Sons And Daughters

Heres a variation on an old theme

My daughter is 12 (going on 16) and is full of the normal stroppy teenager attitude. She likes what I would call rock but is probably known by some other name these days. My love of soul has not been passed on, not for want of trying.

Does anyone out there have any offspring that likes our music?

This also brings up the old question of what will our scene be like in 10 or 20 years time when those who are left will look even more ancient to any potential new recruits than they do now.

Just read the last bit.

Did not mean to imply that we are all old gits, although some of us are more sprightly than others LOL.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

My sons 9 & unfortunately seems to prefer Queen & more rock stuff!!

Oh how I have tried to show him the error of his ways. His mother is into Johnny cash/Gram Parsons type thing. Maybe he's rebelling against his parents.

Funny thing is though if a tune appears in a movie (ie Sly Stone in Shrek) he will suddenly like it.

Although a couple of things he likes to sing along too (the Ideals - The Gorilla/Falcons - Im a fool).

Mike

Social source share

Got a daughter (FRANCESCA) who is 7 yrs old, into busted.mcfly & all the boy bands.but also loves listening to soul, one of her favourites is Jean carn-if you wanna go back .

Social source share

Well my 20 year old son borrows enough of my records to DJ for breaks and beats so I take it he must like them. I never forced them to like it and I am constantly amazed at the number of young people who are into old music.

I was in Leeds this week and my wife and I turned up at Move On Up at the Hi Fi club. Now I knew it was young people's club but I go to Goodfoot and the GoGo where mosts are younger than us but there was nobody over thirty maybe even 25 at Move on up. For the hour we stayed we heard a lot of classic northern soul and watched a whole load of kids enjoy themselves. There were about 150 in the room and about half agin waiting outside at midnight.

I am well aware that Goth and Retro nights are attractive to certain groupings of young people because the types of music played means no neds will be in attendance. However they appeared to me to be enjoying the music and they paid $4 to get in on a Wednesday night when in Glasgow or Edinburgh it would be free or just a couple of pounds.

Social source share

My parents were'nt into Soul music, so why I am, maybe it was something to do with being a teenager in the 70's and listening to soul on the radio, also there were more soul clubs around then. Unfortunately my kids prefer the c--p on TOP's & the local radio station which might play R.Kelly if you're lucky, even though I play soul everyday I just can't seem to tune them into what I like, so what's the future, think it's going to fade away unfortunately, cos the majority of us soulies are in our 40's/ 50's and have enjoyed the music for years, just can't see how the kids today can appreciate soul music in all it forms without any prominent soul d.j's on the national/local radio stations. :thumbsup:

Social source share

My Daughters aged 7 and 12 and my niece aged 12 were brought up on a diet of soul, the 12 year olds are now finding their own niche but it is in the modern soul vein but love the out and out oldies as well,

The 7 year old does a great sing along to loads but loves Joanne Courcy, Cookie Jacksons - do you still love me and Carol Fredericks,

I put some tunes up for sale on E-bay a while back and the kids went mad so I think its safe to say that there is a generation of kids that genuinly like the music.

PS my sisters kids up in tyneside are mad on 60's soul as well.

Geeoooordie :thumbsup:

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

Im 23 and love every thing about Northern, I started listening to motown and more funk orientated stuff, my mum always talked about northern so i went to a local night.

It was ok and I really enjoyed seeing my usual bus driver snortin powder in the toilets, but i found the djs were a bit negative towards me and my piers, specially when we requested some tunes. (looking back rick james superfreak wasnt the best song to ask for, the dj looked like id cum in his mums soup when i asked for it)

a few years later I went to an allnighter and loved it everyone was pleased to see young faces, and the dj let a couple of mainstreamers through to keep us going

Never looked back

del

Social source share

Frank. Glad you enjoyed it, cos that's my residency! And it would have been me DJing.

I get a massive kick out of seeing a room of 400 Kids go mad for the Majestics or Don Gardner. And another 200 outside queuing to get in. With no preconceptions, no pretence, but all fun. I do it cos it reminds me how exciting soul still is. On all sides of the fence. And you get to remember how stunning and passionate tracks like 'If You Really Love Me' sound at 250 db! I'm still positive there's very few weekly clubs like it in the North. That's not me blowing my own, because it was around long before I got involved and was a punter for years before taking over DJ duties.

Let me know if you're in the vicinity again (or indeed anyone else) and I'll put you on the list. So you don't have to pay the tax. :thumbsup:

Social source share

My parents were'nt into Soul music, so why I am, maybe it was something to do with being a teenager in the 70's and listening to soul on the radio, also there were more soul clubs around then. Unfortunately my kids prefer the c--p on TOP's & the local radio station which might play R.Kelly if you're lucky, even though I play soul everyday I just can't seem to tune them into what I like, so what's the future, think it's going to fade away unfortunately, cos the majority of us soulies are in our 40's/ 50's and have enjoyed the music for years, just can't see how the kids today can appreciate soul music in all it forms without any prominent soul d.j's on the national/local radio stations. :thumbsup:

link

Don't think that future soul scene is going to be all that bad. There may well be dwindling of the soul revivalists crowd in their 40's & 50's, but there is still a hardcore of under 30's that are getting into the music and from there the scene. IMHO this hardcore is growing quite steadily largely thanks to the likes of Mr Bolton et al.

My feeling is that there are those getting into rare soul through the deep funk scene and hip hop scene - DJ's like Keb Darge and Adam Leaver throwing more than a few soul records into the stew.

The other things to consider are the power of the ipod and the utter shite alternatives for those looking for a night out who are not into image over substance.

The vast array of nights and nighters may well dwindle, but wasn't this just what happened in the late 80's and early 90's?

The music has definitely got legs and speaks for itself, the only problem is if all the 45's get sold off to various corners on ebay :o

Social source share

I'm still not sure that the hardcore scene per-se has a massive future. That's not for want of trying! There are really only a small number of younger people who do the regular soul circuit. Notably young Paul from manchester and Richard from Yorkshire, whose own parents still are active go-ers. I remember when I was the youngest for a long time. But I know I'm growing up when I see the infrequent 18 year old attend do's. I know London has a much younger fan base.

Saying that, a few weeks ago I threw caution to the wind and played Linda Griner at midnight to a full house. I watched in awe and amazement as a girl in front of the decks clapped with glee and sang every word back to me! I couldn't believe she was aware of one of the more obscure Motown sides. And it gave me great hope.

Social source share

Just to say aswell my wife who is now 40 has only recently started getting into soul (since we started going to nighters again, well first time for her) so its not just younger folk who can get into the scene, and she was a Cand W fan to boot!

Social source share

Well I'm 26 (hopefully still considered to be young blood) and I have been doing the soul circuit for the past couple of years. Ok I've not got much experience in this arena but I certainly have passion for it and have been all over the country to various events. My favourites being The 100club, The Wilton, Notts Union, Lifeline and NCSC at Manchester, oh yes and I've only been the once but Middleton nighter was spot on.

I got into it through my pops (used to attend the Twisted Wheel regularly in his younger days but got babbed up and stopped going) who left bits of old motown and soul lying around the house. I always had a fascination for his vinyl collection and he seemed to encourage me to listen and play it. I started off going to mod nights but it just wasn't enough for me. So I started to delve deeper and started buying northern and rare soul cd's. I attended my first "do" at the Station Hotel in Newcastle with a bunch of skinheads I knew from university and spent the night completely amazed by the acrobatics, that someone of a similar age to my dad was performing on the dancefloor. And even though I dared not venture onto the dancefloor I loved every minute of that night and as cheesy as it sounds my life did change.

I was also lucky enough to meet a bunch of fantastic people who let me join them in their northern adventures and introduce me to a whole range of amazing soul sounds, which on the whole seems to be rare stuff rather than oldies.

Just to add my dad loves my enthusiasm and passion for it and we can sit and talk or argue for hours about the music and the scene and I'm sure any day now he'll agree to come to a do with me. Not sure he'll be able to keep up on the dancefloor though!! :rolleyes::thumbsup:thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I was hoping this thread was going to discuss that great Australian soap opera 'Sons & Daughters'. How I remember being off school in '86 with mumps watching it. Laid on the sofa with a bottle of Lucazade (before it went all trendy and sporty!) with your mum running round the lounge with the hoover.

:rolleyes:whistling.gif

Shane

Social source share

In my experience most kids who grew up with theur Dads/Mums into soul like it to start off with then rebel against it when they get into their own scene.

I still find it really sad to see 14 and 15 year olds at weekenders, taken along by their proud mum and dad, usually dressed up in a bowling shirt and baggy trousers jumping around the floor as if it was Wigan in 1976! Just let kids be kids for gods sake, its not a young persons scene and its never going to be. I dont think I`ve ever seen the same 15 year old 2 years in a row, just because they grow out of it, its natural, dont try to stop it!

Chris.

Social source share

In my experience most kids who grew up with theur Dads/Mums into soul like it to start off with then rebel against it when they get into their own scene.

I still find it really sad to see 14 and 15 year olds at weekenders, taken along by their proud mum and dad, usually dressed up in a bowling shirt and baggy trousers jumping around the floor as if it was Wigan in 1976! Just let kids be kids for gods sake, its not a young persons scene and its never going to be. I dont think I`ve ever seen the same 15 year old 2 years in a row, just because they grow out of it, its natural, dont try to stop it!

Chris.

link

Totally agree with you Chris.

It is sad to see the young ones dressed up like their dad at Wigan circa '75. I still think that kids under 16 should not be allowed in any soul event.

Off-topic here but I would also like to see an end to those new age parents who take their little ones to restuarants. Kids make noise and lots of mess - that is their job basically. :angry: Take em to those horrible wacky warehouses or whatever they are called. :rolleyes:

Shane

Social source share

Chris.

link

IMO the worst offenders were a couple at the Prestatyn weekender '03 who put there young kids (aged about 3-4 yrs old) to sleep on stage in front of the huge speakers in the main room. Surely that can't do their poor ears any good!

Social source share

My little girl (6) loves all the girly singer sounds like The soulettes, the vonettes...well anything that ends in "ette" really. But she also likes Busted and all that stuff too. Know this is obvious but the main way that people get into this music is by going to all niters,meeting other soulies, hearing the music played for real..until you do that, it's difficult to appreciate what it's all about. So, if you're a teenager,you'll be more inclined to do what your mates are doing. Luckily,when I was a young 'n ( in the dark old days of the eighties...) all my mates were mods so we got into it that way-The good Old Cloud 9 mod alldayer for under 18s in Manchester. Quadrophenia on the big screen with the sound down ,a fight in every corner and Julian Covey whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!