Lisa Stansfield

I watched on playback,she was the only artist I didn't have to fast forward! Like the track and those horns were amazing. Was nice to really hear the band playing to their full potential.

She gets a bit shouty toward the end but I'll let her off as I like her :-)

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Guest mirja m

Oh, yes.

Just brilliant.

Cannot wait to see her perform with Archie Bell, Candi Staton and the rest.

Gonna be soooo good...

post-4407-0-44570500-1388661408_thumb.jp

Social source share

I liked most of the show but then always do. Joolz's always has a great mix and Ruby got me shaking my thing, which isn't too easy or good to see I can tell you these days! Charlie was a real surprise - great voice and Lisa always great too.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I thought and I know I will be shot down flames that Mel C wasn't bad either in a pop way she can certainly hold tune

No guns or flame-throwers from me Ted.........totally agree

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest northernsoul62

You really felt the need to fast-forward through Charlie Wilson singing "There Goes My Baby"?  What a voice and what a track!!

Sorry, can't find the live footage from Jools Holland's show.............Charlie was the standout power-house voice on the show................Lisa was and always is great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iV8Rk_ocQY

Cheers,

Mark R

Love it,love it can i get it on vinyl?

Social source share

Wait a minute...I never saw him? Virgin Iplayer is not the best at skipping...and now proven so as I never even saw him. I was just skipping past the feckin Proclaimers and a terrible male singer with a quiff.

Must be too black for some...haha...yeah alright if you say so Dave.

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Really? That's a bold statement. She's a quite a good pop singer.

IMHO yes she is ,still putting great tunes out , 8-3-1 from a few years back is a killer tune , some people say she is a pop singer but thats probably because a lot of her early stuff was pop orientated ,she has a soulful voice for me not a pop one ,Mica paris & Beverly Knight are great soul singers too ,just for me LIsa with the songs she has put out for such a long tme gives her the edge for me :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm bias on the basis that I've been madly in love with this lady since the early 80's, Her first stuff were all soulful dance based, The fact that they were successful never made them "pop", just more widely appreciated. Her album stuff just oozed soul. To label her has better or worse than Beverley Knight or Mica Paris does all three a disservice. I like all three, but my missus is under no illusion to who her main threat has always been. Ooooooh Lisa   :wicked: 

:yes:  :thumbsup:

Social source share

LISA STANSFIELD.

Seems to have come up with something a little bit more than the average performer.

Injecting SOUL...Superb Vocal Timing and she used the fabulous backing arrangement to propel herself onto another plane.

Pretty much like the Old Style performers, when given the right production,backing vocals and instrumentation it results in 100% pleasure for the singer to get right into the performance.

I think LORRAINE CHANDLER commented on what JOY she felt singing along to amazing productions.

I've never really been a fan of LISA STANSFIELD untill now.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You really felt the need to fast-forward through Charlie Wilson singing "There Goes My Baby"?  What a voice and what a track!!

Sorry, can't find the live footage from Jools Holland's show.............Charlie was the standout power-house voice on the show................Lisa was and always is great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iV8Rk_ocQY

Cheers,

Mark R

Thanks for posting Mark - a proper soul ballad… :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Wait a minute...I never saw him? Virgin Iplayer is not the best at skipping...and now proven so as I never even saw him. I was just skipping past the feckin Proclaimers and a terrible male singer with a quiff.

John Newman, terrible male singer?

thought he was excellant, watch the video for "love me again* on you tube,

The whole show was great and a real upper into 2014

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Blimey......don't start the 8-3-1 debate!!  :shhh:

As much as I like Lisa, that cut is a real low point for the modern scene IMHO!  :(  :(  :(

Cheers,

Mark R

Gotta agree……8-3-1 singalong pop disco nonsense…..she's made better records than that, including the new one posted above.

Social source share

Am I the only Haim fan on here?

My missus got their album (sorry, CD) for Christmas off one of our daughters. I think they are a great band, the two tunes they played (performed on Jools' later show before) are great. The guitarist who's usually on the right pulls some right funny faces!

Social source share

My missus got their album (sorry, CD) for Christmas off one of our daughters. I think they are a great band, the two tunes they played (performed on Jools' later show before) are great. The guitarist who's usually on the right pulls some right funny faces!

That's Este AKA 'Bass Face'

Social source share

John Newman, terrible male singer?

thought he was excellant, watch the video for "love me again* on you tube,

The whole show was great and a real upper into 2014

I think he's overrated and a bit emperor's new clothes to be honest. He actually sounds like he is in pain....

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Gotta agree……8-3-1 singalong pop disco nonsense…..she's made better records than that, including the new one posted above.

Recently bought this, i think it.s great. But everybody to their own opinion. But like a lot of stuff that Lisa's done.

Social source share

the trouble with beverly knight and mica ...they`ve got better voices than lisa but theyve been hampered by poor material..i loved beverleys movin on up...but she murdered piece of my heart in comparison with erma

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Dave.  A lot of Beverley and Mica's songs are instantly forgettable, whereas you could release four or five tracks on each of Lisa's albums as singles.

Social source share

Guest mirja m

that's not a good flyer - doesn't say when it's on!!

It is the back side of the flyer. ;-)

doesnt say where it take place on the back side either..

23 - 25 May is when its on but it has been sold out since August...

Edited by mirja m
Social source share

Guest Invictus

I agree the male singer with the quiff is a terrible singer (at least live), but his video features a love scene at a northern night. He puts this down to his uncle and freinds being into northern.

https://youtu.be/CfihYWRWRTQ

Social source share

I agree the male singer with the quiff is a terrible singer (at least live), but his video features a love scene at a northern night. He puts this down to his uncle and freinds being into northern.

https://youtu.be/CfihYWRWRTQ

He has an irritating voice and the two with talc I think would cause a riot throwing it around like that :lol:

Lisa Stansfield, I can't see what the fuss is about, average at best IMO.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!