Austrailian Book ? Anyone Know Anything About It ?

Dave Rimmer

To the Ends of the Earth: Northern Soul and Southern Nights in Western Australia (Hardback)

by Paul Mercieca, Anne Chapman, Marnie O'Neill

Northern Soul is a cultural phenomenon twice removed from its original source in Britain in the late 1960s. Rooted in gospel and rhythm and blues music, with pounding "four-to-the floor" beats, it is often accompanied by swirling strings, vibraphone flourishes, and infectious clapping. Since the 1960s Northern Soul has spread globally, via the Internet and migration, to such unlikely places as Medellin in Colombia. By giving voice to the members of this scene, this book explores theories about how identity and cultural literacy evolve through engagement with popular culture. It seeks to contribute to understandings about patterns of economic and media consumption, informal learning, intercultural communication, and about how migrants perceive themselves and form connections with others.

Found it on Waterstones website, so I thought I'd ask on here whether anyone had read / seen it, and is it worth the £37.50 it coists ?

Social source share

You can read through a few early pages in the book here ..............

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ends-Earth-Northern-Southern-Australia/dp/0761860789/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387703764&sr=1-1&keywords=To+the+Ends+of+the+Earth%3A+Northern+Soul

It was printed by a US University Press & the writers have / had links to an Aussie Uni. Guess it is a bit literary & educational in tone. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

To the Ends of the Earth: Northern Soul and Southern Nights in Western Australia (Hardback)

this book explores theories about how identity and cultural literacy evolve through engagement with popular culture. It seeks to contribute to understandings about patterns of economic and media consumption, informal learning, intercultural communication, and about how migrants perceive themselves and form connections with others.

Bloody hell, is that what Northern soul is.... I thought it was just going out for a beer and a dance... and if your luck some of the other... :wub:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Northern Soul is a cultural phenomenon twice removed from its original source in Britain in the late 1960s. Rooted in gospel and rhythm and blues music, with pounding "four-to-the floor" beats, it is often accompanied by swirling strings, vibraphone flourishes, and infectious clapping. Since the 1960s Northern Soul has spread globally, via the Internet and migration, to such unlikely places as Medellin in Colombia. By giving voice to the members of this scene, this book explores theories about how identity and cultural literacy evolve through engagement with popular culture. It seeks to contribute to understandings about patterns of economic and media consumption, informal learning, intercultural communication, and about how migrants perceive themselves and form connections with others.

Found it on Waterstones website, so I thought I'd ask on here whether anyone had read / seen it, and is it worth the £37.50 it coists ?

Hiya Dave. If the synopsis is anything to go by, the book could be a heavy read... Not sure how major the soul scene is in Perth, but it appears to flourish in other Australian cities so this could be worth checking out. Academic book price a slight deterrent though...

Social source share

Paul Mercieca frequents the Irish club in Perth and is an avid soul record collector,

I believe this book formed part of his PhD.

Perth has probably the largest contingent of expat soulies in Australia and has a thriving soul scene,

At present there are monthly  events run by Pete Fowler at the Irish club, Nigel Loveless, Barry Simpson at the Fly by Night, a couple of other 'oldies' nights and a newer event for the 'hipster" younger crowd run by Ash Pedrick at Wolf Lane

I suppose that it needs a "heavy read" try to explain how a small underground club based music scene continues to absorb people 50 years later.

How the love of the music gives people an "in" when  visiting other parts of the world.

I'm not an academic, but have often wondered about the longevity of Northern Soul, the passion of collecting vinyl. the social aspect of meeting for a dance, the DJ rivalry, making new friends etc. 

Paul interviewed many people about where, when it started for them, why they continue with it, all the questions that you find in the articles and postings here on Soul Source

Mal C's beer and dance phrase sums it up without explaining why.I suppose the book seeks to understand the hows whys and wherefores

Edited by cementman
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

How's it going Dave?

Yep Cementman's got it in one - Paul Mercieca combined his passion for rare soul music with an academic project at the University where he works as a lecturer and decided to base his thesis on the local NS scene.  What interested him was the uniqueness of a music scene that can still flourish in remote corners of the world such as Perth, hence the title "To The Ends Of The Earth".  It's mainly centred on the Irish Club which I started 17 years ago and is still going strong and all the characters are my mates but with aliases using the same initials (I'm "Pat Fisher" for example).

Obviously it's worth the money and a blinding read for us lot but I couldn't really say whether you'd think it was wort£37.50 Dave.  It's an academic piece and well thought out and written IMO by a bloke who is a genuine knowledgeable NS fan (even if he does support Man City) :dash2: 

Cheers..........Pete

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!