dthedrug's profile photo

Soulsource Record Club 2014 "revival Time Again"

Audio Lists dthedrug

Posted (edited)

Can't find this one on U - Tube, so I hope that my Divi-Share account is suitable for posting.

Actually I but it some years ago for t'other side, which is "Is That Right" by Billy Frazier on Music World out of New York

however it's backed with a reyt funky number "Oh Baby (Look at Me)" which strikes me as being right for the more

progressive DJ's even though it's a dance craze number.

here you go mick just in case  

kev

Edited by kevinsoulman

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Hi Dave

I bought the Sho Me label release as it's a little more interesting than the Juana one - I think the Sho Me was the first local label release before Juana. Of course Take Another Look is also a fantastic record.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Great taste Peter,

The Sho Me 45 was actually issued after the Juana single, odd as it may seem, nice mixes but I love all versions of both sides.

Paul

soul source url
Posted

CURRENTLY WINGING ITS WAY OVER THE POND ON AMHERST RECORDS  SANTIAGO MISTER LOVE

KEV

soul source url
Posted

KEV

soul source url
Posted

Maybe too disco for many on here but this did get MS plays around 30 years back .............

........... Instant Funk with "Crying"  ....... the lead vocals are just great .........

Great track, John.

I bought it as a new release on LP and 12" single, the album has a great ballad called 'Never Let It Fade Away' - very soulful.

Paul

soul source url
Posted

Great taste Peter,

The Sho Me 45 was actually issued after the Juana single, odd as it may seem, nice mixes but I love all versions of both sides.

Paul

That's interesting Paul

I'm still trying to pick my way through whats what. :huh: I bought the Sho Me release as I thought it was a little more interesting - to me! :)

As you say it's quality all the way - music of the soul.

Peter

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Spinners-Split Decision Love Trippin' LP

Hello Martyn,

Another LP I reviewed as a new release and I found some of the tracks were a bit too poppy, I wasn't exaclty a big fan of Michael Zager but I was completely knocked out by the ballad 'Now That You're Mine Again' which is pure deep soul, it has a southern feel and even has an organ on it - very unexpected for a song that was written and produced by Zager.

I always think of it as a John Edwards track with The Spinners on backing vocals.

Any John Edwards fan who hasn't heard it should check it out right away.  It was also issued as a 45 in the US (long and short versions) and in the UK it was on the B side of 'Split Decision'.

An amazing track by one of my favourite singers.

Very excellent.

Ten out of ten.

Etc.

Edited by Paul Mooney

soul source url
Posted

KEV

Hello Kev,

Sorry but that sounds so bland and mediocre to me, I can't imagine any DJ would ever play it ...although on second thoughts...  :g:  :ohmy: 

Not just because it's pop and white, it's not even good disco.

Each to his own Kev but I'm sure you've got far better records than that.

Paul

P.S.  Has it ever been played on the scene ?

soul source url
Posted

here you go mick just in case  

Billy Frazier Oh Baby.

kev

Sorry Kev, I put it on the U tube and again on the source, meself this afternoon.

Though judging on the response, I shouldn't have bothered.

Thanks anyway.

Mick

soul source url
Posted

:hatsoff2: HI ALL....MY CHOICE TONIGHT is from m youth, in 1969 the soul scene was in it's infancy, debates raged about white artists could not be classed as soul TAMLA MOTOWN was for kids, the DRIFTERS had sold out when they put strings on their songs,and the scene was being hijacked by pilled up skinheads listening to "afetasoul", maybe? but them days have stayed with me, on the few times I went to the TWISTED WHEEL CLUB, I come away confused about the music policy, similar to the LONDON CLUBS, however people talking about Chubby Checker, the DRIFTERS were the most sort after group & Sam Cooks "another Saturday night" & "chain gang" were top sounds, Ben E King was the boss, the DRIFTERS & KING had not played in the UK since they did the NIGHT OWL, Always the top group in the UK, in the 7ts they become a house hold name,,

however my record is by Ben E King - "Spanish Harlem" - LONDON HLK9259. IMAGINE 1969 in the WHEEL, 100% flash, the in crowd, maybe it is BRIAN RAYS Spinning this all-time classic, these are our roots they are as deep as you like and then some :thumbsup: NORTHERN SOUL? or just up north?? :wicked: DAVE K

post-13241-0-79383800-1389050353_thumb.jMYCOPY

http://youtu.be/6u6Y1Q3kIyc

soul source url
Posted (edited)

My choice pick today is

Ronny Shannon - Determination - "Ston Roc" Records

I've got plenty of this, i'll be missing of forum for wk or 2 more chemo in hospital for my 2nd & final hit  :yes:

So i'll looking forward to my Back Tracking session to all your posts  :)

Usual ask can u post 4 me ta  :thumbsup:

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John

soul source url
Posted

My choice pick today is

I've got plenty of this, i'll be missing of forum for wk or 2 more chemo in hospital for my 2nd & final hit  :yes:

Here ya go Kev.

Hope your treatment goes ok mate, I finished my last lot of 'light Chemo' a few months ago now, was only a day in hospital every 5 weeks though for that. All the best, and keep those nurses busy!

Paul

soul source url
Posted

More 70s from me, 1975 to be precise (seems to be getting VERY 70s based this thread, have to get back to the '60s box' I think, now, where''s Martyn with his Rock 'n' Roll music....)

Anyhoooooo...... a true king among vocalists, a proper legend, and an all time great for todays track, it's the velvet voiced..

Al Green - Full of Fire - Hi 

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Here ya go Kev.

Hope your treatment goes ok mate, I finished my last lot of 'light Chemo' a few months ago now, was only a day in hospital every 5 weeks though for that. All the best, and keep those nurses busy!

Paul

Hi Paul

Mine full on a drip for 6 days stay in hospital,then 6 weeks of Rad starting on the 28th all this for a Cure outcome  :thumbsup: m8

Nurses i've got them Multi skilling bringing Tea by the Mug load  :lol:

BTW cheers 4 the post  :yes:

Edited by Kev John

soul source url
Posted

Sticking with the 70's theme of today - thought I'd posted this but can't see it upon checking. The Jackson Sisters - Shake Her Loose.

Has a nice mid tempo groove with some nice sax.

Peter

Top tune, have played it out a few times.

They usually hit the floor and then realise its not Ordinary Joe (because of the intro), but then

get into it anyway.

Kegsy

soul source url
Posted

My choice pick today is

Kev

Good luck with the treatment matey :thumbsup:

Great tune,sounds very much like the early Impressions stuff to my ears.

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted

My choice pick today is

Good luck Kev with treatment, look forward to your posts in a couple of weeks :hatsoff2:

Best

Kev

soul source url
Posted

where''s Martyn with his Rock 'n' Roll music

Did someone call :lol:

Following on with the earlier sounding tunes,here one that fits the bill perfectly.

Anyone know if this was played back in the day please?

ROY C-High School Dropout Black Hawk

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

This track is off Impressions Check Out your mind LP but also hard to find 7" b side of inner city blues .5 Stairsteps also did a version

We must be in love 

soul source url
Posted

Did someone call :lol:

Following on with the earlier sounding tunes,here one that fits the bill perfectly.

Anyone know if this was played back in the day please?

I don't remember hearing this out back then, I've always thought of it as a 'newer' play, and certainly never actually heard it myself until late 80s/early 90s I think.

soul source url
Posted

Now I know ( I Really Love You) The Mandells

Golden world is today's choice

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

A recent  addition Valerie Simpson and Nick Ashford "Lonely Town", may have featured here before.

A bit battered but plays OK.

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Edited by Mick Sway

soul source url
Posted

A recent  addition Valerie Simpson and Nick Ashford "Lonely Town", may have featured here before.

A bit battered but plays OK.

Mick

Bought it for the other side.........."I'll Find Love" which is brilliant.I was well chuffed to find this on the B side :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted

Mick

Bought it for the other side.........."I'll Find Love" which is brilliant.I was well chuffed to find this on the B side :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Was it you who posted "I'll Find" Martyn? Someone did before Christmas , which is the reason I looked out for it.

I was gambling that someone hadn't flipped it.

Great stuff anyway,

soul source url
Posted

I take it that this b/w shotgun wedding?

funnily enough I recently bought a copy for a couple of quid to fill a collection gap.

Never bothered to play the flip though,great stuff!

soul source url
Posted

Was it you who posted "I'll Find" Martyn? Someone did before Christmas , which is the reason I looked out for it.

I was gambling that someone hadn't flipped it.

Great stuff anyway,

Mick

Probably,a tune I've had years & still love as much today as the day I bought it :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted

funnily enough I recently bought a copy for a couple of quid to fill a collection gap.

especially as there's loads available to buy for about a quid!

soul source url
Posted

Mick

Probably,a tune I've had years & still love as much today as the day I bought it :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Same here.

soul source url
Posted

Shotgun Wedding came out in the UK on Island with two different B sides, weird that

soul source url
Posted

Mick

Came out on a red UK label........think they called it UK?That had "Shotgun Wedding" on the other side.I've got the US release on Black Hawk that has a different B side.

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted

Mick

Came out on a red UK label........think they called it UK?That had "Shotgun Wedding" on the other side.I've got the US release on Black Hawk that has a different B side.

Cheers

Martyn

Wasn't it blue, not red? was the 1973/4 re release. Came out on UK island - red and white, as Pete sayys, with 2 different flip sides, 1966?

soul source url
Posted

Found a suitcase full of old records last year that had been dumped , the only thing of any interest was the Roy C on Island, the rest was Ken Dodd and the like.

soul source url
Posted (edited)

pushover / etta james

argo label promo , one for martyn maybe , love etta james

Edited by gogger

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

Wasn't it blue, not red? was the 1973/4 re release. Came out on UK island - red and white, as Pete sayys, with 2 different flip sides, 1966?

Sky blue with silver type as I remember. Think Jonathon King had something to do with the U.K. label.

soul source url
Posted

Paul

That's it Blue,I struggle with colours........bit of a problem as I'm a printer :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted

Just bought this from a fellow soul sourcer - just how good is this.

Jackie Ross Take The Weight Off Me.

Simply stunning.

Peter

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

Hello Kev,

Sorry but that sounds so bland and mediocre to me, I can't imagine any DJ would ever play it ...although on second thoughts...  :g:  :ohmy: 

Not just because it's pop and white, it's not even good disco.

Each to his own Kev but I'm sure you've got far better records than that.

Paul

P.S.  Has it ever been played on the scene ?

WHENEVER JOHN MANSHIP WROTE HIS PIECE ON HIS SITE IT WAS HUGELY IN DEMAND AND HIS NAME IS SHAWN ELLIOT, SANTIAGO THAT IS

KEV

soul source url
Posted

Spinners-Split Decision Love Trippin' LP

ONE OF MY FEW 12 INCHERS

KEV

soul source url
Posted

Carol Anderson "It Shouldn't Happen To a Dog"  Mid-Town 270 Detroit

Thought I'd post this as Anglo have booked it at £150 though Popsike shows the highest price paid as forty five quid in 2013.

Carol Anderson's excellent oldie "Holding On" had two issues on Mid-Town, on 271 with "You boy" (also issued on another label

I think,the name of which escapes me) and  the first issue, 270  with "it shouldn't happen to a dog" on the flip.

The latter Mid-Town 270 is said to be the scarcest of these issues and is the one booked the highest in Tim Brown's new Price "Guide"

and on John Manship's.

I know dealers have to mark records up for overheads,vat etc, however I really think that ought to take a more pragmatic

view of what records are actually going for on E-bay.

Popsike Values

soul source url
Posted

Carol Anderson "It Shouldn't Happen To a Dog"  Mid-Town 270

Nice mid paced,semi funky cross over tune.

soul source url
Posted

Carol Anderson "It Shouldn't Happen To a Dog" Mid-Town 270 Detroit

Thought I'd post this as Anglo have booked it at £150 though Popsike shows the highest price paid as forty five quid in 2013.

Carol Anderson's excellent oldie "Holding On" had two issues on Mid-Town, on 271 with "You boy" (also issued on another label

I think,the name of which escapes me) and the first issue, 270 with "it shouldn't happen to a dog" on the flip.

The latter Mid-Town 270 is said to be the scarcest of these issues and is the one booked the highest in Tim Brown's new Price "Guide"

and on John Manship's.

I know dealers have to mark records up for overheads,vat etc, however I really think that ought to take a more pragmatic

view of what records are actually going for on E-bay.

Popsike Values

The one I have is the 271 it cost £25 3 year ago probably

A more realistic price but dosent detract from the fact she has a quality in her voice on all 3 of the sides mentioned Top post Mick.

soul source url
Posted

Alternative version time again....

Mary Ford - One in a Million - Tower 

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Now I know ( I Really Love You) The Mandells

Golden world is today's choice

Hi great record but do you mean Trans World  Sound or have i missed one also came out on Hourglass subsidiary of Trans in 1969 just called now i know

Edited by smudger

soul source url
Guest\