Stolen Records

kimbo

Always bad to hear about nicked records on the scene,happened to me years ago before I got on the scene only it was family,(he's always been scum),but for it to be a mate,those that we choose as family that hurts,these are the kind of things that happen that put me off selling on eBay,I've brought over a thousand records online and only 2 have not turned up,1reissue from Germany and 1 from the uk(bobbettes demo), I felt so bad for the dealer who sent the latter one as I know his background but he was getting a lot of records nicked at his local P O OFFICE he was sending the records through, he eventually sent another copy out of his own collection, the one he orig' sold was a spare. So good luck guys with the records hope they turn up and name and shame the scum.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL...GUTTED is word that is meant to represent your feelings & emotions of loss of something or someone you have loved dearly, something very precious & meaningful that can't just be replaced, it is a word that describes a scenario of a traumatic event or situation of LOSS.

KIMBO'S statement is a familiar one to any trained Counsellor,  The LOSS Factor is a fact of modern life as we trust those people who have a similar passion & shared common interest, LOSS has 3 parts  the past = sadness, the present = anger, the future = fear, these 3 emotional states will jump from  one emotional state to another in an instant, and have an impact on the psyche that will change the personality of the individual,

The time spent in this emotional state can not be measured it can last a lifetime,

In the situation that KIMBO faces there is no quick solution to fix the problem of trust, a period of time passing will delimit the good guys from the bad, I feel for anyone in this situation of un soul like situation, that is part of our scene, and hope he finds the culprit sooner than later :g: DAVE K

Hi Dave, that's deep but true. and its the gutted feeling on a friends actions that hurt me most if I am honest. Respect Dave.

Social source share

Back in 1978, not long after I joined the navy, another lad in my mess was also on the scene.  What few records we had between us we kept together in a single box and would just play each others sounds.  One weekend the other lad took the box home.  When he got back he told me that the box had been stolen.  Whether this was the case or not I'll never know, I had little choice but to accept his version of events as I couldn't prove any different.  The fact that he didn't offer to compensate me pissed me off, given the fact that he'd "lost" them.  I wouldn't have accepted anything off him, but it would have been nice for him to offer.  I don't know to this day if he was telling the truth, but I never trusted him again.

Social source share

this is indeed a sad post, and people who do this are just scum,and have no part on our scene,i can also relate to this post, the only thing that has made me smile ,is my own pooch ,who i,d do anything for,he,s my best friend.also  stanley.

Nice 1 :lol:  :lol: :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Social source share

Gutted for you Kim, no mate would steal from another. I hope you find out who it was and then let everyone know.

Simon, same for you, hope you get your records back. The guy who has your records should be worried.

Cheers mate had one intresting pm. we will see if it comes to anything. Have a good xmas.

Social source share

For me it wouldn't just be the loss of the records its so hard to think which one of my fantastic friends would do this to me and Lisa,this is our house, why ?

Hi Gilly, cheers mate, yes Lisa is as upset as me.  I am having trouble as I can't imagine any of my friends doing this.  I know I am a bit of a clown when I'm out, but it has knocked me for 6.  Kimbo and Lisa

Social source share

Hi Gilly, cheers mate, yes Lisa is as upset as me.  I am having trouble as I can't imagine any of my friends doing this.  I know I am a bit of a clown when I'm out, but it has knocked me for 6.  Kimbo and Lisa

It will all come out in the wash,it always does

Social source share

Hi Kimbo,

Firstly apologies again that I haven’t commented on this until now. As I explained last night, I was determined to leave soul alone this Christmas and focus on the family.That said, I should have backed you up on here straight away (an oversight on my part) which needs addressing….

As ya know, I was worried that this incident could easily eat you up inside, and effect the faith you have in others, in fact, the Scene in general - If those special bonds disappear, there isn’t a Scene.

I don’t actually know what the heck I have on my shelves, and am disappointed that I have to consider cataloguing (let me know when you are available to do so Lisa) :wink: …..If anyone has took any from my shelves (apart from being flattered) :D - Congratulations! You have got away with it….But as I texted Kimbo, remember…..“It is better to be stolen from, than to have to steal”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry this post is going on a bit, but it is important that you are reminded all is not lost Kimbo.

…..Don’t lose faith mate, the odd ‘exception to the rule’ is bound to throw you for a while, you still have very loyal mates that you can trust (do not doubt that)

….A few days after a session round Dave and Lisa Vanners house, I noticed my ‘Reggie Alexander — It’s Better’ was missing, I presumed that it simply ended up in the wrong record box (no suspicions)….I rang Dave…..”I ain’t seen it, I’ll have a proper look, and ring you straight back”…….”F*ckin’ hell Len, it had fallen down the back, and it was between a couple of L.P’s — I’d never have noticed them if you hadn’t said….and guess what….there was a couple of friends down there too”…..I hadn’t even noticed, or mentioned the other two (titles irrelevant in this instance but both were very rare)…. ”Oooops” I said, and we both had a laugh about it — There was never a question of suspicion.

I put a lot of thought into whether I should play ‘The Velours — I’m Gonna Change’ for you at The Pembo last night (just in case you may have took it the wrong way)….In fact, at the time of this incident, me and Nina had a discussion about giving you my Velour’s (and Gil Blanding) because I also felt your pain — But it’s not the records, it’s the trust! (Hence me playing The Velour’s last night)

Kimbo, you have good friends — we may be an odd bunch, but we are as loyal and trustworthy to you as ya ‘Dug’ is....(Northants language meaning 'Dog')

Len ‘n’ Nina x

P.s — A friendly point to zootsuit (One of our ‘gang’) Probably best not to mention your John Manship situation publicly. He is a record dealer, and most would see that as business, but if it does bother you, I’m sure John wouldn’t mind speaking to you direct about the deal (The worse price will always be to a dealer)

Edited by LEN
Social source share

To say I am double-gutted is an understatement.  Discovered, after checking my collection many times that 3 records have been stolen from my home by one of my friends.  I have no idea which one, because I value and trust them all, or I thought I could.  All my friends are from the soul scene, some I have known from the mid 70's and others for over 10 years.  Who would suddenly change, and steal from our home? 

I know someone who's back in Northants having apparently toured the southern counties being light fingered and conning cash out of his mates (myself included) before moving on.

PM'd ya mate.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Social source share

Guest mellytee

Sorry to read all of this Kimbo can I just step in with this?

If the person who has taken accidentally or purposefully the records from your home can they not see what they have done to you and have some conscience? Maybe they could

a) return the records

b) replace the records

c) reimburse any money made from sale of records 

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY.....

d) grow some, own up and take responsibility for their actions. Stand up on here and admit, apologise and make amends.

Had not read this thread til today so completely unaware last night; good to see you X

Mel

Edited by mellytee
Social source share

Sorry to read all of this Kimbo can I just step in with this?

If the person who has taken accidentally or purposefully the records from your home can they not see what they have done to you and have some conscience? Maybe they could

a) return the records

b) replace the records

c) reimburse any money made from sale of records 

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY.....

d) grow some, own up and take responsibility for their actions. Stand up on here and admit, apologise and make amends.

Had not read this thread til today so completely unaware last night; good to see you X

Mel

Hi Mel Thanks. Good to see you and the gang. It was a good night. Have a good xmas and 2014. see you soon with my other two cronies :thumbsup:

atb Kimbo x

Social source share

I know someone who's back in Northants having apparently toured the southern counties being light fingered and conning cash out of his mates (myself included) before moving on.

PM'd ya mate.

cheers Kev Thanks for that. Have got back to you. Kimbo.

Social source share

Hi Kimbo,

Firstly apologies again that I haven’t commented on this until now. As I explained last night, I was determined to leave soul alone this Christmas and focus on the family.That said, I should have backed you up on here straight away (an oversight on my part) which needs addressing….

As ya know, I was worried that this incident could easily eat you up inside, and effect the faith you have in others, in fact, the Scene in general - If those special bonds disappear, there isn’t a Scene.

I don’t actually know what the heck I have on my shelves, and am disappointed that I have to consider cataloguing (let me know when you are available to do so Lisa) :wink: …..If anyone has took any from my shelves (apart from being flattered) :D - Congratulations! You have got away with it….But as I texted Kimbo, remember…..“It is better to be stolen from, than to have to steal”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry this post is going on a bit, but it is important that you are reminded all is not lost Kimbo.

…..Don’t lose faith mate, the odd ‘exception to the rule’ is bound to throw you for a while, you still have very loyal mates that you can trust (do not doubt that)

….A few days after a session round Dave and Lisa Vanners house, I noticed my ‘Reggie Alexander — It’s Better’ was missing, I presumed that it simply ended up in the wrong record box (no suspicions)….I rang Dave…..”I ain’t seen it, I’ll have a proper look, and ring you straight back”…….”F*ckin’ hell Len, it had fallen down the back, and it was between a couple of L.P’s — I’d never have noticed them if you hadn’t said….and guess what….there was a couple of friends down there too”…..I hadn’t even noticed, or mentioned the other two (titles irrelevant in this instance but both were very rare)…. ”Oooops” I said, and we both had a laugh about it — There was never a question of suspicion.

I put a lot of thought into whether I should play ‘The Velours — I’m Gonna Change’ for you at The Pembo last night (just in case you may have took it the wrong way)….In fact, at the time of this incident, me and Nina had a discussion about giving you my Velour’s (and Gil Blanding) because I also felt your pain — But it’s not the records, it’s the trust! (Hence me playing The Velour’s last night)

Kimbo, you have good friends — we may be an odd bunch, but we are as loyal and trustworthy to you as ya ‘Dug’ is....(Northants language meaning 'Dog')

Len ‘n’ Nina x

P.s — A friendly point to zootsuit (One of our ‘gang’) Probably best not to mention your John Manship situation publicly. He is a record dealer, and most would see that as business, but if it does bother you, I’m sure John wouldn’t mind speaking to you direct about the deal (The worse price will always be to a dealer)

Len EXCELLENT night last night, re the above...Its over 16 years ago, still think he's a thief !!!!!!. AND I have no wish to discuss with him OR ANYONE ELSE. I STAND BY WHAT I HAVE SAID !!!!

Edited by ZootSuit
Social source share

Len EXCELLENT night last night, re the above...Its over 16 years ago, still think he's a thief !!!!!!. AND I have no wish to discuss with him OR ANYONE ELSE. I STAND BY WHAT I HAVE SAID !!!!

No worries, that's your business, - I didn't want you having any hassle by mentioning it that's all, let's not give it anymore oxygen (keep the thread focussed) :wink: 

It was great to see everyone last night - What fun :rofl: 

See ya soon mate.

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Hi Kimbo,

Len ‘n’ Nina x

Hi Len, Cheers mate a top reply to an old mate (be being the old!) ha ha You hang on to ya toons mate, But knowing you thought that doesn't suprise me and its a good ol boy that thinks that way.. Bet the reason you only got round to posting because it was that bloody hat you were sporting on Sat nite got jammed over your eyes. I see a new double act to rival Laural and Hardy Topsy and Dobsy.. Anyhow  cheers for that Len see you soon. Hope you and Nina and the family have a good xmas new year.

Edited by kimbo
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Back in 1978, not long after I joined the navy, another lad in my mess was also on the scene.  What few records we had between us we kept together in a single box and would just play each others sounds.  One weekend the other lad took the box home.  When he got back he told me that the box had been stolen.  Whether this was the case or not I'll never know, I had little choice but to accept his version of events as I couldn't prove any different.  The fact that he didn't offer to compensate me pissed me off, given the fact that he'd "lost" them.  I wouldn't have accepted anything off him, but it would have been nice for him to offer.  I don't know to this day if he was telling the truth, but I never trusted him again.

Trust can never come back once broken mate,even though you may forgive you can not trust the person ever again.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Believe it or not Manus, the guy went on to become a Royal Naval officer.  Says it all really.

From that rank he no doubt demanded respect and worse of all had blokes who were unaware of his unsavoury personality traits looking to him for guidance  and putting their trust when carrying out orders in a man who was very ,very likely a thief and liar who would cheat on his mates,so much for integrity then.

Social source share

PM'd ya mate.

Hi Kev,

I know its not me be these posts are a bit dangerous - I live in Northants and tour the South :-)

And if you have 100% evidence, you can just post their name here............

Cheers

Kevin

Social source share

Hi Kev,

I know its not me be these posts are a bit dangerous - I live in Northants and tour the South :-)

And if you have 100% evidence, you can just post their name here............

Cheers

Kevin

Sorry Kevin, it's not you nor anyone that I know who is currently 'active' on the scene. When I say toured the southern counties I mean lived in various areas - until his dirty deeds caused him to move on. Nor is it anyone I would normally associate with my home county of Northants. According to Kimbo he's likely living in Skeggy now ( he's not the culprit in kimbo's case btw) Not gonna name him as I don't want to forewarn him of what's gonna happen once he's located. Anyone that wants to know can PM me or look at post #119 of the 2011 'Soul Scene Villains' thread.

What price friendship eh?

:hatsoff2: Kev

Edited by KevinKent
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Late 70's i lent if you like about 20 records to a 'friend' i use the term loosely,a while went by and i says to him one day those records of mine and he answers back quick as a flash which records ? i laughed i just thought he was joking but then it turned serious with me about to kick his lights out and he still swore blind and denied he had ever got them,i let it go as i didn't want the inevitable which was a court appearance at that point.......say no more, so he got away with it,not valuable then but some may have been a few quid now but what a friend !!

Hope you get yours returned soon mate.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Late 70's i lent if you like about 20 records to a 'friend' i use the term loosely,a while went by and i says to him one day those records of mine and he answers back quick as a flash which records ? i laughed i just thought he was joking but then it turned serious with me about to kick his lights out and he still swore blind and denied he had ever got them,i let it go as i didn't want the inevitable which was a court appearance at that point.......say no more, so he got away with it,not valuable then but some may have been a few quid now but what a friend !!

Hope you get yours returned soon mate.

Thanks Joe.

Social source share

Kimbo

Gutted for you mate and Lisa, your house was always welcoming and you boxes of tunes always open for viewing.

Have you thought about tailoring human skin? if you need any "help" in persuading/re educating the guilty let me know, I know some real good teachers.

It has been awhile since we last saw each other so hope you and Lisa are both well under this cloud.

seasons greetings to you

Dave H

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kimbo

Gutted for you mate and Lisa, your house was always welcoming and you boxes of tunes always open for viewing.

Have you thought about tailoring human skin? if you need any "help" in persuading/re educating the guilty let me know, I know some real good teachers.

It has been awhile since we last saw each other so hope you and Lisa are both well under this cloud.

seasons greetings to you

Dave H

Hello Dave how you doin. If I tailored in human skin it would be my own these days... blind as a bat now. Have a good xmas and new year. Have to say been bowled over by all the stuff on here. Take care buddy hope to cross paths next year sometime.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Hi Kimbo,

Len ‘n’ Nina x

Len that post is from  a true friend to Kimbo mate,aespecially the sort of true soul brother friendship that means so much to him and what he and yourself and many more on the scene value so highly and apart from exceptions is what it has always been like for most of us and so it should continue.Record thefts as I have said as well as benefiting the thief financialy and satisfying things such as greed and jealousy (temporarily) also serve in my opinion to try to undermine that soul bro thing that we have (with exceptions of course) but only really serve to strentghen that bond between folk on the scene  who  as in this example all rally round,it my belief that although these thefts seem to be getting more ferequent   theres still enough folk to around to do something about it no matter what that answer may be.Have a great christmas with your family and very soulful new year Manus.

Social source share

I’ve just ‘nipped’ on here as Nina is trying to calm our kids down - I seem to have the opposite effect  :D (They have just had a phone call from Santa) :wink: 

……The Soul Scene is a place that seems to bring out true ‘human spirit’…..Sadly a thing that is getting sparser in humans generally, so is bound to ‘spill over’. But as Manus pointed out - when it does, it strengthens those that have it (and their bonds)

Merry Christmas all :wink: 

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Feel your pain Kimbo,

I lost 30 odd in one go many years ago and it was deffo someone I know - can't prove it etc...

If any of the tea leaves concerned in all these posts are (god forbid) soul source members - close your accounts down and f** off, you are not soul fans - the discs are worthless in your hands!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!