Love Recipe - Calvin Harris Vs. Lt Davis?

Andreas B

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Rob_Sevier

Seen now that Numero has issued a 45 of Calvin Harris "Love Recipe". Sonic Wax also did a one-sided 45 release of this tune under the name LT Davis. In listening to samples of both I can't really tell much of a difference, is there one?

While I haven't heard the Sonic Wax version, a glance at the label indicates that it was licensed from the bungling bootlegger Joe Lopez, who had lifted a brace of master reels from Stereo Sonic studios. He wasn't able to identify who the artist was, so he made one up (thus Lt. Davis.) With boba.'s help, we identified the songwriter of the song, who identified the artist (and the related Young Souls artist, recorded at roughly the same time, also issued in the Eccentric Soul series.) Although Calvin Harris is long passed-away, we've been able to work with the producer/songwriter of the material.  

Social source share

Joe Lopez had played me the young souls material off a CD-R in his car, he made up name for them, something like the "Fantasy Three". He also had material that was released (he had the Ivorys on Despenza which I pointed out to him when the track played) but wasn't even knowledgeable enough to know that it was released, and since the tapes weren't labeled, he probably would have licensed that stuff too. He had two CD-Rs worth of material.

Social source share

While I haven't heard the Sonic Wax version, a glance at the label indicates that it was licensed from the bungling bootlegger Joe Lopez, who had lifted a brace of master reels from Stereo Sonic studios. He wasn't able to identify who the artist was, so he made one up (thus Lt. Davis.) With boba.'s help, we identified the songwriter of the song, who identified the artist (and the related Young Souls artist, recorded at roughly the same time, also issued in the Eccentric Soul series.) Although Calvin Harris is long passed-away, we've been able to work with the producer/songwriter of the material.  

Thanks for the info Rob. Here's a link so you can hear the LT Davis recording on Sonic Wax:

https://www.rarenorthernsoul.com/70s-80s-and-crossover/1403/love-recipe/#product

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!