Gloria Shannon - Tears - Realside

78049H1/A            WHO'S THAT GIRL? REALSIDE RECORDS           "Tears"

78049H2/A            REALSIDE RECORDS                                              "Shining My Lovelight"

Edited by ajb
Social source share

Interesting thread. The first thing the person who won this off ebay need to do is to compare it to the Realside release. It should be obvious if its different and an original release. Perhaps even get another opinion from a respected person like Manship. IMHO they have taken a gamble but it could be a winner for them or not.

Social source share

Sorry, I"m trying to follow this thread but don't understand what it's about.  Could someone explain?  I think I sold one of these a couple of months ago.  

Here ya go Pete. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORTHERN-SOUL-45-Unknown-Artist-tears-are-gifts-TEST-PRESS-ONLY-RARE-HEAR-/370976740058?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=twYW%252BlVPuosSh2mhE%252FJZ%252B3W18%252BM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Social source share

What a scam.

I saw it on ebay last week and it's obviously a UK pressing with the label surface removed - probably lifted using sellotape.

The label size is the most obvious way to check and that's DEFINITELY a UK / EU size label, cut to 85 mm diameter rather than 92 or 90 which is the US s
ize.

Most likely it was pressed at GZ Media in the Czech Republic which is where a lot of UK singles have been manufactured in recent years.  Their labels tend to be trimmed even smaller, to 84 mm, and that's what it looks like to me.

The listing was fraudulent so someone needs to get a refund.

Paul

Edited by Paul
Social source share

When I saw this Ebay listing, I sent the seller a link to the Gloria Shannon You-Tube video to give him the info on who it was and when the British release came out (2008 or thereabouts). In other words, this is either a genuine early test press (as claimed), or this bloke needs taking to court. 

Social source share

The vinyl looks too clean and shiny for it to be authentic and the label has definitely been peeled off.

The only genuine explanation in his defence is that he received it like that and didn't have a clue who it was or that a quick Google search of the title would have thrown up a YouTube of the Gloria Shannon!

Social source share

Guest freestyle maniac

Hi there,

finally read this thread.

As mentioned in my listing,i got this from El Paso/Texas from a radio station.I got several 45s from there,they had many juke box garbage as well,as some interesting stuff,which i picked up.

I have no reason to make up a story,as in case i wanted to pass this over as the Gloria Shannon (which i didnt know about until recently),i would have mentioned that this is the Gloria Shannon original test pressing or something like that.The title on A-side i made it kinda up,artist was unknown to know as there is nothing written on mentioned on the label.

Who knows,maybe it is the Realside release and the labels are kinda peeled off,but what confuses me here is the matrix and the numbers etched in there.And most important,what is this one doing down in El Paso.??

I didnt have a Gloria Shannon Realside to compare anything,cause i didnt know what it was.If i knew i would have done it before i post it for sale.

I am not really a northern soul guy,i specialize more in modern soul,hip hop and other genres,so i am always open to learn for the future in case its not a genuine thing.

I am a professional seller for over 15 years,and have no reason to ruin my reputation for a few hundred bucks.

I will contact the seller and ask him if he still wants it.If he isnt sure now,i am glad to refund him and will keep it and do some more research now by myself.

Or if he prefers,i am happy to send him the record,and if he feels its not genuine,he can send it back for a full refund.Whatever the winning bidder decides to do.Its up to him.

Dont think its much more to tell or discuss about this though...

Social source share

re: "gloria shannon", this track is in BMI along with the flip, don't know if realside knew that or not. Both songs were written by randy diamond and edwenna edwards:

https://repertoire.bmi.com/writer.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&page=1&fromrow=1&torow=25&querytype=WriterID&cae=64030807&affiliation=NA&keyid=101395&keyname=EDWARDS+EDWENNA

Social source share

The writers were pointed out many years ago but I got the impression at the time that some people preferred the mystery of an unidentified song and the strange notion / hint / suggestion that the artist was Gladys Knight.

That kind of nonsense just made me suspicious and, ironically, the hype wasn't really necessary because the tracks were pretty good anyway.

As for the "test pressing" sold on ebay the label is definitely UK / EU size (85 mm) [see post #21] and it's hard to believe that a recent UK / EU pressing would turn up at a radio station in Texas ...any why was the label pulled off like that ?

It would be interesting to know if there are any other numbers inscribed (and maybe obliterated) in the deadwax area.

Social source share

Hi there,

finally read this thread.

As mentioned in my listing,i got this from El Paso/Texas from a radio station.I got several 45s from there,they had many juke box garbage as well,as some interesting stuff,which i picked up.

I have no reason to make up a story,as in case i wanted to pass this over as the Gloria Shannon (which i didnt know about until recently),i would have mentioned that this is the Gloria Shannon original test pressing or something like that.The title on A-side i made it kinda up,artist was unknown to know as there is nothing written on mentioned on the label.

Who knows,maybe it is the Realside release and the labels are kinda peeled off,but what confuses me here is the matrix and the numbers etched in there.And most important,what is this one doing down in El Paso.??

I didnt have a Gloria Shannon Realside to compare anything,cause i didnt know what it was.If i knew i would have done it before i post it for sale.

I am not really a northern soul guy,i specialize more in modern soul,hip hop and other genres,so i am always open to learn for the future in case its not a genuine thing.

I am a professional seller for over 15 years,and have no reason to ruin my reputation for a few hundred bucks.

I will contact the seller and ask him if he still wants it.If he isnt sure now,i am glad to refund him and will keep it and do some more research now by myself.

Or if he prefers,i am happy to send him the record,and if he feels its not genuine,he can send it back for a full refund.Whatever the winning bidder decides to do.Its up to him.

Dont think its much more to tell or discuss about this though...

Excellent response. I think faith has been restored.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

He said last time :yes:.............

"SURELY YOU WON'T SEE THIS AGAIN ANYTIME SOON"

from his explanation in the thread above I would of thought never, but there you go....

this time he says :g:......

"WHICH I HAVE ABSOLUTELY ZERO INFORMATION ON IT"

well it was two years ago. :facepalm:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

What a superb chunk of Northern soul ,how did i miss this Realside Track,Thanks  Member boba! ihave some uk TMg test presses white labled printed test press emailed the ebay seller ,"found them in a garage sale" coarse finish Icould not figure how the lables where removed ? Now i know boba ,they where sanded off! Luckily bidding did not take off and I only paid £15 . ,the lengths People will go ! Amazing! 

Social source share

Guest matt tees

Gloria Shannon was found late 1990s/early 2000sish by Glen Gunton (who would know the precise history, as would Terry Francis aka Mr Tee) and I got a 10inch press from Glen, of which I believe there were a only 2-4 made.  This was followed by a year or so later with a Realside release but slightly speeded up.  Since then there has been a further press.  It is a stunning slice of soul I sold my copy to John Brown unfortuantely!! Do you want to sell it back Mr Brown.

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

A few more Facts ,just in the spirit of Fair play to All! 1. 19th Nov 2013 Realside Records autioned off the last one of their official white label test presse s for £ 19 .99,Francis Mr Tee verified its authenticity ,but again was unsure of real artist and origon [google it ,the ifo is still on ebay claiming 4,000 views. Number 2 having looked closely at the recent 2 "presses" which have made much money ,and copare its appearance with the alleged tet presses i bought the labels have definately been illegally removed by somebody .irest my case M, lady ! All that matters is that the customer has a satisfactory solution,Lol Johnny,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!