Jay Traynor And Rex Garvin

Chalky

From the Classic Urban Harmony Newsletter......

Jay Traynor Dies.  Original lead of Jay & Americans; sang with the Mystics and Jay Siegel's Tokens.
As we prepared to send out this newsletter, we just heard of the passing of Jay Traynor, original lead of Jay & the Americans.  Jay also sang with the Mystics and more recently with Jay Siegel's Tokens. John "Jay" Traynor was born on March 30, 1943 in Brooklyn, NY.  As a vocalist, he joined the Mystics as lead (after "Hushabye") and sang on their recording of "White Cliffs Of Dover".  Traynor was the first "Jay" in Jay & the Americans, leading on their recording of "She Cried".  Shortly after that he went solo.  More recently, Jay Traynor had been singing with Jay Siegel's Tokens.  We last saw Jay Traynor at the Richard Nader IZOD Center concert in May 2013, where we had a chance to talk with him briefly.  Jay died on January 2, 2014 at the age of 70.  We was a nice guy and we are deeply saddened by his passing. - Charlie & Pam
To watch a YouTube of Jay Traynor singing "She Cried" with Jay Siegel's Tokens in 2011, click "She Cried".

Rex Garvin of the Hearts dies.  Wrote "Over The Mountain".

Rex A. Garvin, member of the Hearts ("Lonely Nights") and writer of Johnnie & Joe's "Over The Mountain, Across The Sea," died on December 2, 2013 at the age of 72.  Garvin was born in NYC and raised in the Bronx.  In 1954, he helped form the Hearts, a female R&B vocal group with whom he also sang bass.  The Hearts first record, "Lonely Nights" (Baton label) became a Top 10 R&B record in 1955.  Garvin continued with the Hearts as their pianist, arranger and musical director.  Garvin also worked with J&S Records, writing the hit song "Over The Mountain, Across The Sea" for Johnnie & Joe.  In later years, Rex Garvin recorded with his band, the Mighty Cravers, scoring with the soul hit "Sock It To 'Em J.B." (Like label).  Garvin is seen at the far right in the Hearts photo above.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

mike raven used the play and plug 'socket to em JB ' on his prog

I used to go to Bluesville at Manor House where he DJ'd on a Wednesday (if my memory is correct). He used to play Sock It To 'Em JB and my girlfriend (later wife) and I loved dancing to it, loved the bit in the middle where they shouted the names of the Bond movies. Oh happy days.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!