Jazz Fm Cutting Back On Broadcasts

Sceneman

Guest Brian Fradgley

Will certainly miss Jazz FM on the car radio.

If anyone can suggest a comparable channel, would be pleased to know.

Exactly when does London become an Independent State ??

Social source share

they have made some dumb decision in the past so its not the first ,the management arent too bright it seems .you can buy a wifi radio but i am not prepared to write off my DAB radios already ,the BBC could grab their market should they wish to .

their advertisers wont be pleased as listeners around the world wont be buying their products ..

Social source share

they have made some dumb decision in the past so its not the first ,the management arent too bright it seems .you can buy a wifi radio but i am not prepared to write off my DAB radios already ,the BBC could grab their market should they wish to .

their advertisers wont be pleased as listeners around the world wont be buying their products ..

Do most of my listening to JazzFM in the car, so all this about four other ways to listen to it other than DAB is bollox.

Social source share

my guess is their listening figures will fall off a cliff on JAN 1 .ABOLISHING broadcasts outside london  is just crazy as they will find out in a few weeks time.

the national listener base must be huge compared with london only .their advertisers shoulld be asking for big discounts on their fees due to the drop in listeners .flicking on the radio is simple compared with the rigmarole of setting up A net conection via wifi .groan ....

peter young must  be shaking his head at the dumb management decisions

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest smoothwasson

bloody great , bought a dab for car just for jazz f m , I live in wales what chance have I got ..any other stations to recommend anyone ..?

Social source share

I'm not sure how much they will save, but they say that 60% of their listeners are in London. So, they are happy to lose up to 40% of their audience in one go!

Will miss Pete Young and the evening programmes, but the daytime stuff was mostly background music anyway.

Social source share

so there advertisers should get a 40% reduction in their advertising fees then ? seeing as their advertisers advertise products that appeal to all ages they wont be happy .if theyre planning on net broadcasting that wont appeal to all ages .my guess is they have been badly informed by some marketing nut who has convinced them to climb on the hitech bandwagon .a quick look at their twitter and facebook pages show very little feedback ,just a measly few respondants .

theyve started advertisng net radios but thats  a small niche market IMO ,who needs a net radio that allows a person to listen to 10,000 stations from around the world

Edited by sceneman
Social source share

Some of the above comments regarding advertisers may be unfounded as it's most certainly down to the lack or reduction of advertising that have probably influenced Jazz Fm's decision to down size.

I was told recently by someone in broadcasting that the cost to a radio station for a license to broadcast via DAB radio was £60,000 a year.

It's a real shame though with most of the local and larger independent radio stations now becoming syndicated (only needing to broadcast 10 hours of local radio a week) how restricted the stations playlists have become. I mean how many times in a day can you (or want to hear) Pickett's "Mustang Sally", what chance has any independent ladel or artist got to get the products heard. Although it does make it the job of the station recording their playlists for PRS easy.Dj's don't need any personal taste anymore all they have to do is present a show from a poole of tracks that put in front of them. Sad but true.

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Some of the above comments regarding advertisers may be unfounded as it's most certainly down to the lack or reduction of advertising that have probably influenced Jazz Fm's decision to down size.

I was told recently by someone in broadcasting that the cost to a radio station for a license to broadcast via DAB radio was £60,000 a year.

It's a real shame though with most of the local and larger independent radio stations now becoming syndicated (only needing to broadcast 10 hours of local radio a week) how restricted the stations playlists have become. I mean how many times in a day can you (or want to hear) Pickett's "Mustang Sally", what chance has any independent ladel or artist got to get the products heard. Although it does make it the job of the station recording their playlists for PRS easy.Dj's don't need any personal taste anymore all they have to do is present a show from a poole of tracks that put in front of them. Sad but true.

Dave

Good points there Dave, and there is no money in traditional radio stations anymore (if there ever was)……sorry to say. Apart from the BBC which is taxpayer funded they're all struggling to stay above the waterline. Sonos, Soundcloud, Mixcloud hasn't helped either……on the one hand DJs can post shows up, but on the other greater choice means fewer listeners to go round the main stations. You can probably find 500 shows playing "Mustang Sally" so increasingly mainstream stations are going to have to offer something a bit different to attract listeners. Maybe a guy that can beat out percussion by bashing a 12" single over his head in time to the music? :lol: Despite all this Tony Blackburn still seems to be very popular judging by the number of callers he gets with his cheesy mixes and one liners.

Sky channel is also an expensive route to go if they haven't done it before.

Happy new year to you both!

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

theyve had some famous names DJing on there lately so are they paying them big bucks or are they doing it free ?ramsey lewis amongst other famous names on the decks !!

they could ditch DAB and just stick with FM ,but theres a tech race on so bandwagons must be boarded.

Social source share

theres just birdsong broadcasting on their slot now ! i have just tuned to smooth radio which isnt too bad at some times of the day ,but the dinner jazz prog was good in the evenings .daytime was just shop muzak .

Edited by sceneman
Social source share

I think both terrestrial Radio and TV have given up the ghost. There's obviously no money anymore. The DAB licenses were ridiculously overpriced for an unproven medium which is inferior anyway. And TV? Forget it. How many times can ITV show "Love Actually"?

I don't think Jazz FM had any choice from a business perspective.

Ian D :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think both terrestrial Radio and TV have given up the ghost. There's obviously no money anymore. The DAB licenses were ridiculously overpriced for an unproven medium which is inferior anyway. And TV? Forget it. How many times can ITV show "Love Actually"?

I don't think Jazz FM had any choice from a business perspective.

Ian D :)

This is probably true Ian and goes back to my earlier point - there's just no money in terrestrial broadcasting anymore.......and before anyone asks there is no money to be made from soul music either unless you are selling old vinyl.....or putting on a big event.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

had this kind reply from the jazzfm people....

quote>>>>

Thanks for your email.  I am sorry you are no longer able to listen to us on DAB.

We had to make this decision in order to ensure the future of Jazz FM — we are a commercial business and it was stop National DAB or stop completely.  We should still be able to reach 80% of our audience, but are cutting our broadcast costs by 80% - if there were the same statistics for any other city in the country, we would have looked into getting on a DAB multiplex there instead.

You are right, we may lose more listeners, but it is a gamble we didn’t have a choice in as we couldn’t afford the National DAB costs.

There should be another National DAB multiplex starting soon which should be a lot more cost effective for us — it was supposed to have been announced last year, but we are still waiting for the announcement.

Once again I am so sorry that this has meant we are no longer available to you, but I hope you understand why we had to make this decision..  Please do mail me back or call me on the number below if you would like to talk about this further.

Best wishes,

Rosie

Rosie Kendrick

Head of Programmes and Content

• Helpful 1
Social source share

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/07/ive_seen_the_future_of_car_radio_and_dab_isnt_in_it/

Hands On Last month BMW rolled out the first cars to come with a fully integrated on-demand music-streaming service built in. Just before Xmas I took it through its paces to see how it performed and after an hour I was forced to conclude that things look ominous for digital radio, which is likely to be squeezed harder as on-demand services like this become more commonplace.

For this particular service, no cables are required and it includes a subscription deal that gives the buyer roaming access to the service, built for BMW by Rara, across five European countries including the UK at no extra cost.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!