen hundreds of Masqueraders, James Shorter and Nelson Sanders, and several Al Williams.  I'll admit that the Lester Tipton is rare (but that doesn't make it a rare label.  I wouldn't even say that Northern Del-La is a "rare label".   I would say that a "rare label" (in terms of '60s-'70s Soul) is one that people who have looked through at least 100,000 45s or LPs during 1960-today, in cities all over USA have seen only a handful, even though they've been through masses of distributor stock and record store stock and thrift stores (in)/from all geographical areas.  Shrine is a rare label because virtually all their non sold or non given-away stock was destroyed.  Even given that, I'm sure there are "rarer" labels than Shrine.  I found several Shrine records in the mid '60s.  So, they did get to some shops and record mass closeouts and thrift stores in some quantity.  There are many little local labels that had very small press runs, no sales, and the small stock didn't get given away to very many people, and the handsful that did land in people's hands have been lost over the years.  THOSE labels might have only a few copies of each release known now.  They'd be rarer than Shrine, overall, because only some of Shrine's many releases are that rare.

Social source share

Artco for sure![/quot

ARTCO ...............no way , doesn't come close to .......TERI DE ...... What a brilliant label , out of L . A . Owned by the GREAT

Leonard Jewell Smith . Here's a few for starters !!

002 THE GROOVERS - I'M A BASHFUL GUY

003 THE SOUL SHAKERS - YOU'RE TURNIN'

004 LEONARD JEWELL - BETTIN' ON LOVE

005 JIMMY GRESHAM - THIS FEELIN' I HAVE

006 THE. PENETRATIONS - SWEET SWEET BABY

YEAH , I'M SPEECHLESS TOO !

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Isn't the shit rare one on Dottys a mispress? Michael Robinson has the only known copy I think...

it,s bloody good though.....what a tune!!....by lee jennings,but rumour has it it,s j/hampton
Social source share

I would say that Phelectron was the rarest.  Or did they find a box of each, in later years.  In all the looking I did from 1966 to 1980 (through millions of 45s, I only saw the one of each that I bought.  I know that a few were found in later years, but were enough found that it isn't thought of as super rare anymore?  I'm sure almost none (if any) were sold in record shops in 1966.

On the other hand, I've seen at least 30 Radio City records (many of them the same record) in various locations.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

No question it's a fantastic label (you forgot Sonny Craver) - but I wouldn't say it's that rare, I've had the Penetrations and still have Sonny Craver and have seen several copies of both. Come to that I've seen a few UK Kings in my time.

The rare shit one on LaSalle you probably mean is Ellen and The Shandells (do you still have it Sooty?) - this is a different La Salle. Love Lynn Terry with a passion - cack singing, cack recording, but there's something about it.

Used to have Lou Lawton Wrapped In A Dream on UK Speciality - never seen that anywhere else (the track being released om the UK Ember compilation).

Dave

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

The rare one on LaSalle, Lynn Terry? Glad it has stayed so rare, poor record.

Yep at last a rare record that no one cares about......awful rubbish
Social source share

I would say that Phelectron was the rarest.  Or did they find a box of each, in later years.  In all the looking I did from 1966 to 1980 (through millions of 45s, I only saw the one of each that I bought.  I know that a few were found in later years, but were enough found that it isn't thought of as super rare anymore?  I'm sure almost none (if any) were sold in record shops in 1966.

On the other hand, I've seen at least 30 Radio City records (many of them the same record) in various locations.

Robb, although your looking through huge warehouses does give you a lot of insight into relative rarities, soul music was such a local phenomenon with stuff only being distributed certain places that I think it's hard to judge by personal experience. Bob Miner tells me he saw 50 copies of the classics on yan-g at a flea market in the '80s, where did they go? probably in the trash... also, how many releases were on phelectron? there probably need to be at least 4 to be considered a real "label" imo, otherwise it's more one off.

kev roberts told me that oj simpson lawyer johnny cochran owned phelectron, I don't know if that's the case or not.

Social source share

Tuska, Saadia..even La Beat. Think they all do not qualifiy in the real meaning of this thread as all it takes for one to buy a run of these is to really have the dosh. They ARE around...

But try buying a set on Mars-La-Tour..

mars-la-tour wasn't even close to being a soul label, right?

Social source share

Robb, although your looking through huge warehouses does give you a lot of insight into relative rarities, soul music was such a local phenomenon with stuff only being distributed certain places that I think it's hard to judge by personal experience. Bob Miner tells me he saw 50 copies of the classics on yan-g at a flea market in the '80s, where did they go? probably in the trash... also, how many releases were on phelectron? there probably need to be at least 4 to be considered a real "label" imo, otherwise it's more one off.

kev roberts told me that oj simpson lawyer johnny cochran owned phelectron, I don't know if that's the case or not.

Yes. That is absolutely true.  As far as we know, they had only the 2 releases.  So, I guess we could call Phelectron a TWO-off. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!