Bulters = Butlers?

paultp

I have a copy of Laugh, Laugh, Laugh by The Butlers but on my copy Butlers is spelt Bulters. Manships guide doesn't have any info other than it being booted on Lost nite.

Here is a scan:

post-2247-1151256964.jpg

The dead wax has "A.M.S." then a funny squiqqle stamped in it followed by "P-1836-B" on the Laugh side. It is fairly heavy vinyl.

Is it a real one?

Thanks

Paul

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest in town Mikey

Agree with Nick, Pete.

Cant say I have ever heard about the misspelling tho.

Reminds me of Marco down at These Old Shoes. I popped in for 5 minutes as I was supposed to be at work. Stayed for his whole set, and he played this.

Also Marco and Rob Holmes on Jim's internet soul show. Both absolutely hammered, and Marco played this agin. I think he might like it too.

Social source share

I think it came out on both red and blue letter'd labels,yours looks real and is the rarer out of the two. :( Great 45,Jo Wallace plays it out.

Red lettering first issue, blue 2nd issue. Have seen mis-spelt copies before, wouild say genuine and just a pressing plant error.

Social source share

I have a copy of Laugh, Laugh, Laugh by The Butlers but on my copy Butlers is spelt Bulters. Manships guide doesn't have any info other than it being booted on Lost nite.

The 'Lost Nite' 45 is NOT a boot but a legal pressing actually done in the 60's out of Philly, quality on this Lost Nite 45 is second to none...if anyone has the single it's actually stamped very lightly and you can just about make it out 'Frankford and Wayne'. I have original 60's albums by Lee Andrews on the same (yellow) Lost Nite label, so really it's open to dispute that this is a re-issue label at all!

My advice...buy it on Lost Nite for a fiver now!

(Got it on Phil.L.A too and they are identical to the Lost Nite pressing even down to the run out markings).

Whatever, i'm sticking in my 'originals' box anyway :(

Social source share

The 'Lost Nite' 45 is NOT a boot but a legal pressing actually done in the 60's out of Philly, quality on this Lost Nite 45 is second to none...if anyone has the single it's actually stamped very lightly and you can just about make it out 'Frankford and Wayne'. I have original 60's albums by Lee Andrews on the same (yellow) Lost Nite label, so really it's open to dispute that this is a re-issue label at all!

My advice...buy it on Lost Nite for a fiver now!

(Got it on Phil.L.A too and they are identical to the Lost Nite pressing even down to the run out markings).

Whatever, i'm sticking in my 'originals' box anyway :(

People refer to the Lost Nite copies as bootlegs because there has always been some doubt as to the legitimacy of the labl.l Not claiming they weren't pressed in Philly in the Sixties, or that they have a Frankford Wayne stamp, but did Lost Nite actually have the rights to press them up is the question ?

Social source share

People refer to the Lost Nite copies as bootlegs because there has always been some doubt as to the legitimacy of the labl.l Not claiming they weren't pressed in Philly in the Sixties, or that they have a Frankford Wayne stamp, but did Lost Nite actually have the rights to press them up is the question ?

Good call Dave, just dug out my Lee Andrews l.p and it says on the back cover.... LOST NITE LP - 113 Produced And Owned By Crimson Records, inc.

So I guess that it's an off-shoot from the Crimson label.

It's a deffo original 1960's USA album, got it with a half dozen other original USA 60's albums from an old guy years ago who had them in the 60's when he lived in Phoenix.

Social source share

Red lettering first issue, blue 2nd issue. Have seen mis-spelt copies before, wouild say genuine and just a pressing plant error.

any idea why there were two issues (red/blue) chalky? was it a local hit?

Social source share

i'm guessing they must have, dave. i've got (for instance) quiet as it's kept on both rca and lost nite and can't believe lost nite would go up against rca (or that they'd think they could get away with it, as rca's reps, sales people and customers would have noticed and it would have fed back, surely?).

having said that, why do a lost nite repress of qaik anyway :(

Social source share

Good call Dave, just dug out my Lee Andrews l.p and it says on the back cover.... LOST NITE LP - 113 Produced And Owned By Crimson Records, inc.

So I guess that it's an off-shoot from the Crimson label.

It's a deffo original 1960's USA album, got it with a half dozen other original USA 60's albums from an old guy years ago who had them in the 60's when he lived in Phoenix.

Had the album,pretty poor for the best part of!!,sort of live recordings?,but all is not wasted,two belter`s on it,ballad type things,deffo` worth a listen,not seen one for ages

:(

Social source share

i'm guessing they must have, dave. i've got (for instance) quiet as it's kept on both rca and lost nite and can't believe lost nite would go up against rca (or that they'd think they could get away with it, as rca's reps, sales people and customers would have noticed and it would have fed back, surely?).

having said that, why do a lost nite repress of qaik anyway :ohmy:

Dan, Quiet As It's Kep on Lost Nite is a different version to the RCA one and it's miles better.

Social source share

Dan, Quiet As It's Kep on Lost Nite is a different version to the RCA one and it's miles better.

is that right pete? will have to dig out and have a listen to them which i probably haven't for 15+ years :ohmy: . meantime, as my boxes are all over the place, what's the difference?

i'd love to know the history of things like that... presume recorded twice at the same session? any idea which came out first? and what about value of each?

Social source share

Had the album,pretty poor for the best part of!!,sort of live recordings?,but all is not wasted,two belter`s on it,ballad type things,deffo` worth a listen,not seen one for ages

Yeah, 'Cold Grey Dawn' is a great little beat ballad off that l.p and I don't usually like 'live' recordings but this one's the bomb!

Think the 'Lost Nite' label ended around 1966 'cause I've got an old catalogue (which was slipped in the album) and it lists loads of records with release dates up until 1966 and looking at it and the Lost Nite 45's I have there seem to be no more releases. Included in the last few are Dreamlovers 'You Gave Me Somebody To Love' and Delettes 'Please Forgive Me'.

Social source share

Yeah, 'Cold Grey Dawn' is a great little beat ballad off that l.p and I don't usually like 'live' recordings but this one's the bomb!

Think the 'Lost Nite' label ended around 1966 'cause I've got an old catalogue (which was slipped in the album) and it lists loads of records with release dates up until 1966 and looking at it and the Lost Nite 45's I have there seem to be no more releases. Included in the last few are Dreamlovers 'You Gave Me Somebody To Love' and Delettes 'Please Forgive Me'.

I love Lost Night :lol: ,got Dreamlovers in Holland,found two while rootin` through,piles of Phily stuff,the nice mr Soulshrews had the other,1 "Timi`s" each i think?,Frankford/wayne stamps on em`,i wonder what the most unusual Lost Night issue is?,"cold grey dawn" how good is it?,brill`...............................For me,they`re "boots" when i`m buying :D 100% original,once in me collection :lol: .Ken

Social source share

I think it came out on both red and blue letter'd labels,yours looks real and is the rarer out of the two. ranting_1.gif Great 45,Jo Wallace plays it out.

Always thought this (blue) was a boot. Perhaps the blue copies are some sort of reissue because the run out has the A scratched out then a -R- then 'B', likewise the b is scratched out then a -R- then an 'A'. However, the labels, and numbers, are the same, i.e. Butlers Theme remaining the A side. Very odd.

Social source share

Always thought this (blue) was a boot. Perhaps the blue copies are some sort of reissue because the run out has the A scratched out then a -R- then 'B', likewise the b is scratched out then a -R- then an 'A'. However, the labels, and numbers, are the same, i.e. Butlers Theme remaining the A side. Very odd.

Both are originals there should be a small stamp under the label hard to find but it should be there

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Lost Nite was a US re-issue label along the lines of Music for Pleasure, which we all know released some great un-released tracks, so it's a good guess that some original releases actually came out on Lost Nite. I have a few Lost Nite LP's which I bought back in the early 70's some great tracks on them. blush.gif

Social source share

Talking of the Dreamlovers, it came out on WB & Mercury, whats the story there then ??

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Lost Nite was a US re-issue label along the lines of Music for Pleasure, which we all know released some great un-released tracks, so it's a good guess that some original releases actually came out on Lost Nite. I have a few Lost Nite LP's which I bought back in the early 70's some great tracks on them. :huh:

All those later Lee Andrews 45s on Lost Nite were only released on Lost Nite - which was, indeed, a sister label to Crimson and used almost exclusively for reissues. I can't remember which ones, but at least one or two of the LN Lee Andrews 45s have Crimson catalogue numbers scratched out in the deadwax, so there must have been some plan to issue more than just "Never The Less" and "I've Had It" on Crimson.

TONE :huh:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

I bought 3 or 4 copies of Laugh, laugh, laugh back from Philly in 1974, they either came from Val Shively's shop or Bernie Binnicks warehouse, can't remember, but they had blue lettering. Think I sold one to Levine.

the other tone

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!