Any Bb Holes In Boots?

Ljblanken

i was just thinking of boots and how people try and make them look "real". have you ever noticed BB holes in boots to make them look legit? i don't know that i've ever seen one. 

would that be hard to do? (i always heard they ran a heated rod through a stack of records at the factory to make BB holes)

Social source share

think its walk like a man has a black spot on the boot must have photocopied the label from an original with a drill hole

kev

As does the WD boot of Walter Jackson - Where Have All The Flowers Gone.

I can't recall any boots that have been holed, but as Pete says he's seen some, they must out there.

Although I know what the hole is for, why are they called "BB" holes - I'm sure it's obvious, but can't work it out. (it took me many years to find out what c/w and b/w actually stood for, probably as late as 1980 before it finally dawned on me, so I was simply years behind on that.

A small digression, but I still haven't got a clue what "sic" means. Seen it a lot in listings etc. is it something to do with a sticker mark ?

Cheers

Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Although I know what the hole is for, why are they called "BB" holes - I'm sure it's obvious, but can't work it out. (it took me many years to find out what c/w and b/w actually stood for, probably as late as 1980 before it finally dawned on me, so I was simply years behind on that.

Cheers

Mick

Always thought BB was for ball bearing where the records were holed with

one fired through them.

Kegsy

Social source share

I can't recall any boots that have been holed, but as Pete says he's seen some, they must out there.

A small digression, but I still haven't got a clue what "sic" means. Seen it a lot in listings etc. is it something to do with a sticker mark ?

Cheers

Mick

Think the hole resembles the hole created by a BB gun - I guess the US name for an air gun.  BB does not stand for ball bearing but 'BB' is the size of shotgun shot used in the original guns - think it is coincidental that some guns are able to fire the 'correct' size ball bearings!

re 'SIC' - not seen it myself to indicate condition - are you sure the sellers are not just using it in its true sense i.e. to indicate it is written as is? 

Mike

Social source share

Cheers

Mick

Sic in brackets after something generally denotes a grammatical error/spelling mistake.

Social source share

I recall reading in the Manship bootleg guide of a particular bootleg which had a bb hole. It was doubly unusual because it was a demo, which would not normally have these holes.

Have just checked and it's a bootleg of Darrell Banks - Angel Baby on Atco. Apparently this bootleg came with a bb hole and Atco company sleeve.

Anyone post a scan please?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Sic in brackets after something generally denotes a grammatical error/spelling mistake.

That's right Barry, it's not a record dealer thing it's an English thing which means the writer has copied the original word even though it's misspelt.

Social source share

Cheers

Mick

thats the one i was thinking of muddled brain

kev

Social source share

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick ,always thought the reference was DH as in drill hole ?
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Those bb holes? I'm guessing they were named after BB guns? I'm just guessing like... :g:

I can't be arsed to read the rest of the thread but has anyone worked out what sic means yet? :wink:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Simple really, it's like balancing the wheels on yer motor. A select group of 45s were factory aligned and therefore drilled to create the correct balance to spin at exactly 45rpm with the least amount of wind drag. The sound from these individually and highly prized hand calibrated recordings is far superior to standard pressings

:D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!