Top Tips For 2014

If you think I'm going to waste money on a pint to pour over my own head you got another think coming Steve, obviously forgetting I'm a Yorkshireman.

I did say in advance it was a marmite track.

I'm with you Martin, in that it's better than the original.

Cheers for spinning it at Scarborough & will you thank your Honey for letting me know what it was, as I was too busy dancing to come over & ask you myself :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest grappersoul

maybe bringing a family up

Think that's called living ? And still haven't seen a credible contribution musically from you so fill ya boots !! Don't be shy!

funny that coz you have'nt neither imo :D ok not computer savvy so like many others that youre not having a go at

Social source share

Another I picked up of Fish at the same time is The Dynamites feat Charles Walker (Little Charles).  "Still Can't Get You Out Of My Heart"  came out on the album "Love Is Only Everything.  But the flip of the 45 I didn't know as it only came out on the US take of the album or so I believe. "Get Up On Living"  is a great little number from the band.  

Have a listen at https://www.firstexperiencerecords.com/product-detail////The+Dynamites+feat.+Charles+Walker/Still+Can%27t+Get+You+Out+Of+My+Heart++Get+Up+On+Living/vinyl/3981

I doubt either of the above will go big but I'm not sure many tips will get a spin on todays scene let alone go big.

Wow - They're both great! 

Edited by autumnstoned
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest grappersoul

may be ya need sum water with it ,armchair critics are ten a penny we all know

It's better years ago, for ground breaking stuff however sum people look forward to a future no matter how long they av left and still have a full schedule all year without the need for a reminder of the past all the time &another thing "Soul Credentials) & I know more than you) has never counted on Ss record of the day

The invitation still stands Show us all where we're going wrong!!!!

Social source share

Guest grappersoul

may be ya need sum water with it ,armchair critics are ten a penny we all know

It's better years ago, for ground breaking stuff however sum people look forward to a future no matter how long they av left and still have a full schedule all year without the need for a reminder of the past all the time &another thing "Soul Credentials) & I know more than you) has never counted on Ss record of the day

The invitation still stands Show us all where we're going wrong!!!!

sorry but where did I say 'all'. :D oh i get about that's for sure but don't need a schedule,as for armchair etc that's a crap cop out comment i know many people with fantastic collections etc that go no where but still collect,and when some one posts a record up and some one points out that it was played here or there years ago why get on that persons back?the point they are making is clear IT WAS PLAYED that's all... :hatsoff2:

j

Social source share

https://youtu.be/R6Qjbxzl99Q

back in ye oldene days when I was foolishly booked to play records to an unsuspecting public, this was something I spun occasionally and people danced. I've done my research and nobody has ever mentioned it in this forum and there is no googleable content of any other claims to it being 'massive' anywhere. It's a cheap LP on Buddah, and I think it's got the longest title of any record I own... 'God has blessed our hands... A musical tribute to a people's struggle for equality'. And most bizarrely, he's got Rance Allen playing guitar and not singing on it.

so there :)

cheers Sutty

I put this on Refo Soul when I was in betwwen jobs, so that's 6 years ago. So you should just stick to jazz tips Mr S :-)))

Funny enough I got this LP out off FOPP but it seems scarce, brother of Joey Negro's producer, a big gospel collector, Howard Livingstone I think, offered lots of money for this when I found it. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Fair point Kev - although it (the vocal) has been played in funk clubs for at least 10 years. Maybe new to this scene....

Oh,it started with "Soul for sale" instru,then the funk guys flipped it for "If the shoe fits" later. :wicked:

Maybe some things do cross from the dark side.And just maybe, its not that well known on the "new" funky scene. :thumbsup:

Lets hear some stomping NS from the in depth collectors. 

Social source share

Still sounding very good to my ears, this banger has been flying out at the latter end of 2013 - surely a sound for 2014.

https://vimeo.com/81754686

I'm sold out at the moment but have some on the way - probably my last copies. For £6 you can't fall off! Could be the next Kings Go Forth.

The other side is fantastic as well...will upload that later. 

If you're after one you can pre-order one here

oh yes - both sides outstanding - has the 'wow' imho.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Still sounding very good to my ears, this banger has been flying out at the latter end of 2013 - surely a sound for 2014.

I'm sold out at the moment but have some on the way - probably my last copies. For £6 you can't fall off! Could be the next Kings Go Forth.

The other side is fantastic as well...will upload that later. 

If you're after one you can pre-order one here

At long last - a feckin good record that isn't played out much, or "known and not good enough"! And a great group that later went onto become Philadelphia Story.

There ya go Sean that's one for you to get......99 to go.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I'm trying to catch up with the more new contemporary stuff, don't know if this has received many plays but I'm spinning this Nashville tune quite a lot !

derobert and haftruths - the joy

Social source share

I'm trying to catch up with the more new contemporary stuff, don't know if this has received many plays but I'm spinning this Nashville tune quite a lot !

Good new album coming out in January too!  

GED1006CD.jpg?width=400&height=400&quali

• Helpful 1
Social source share

At long last - a feckin good record that isn't played out much, or "known and not good enough"! And a great group that later went onto become Philadelphia Story.

There ya go Sean that's one for you to get......99 to go.

Steve

I quite like the Howeefeel "People Of The World" I picked up from Jason at the same time as the Valdons.  The Valdons is great, That funky kid Andy Whitmore put me onto that one, deffo worth some exposure at soul venues.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Paul played this at dulcimer a couple of months ago really liked it

Social source share

I quite like the Howeefeel "People Of The World" I picked up from Jason at the same time as the Valdons.  

If we're gonna recommend stuff like Howeefeel that has major input from the Davis Brothers, then I'd nominate a couple of cuts from Davis Import as well (Avi: late 70's / early 80's).

Social source share

I quite like the Howeefeel "People Of The World" I picked up from Jason at the same time as the Valdons.  The Valdons is great, That funky kid Andy Whitmore put me onto that one, deffo worth some exposure at soul venues.

Yep no so keen on Howeefeel, but it's not shabby at all so lets put it in Sean's 2014 playbox - 3 down 97 to go. 

What about the new Lisa Stansfield? :unsure: 

Social source share

Yep no so keen on Howeefeel, but it's not shabby at all so lets put it in Sean's 2014 playbox - 3 down 97 to go. 

What about the new Lisa Stansfield? :unsure:

It's not as good as the three I previously posted and not good enough IMO to make it to the dance floors.

Lisa Stansfield......I thought it was an average pop song, nothing more, certainly can't see what the fuss is about.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Kev

Sure, records could have been played 10 years ago to a limited audience to minimal success, but a tip now might be a better time for that particular record to prosper, great thread IMHO, a great way to share records which is why I reckon Sean set the thread away in the first place

Nail on the head, Kev. 

Cheers,

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

One I don't think has had much exposure yet and has been out for a good six months .

NOTATIONS - THAT GIRL (CASH )

A previously unreleased cut that was pressed up by those great guys at Numero .

A great 45 for peanuts :)

Surprisingly no YouTube clip ,so apologies if this contravenes any rules ?

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/that-girl/488061-01/

Agreed Nev…..another nice cheapie.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One I don't think has had much exposure yet and has been out for a good six months .

NOTATIONS - THAT GIRL (CASH )

A previously unreleased cut that was pressed up by those great guys at Numero .

A great 45 for peanuts :)

Surprisingly no YouTube clip ,so apologies if this contravenes any rules ?

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/that-girl/488061-01/

Played this out a few times the last few months. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share