dthedrug

Soulsource Record Club 2014 "revival Time Again"

Guest Paul

The Ambers "Don't Go" got two releases with different flips ... Jean 727 & 729

This the flip to 729

Never Could You Be (My Girl)

Nice & easy listening

Amazing group, Dave, even though they only issued a handful of records in ten years.  Always great songs and brilliant harmonies.

My favourite is the ballad 'Now I'm In Trouble', the official A side of 'I Love You Baby' on Verve.  I stumbled on it when a girl at school sold me a copy of 'I Love You Baby' which was big on the northern scene at the time.

I bought 'Don't Go' on my first or second visit to Blackpool Mecca in late 1974 and I was knocked out when I got home and played it I but didn't get to hear the ballad flip 'Never Could You Be (My Girl)' on the other issue for a few years.  Musically, it's a similar song and arrangement to 'Baby (I Need You)' which was their second 45.

Paul

P.S.  I still have a couple of copies of 'Don't Go' so I'll check them but I'm almost certain that I don't have a copy with 'Never Could You Be (My Girl)' on the flip any more.  

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Dave Turner

Eddy Giles "Losin' Boy" on Murco ... an all round classic

He recut it about 5 years later which got released on Stax 0103 as Eddie Giles "Losing Boy"

The Murco is by far my fave but still quite like the Stax release. The flip "It Takes Me All Night" is a great southern chugger

"Now it takes us all night, to do what we used to do all night"   :wicked:

Edited by Dave Turner

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

the Newcomers has been a groovesville gardens record room spin for a couple of years now, great little record

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Another Mod type inst from me today,B side of a great uptempo dancer "Gotcha Where I Wancha" that Dave Rimmer used to play at one time.

Bobby Baskerville-Soul Talk Dot

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I guess that this must have been posted at some time , but not for a while maybe.

Another Rod Shard buy from his time at the Aflex.

Pauline Shivers Won't you please come back home Opex

For a tenner, it doesn't get much better than this.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Edited by Mick Sway

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Another Mod type inst from me today,B side of a great uptempo dancer "Gotcha Where I Wancha" that Dave Rimmer used to play at one time.

Shagtastic!!!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

I guess that this must have been posted at some time , but not for a while maybe.

Another Rod Shard buy from his time at the Aflex.

For a tenner, it doesn't get much better than this.

Mick

Absolutely love this & as good tenner as you can spend...........so how can this be so different from the same singer on the same label?

Pauline Shivers-You Better Tell Him No O-Pex............And I love this just as much.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Pauline Shivers-You Better Tell Him No O-Pex

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Shagtastic!!!

Is that a real word.....if so I'm gonna us it tonight while I'm out :lol:

Empty Bottles for me first venture out since before Christmas.......Whhoooooooo!!!!!!!

Cheers

Martyn

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

A different version of this was posted up on a different thread recently - I have this one (nice white demo Swifty)

Al Perkins Yes My Goodness Yes

Peter

:thumbsup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

A different version of this was posted up on a different thread recently - I have this one (nice white demo Swifty)

Al Perkins Yes My Goodness Yes

Peter

Lovely mid-tempo Peter

Kev

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Sorry I'm a little pissed and missing my old man  :(  first time he was ill and on his way out I played this, and still makes me cry , bur hey ho what a tune

AL GREEN - HOW DO YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART 

Swifty :(

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Sorry I'm a little pissed and missing my old man  :(  first time he was ill and on his way out I played this, and still makes me cry , bur hey ho what a tune

AL GREEN - HOW DO YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART 

Swifty :(

Ah, bless you Swifty.

I'm with you bro.

Peter

:wink:

Great record by the way.

Edited by Peter99

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Ah, bless you Swifty.

I'm with you bro.

Peter

:wink:

ord by the way.

Cheers Peter  :)

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Anyway let's cheer up !

HAROLD MELVIN - THE LOVE I LOST

Marmite record but I love Marmite  :thumbsup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.. IMPORTANT NEWS FROM ME TO YOU? WE ALL LOVE THE SOUND OF PHILADELPHIA? YES WE DO!...CAN I RECOMEND THE FOLLOWING DOUBLE LP, AS A MUST FOR YOUR COLLECTION, A 5 STAR MUST FOR ALL SOUL DJs:-

.PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL has some fantastic tunes, HOWEVER  if you have not got this Double LP you have missed out for years, (this may of been released on a CD?). The Double LP called PHILADELPHIA CLASSICS S PIR 823232 #1-4, has the complete  full versions of the hits from the 3 degrees MFSB, Harold Melvin, O'JAYS and more.

if you need the detail let me know, but if you see the LP buy it, it will be with you for ever,  :thumbsup: DAVE K

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.. IMPORTANT NEWS FROM ME TO YOU? WE ALL LOVE THE SOUND OF PHILADELPHIA? YES WE DO!...CAN I RECOMEND THE FOLLOWING DOUBLE LP, AS A MUST FOR YOUR COLLECTION, A 5 STAR MUST FOR ALL SOUL DJs:-

.PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL has some fantastic tunes, HOWEVER  if you have not got this Double LP you have missed out for years, (this may of been released on a CD?). The Double LP called PHILADELPHIA CLASSICS S PIR 823232 #1-4, has the complete  full versions of the hits from the 3 degrees MFSB, Harold Melvin, O'JAYS and more.

if you need the detail let me know, but if you see the LP buy it, it will be with you for ever,  :thumbsup: DAVE K

think i have this on cassette dave something else i'll get round to transferring to computer  ONE DAY :yes:

KEV

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

A bit more southern 70's soul from me today - I hope that's ok. From one of the greats Mr Phillip Mitchell - a cool double sider, I'll post em both. From one of my favourite labels too -  Hi.

First side The Same Folks

Peter

Edited by Peter99

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

And tuther side Phillip Mitchell Oh, How I Love You

Peter

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Question..........my mate did me CD awhile back of stuff that is very different from the stuff I'm used to,he did it as a bit of a piss take as he thought I'd hate it but I love it :lol: It's the most I've ever played a CD & I love all the track,I play it in the car,it's always on my i-pod,brilliant for sunny day with a cold one etc.My question is I don't own any of the tracks so if I posted any of the tracks up would that be against ethos/rules of the thread?

Cheers

Martyn

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Guest Dave Turner

Flip to "Jealousy" but this is most deffo the side for me 

Carlena Weaver "Heart Break"

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

New to me Dave - as is a lot of your stuff.

Nice one.

Peter

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Flip to "Jealousy" but this is most deffo the side for me 

Carlena Weaver "Heart Break"

Marvellous Dave

Kev

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

A bit more southern 70's soul from me today - I hope that's ok. From one of the greats Mr Phillip Mitchell - a cool double sider, I'll post em both. From one of my favourite labels too -  Hi.

Peter

Great double sider Peter, new to me, brilliant artist, got "Little things" on Hi, need this.

Kev

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Great double sider Peter, new to me, brilliant artist, got "Little things" on Hi, need this.

Kev

Nice record mate.

Peter

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Question..........my mate did me CD awhile back of stuff that is very different from the stuff I'm used to,he did it as a bit of a piss take as he thought I'd hate it but I love it :lol: It's the most I've ever played a CD & I love all the track,I play it in the car,it's always on my i-pod,brilliant for sunny day with a cold one etc.My question is I don't own any of the tracks so if I posted any of the tracks up would that be against ethos/rules of the thread?

Cheers

Martyn

get em posted lad could be summat to chase!!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

get em posted lad could be summat to chase!!

Andy

Certainly more up your street then should be mine.

I'll do as I'm told & post something :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Cheers

Martyn

just this once  :wicked:  :thumbsup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Very much out my comfort zone with this but I love it.Always think this is the sort of stuff they would play in Ibiza?

Metropolitan Jazz Affair-Find Away

Edited by hullsoul

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Metropolitan Jazz Affair-Find Away

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

:lol: :lol:..........in the old days weren't they Beatniks.

Cheers

Martyn

:lol: :lol:..........in the old days weren't they Beatniks.

Cheers

Martyn

before my time martyn , but yes  :D

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

ANOTHER ONE I HAVE AND HAVE NEVER FLIPPED IT OVER PETER ,LOVE THE A SIDE TOO 

KEV

Edited by kevinsoulman

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

AND HERE IS ONE I HAVE FLIPPED BARBARA ACKLIN AM I THE SAME GIRL THE FLIP BEING BE BY MY SIDE

post-2477-0-44914000-1389536758_thumb.jp

KEV

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

KEV

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Peter

Peter , are you collecting the entite Hi Records catalogue at the moment matey ? , nice stuff though

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Anyways , just bought this 5 mins ago off SS and love it , new to me but that means nowt  :lol:

BOTTOM & COMPANY - YOU'RE MY LIFE - MOTOWN

hope you like it 

Swifty :thumbsup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Peter , are you collecting the entite Hi Records catalogue at the moment matey ? , nice stuff though

Hiya Swifty

That's a very good point. I was thinking about starting a thread regarding peoples collecting habits. I know some people collect whole label catalogues, other people collect the out put of certain artists etc. Me? I just buy what I think is good soul music - and I only started collecting again last year after selling up. So the answer to your question is that I do have a fair bit of stuff on the Hi label because they put out some great soul music. It might be that I do try and get a full set.

Peter

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share