Record Shops In The Caribbean

• Replies 18
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

BARBADOS: In the centre of Bridgetown there's a big department store; Cave Shepherd.

That USED to have a great record department (as the owners of the store, a local conglomerate had bought up the local assets of W.I.R.L. -- studio, warehouse, stock).

I used to go there every visit to the island and buy cheap old 45's & LP's. Unfortunately they closed the record department down some years back.

Just across the river bridge (south side) there was a shop that sold import (Jamaican) reissue LP's (old 60's Wand stuff & the like) but again I doubt that it's still there.

Social source share

thanks for the info, looks like we'll only have a few hours in Barbados, but will try to get to Bridgetown if only for a few drinks,

cheers,

M.

BARBADOS: In the centre of Bridgetown there's a big department store; Cave Shepherd.

That USED to have a great record department (as the owners of the store, a local conglomerate had bought up the local assets of W.I.R.L. -- studio, warehouse, stock).

I used to go there every visit to the island and buy cheap old 45's & LP's. Unfortunately they closed the record department down some years back.

Just across the river bridge (south side) there was a shop that sold import (Jamaican) reissue LP's (old 60's Wand stuff & the like) but again I doubt that it's still there.

Social source share

Hi Michael, if you're in Tobago on a Sunday make sure you go to Sunday School at Bucco Reef. It's an all night reggae party & is fantastic. The locals are very approachable & you may get some tips there.

best

Mark.

Ah feck, would've loved to go, unfortunately we won't be there on a sunday :( , thanks for the info anyway !

Social source share

If your in trinidad in port of spain theres a record shop called rymers or rhymers , cant remember but when i went there in 2002 there was loads of soul in the back of the hot dark stifling warehouse . i was llucky as my uncle was a radio dj and got me access iwent through it over 2 days and cleared all the reggae studio 1 , coxsone , upsetter , black art , treasure isle , loads of ska , rock steady , roots etc it was amazing my uncle had it boxed and shipped back for me , i wasnt interested in the soul as there is so much of it , motown ja etc funk as well , only drawback was mr rhymer insisted on helping me all good except he kept farting all the time , propper wet an heavy in that heat and humidity no windows and massive mozzys every where felt quite sick but where theres tunes i am there , farts or not

Seriously though there is a warehouse full of 60s 70s soul us and uk ,labels and west indian us and uk labels , they love bashment and soca so this music is nothing to them so its just piled up in his warehouse , good luck if any one goes there

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If your in trinidad in port of spain theres a record shop called rymers or rhymers , cant remember but when i went there in 2002 there was loads of soul in the back of the hot dark stifling warehouse . i was llucky as my uncle was a radio dj and got me access iwent through it over 2 days and cleared all the reggae studio 1 , coxsone , upsetter , black art , treasure isle , loads of ska , rock steady , roots etc it was amazing my uncle had it boxed and shipped back for me , i wasnt interested in the soul as there is so much of it , motown ja etc funk as well , only drawback was mr rhymer insisted on helping me all good except he kept farting all the time , propper wet an heavy in that heat and humidity no windows and massive mozzys every where felt quite sick but where theres tunes i am there , farts or not

Seriously though there is a warehouse full of 60s 70s soul us and uk ,labels and west indian us and uk labels , they love bashment and soca so this music is nothing to them so its just piled up in his warehouse , good luck if any one goes there

haha, nice story :rofl: ! I had heard of the shop, think it's called Rhyners, unfortunately we're only doing Tobago, not Trinidad, but thanks for sharing anyways !

Social source share

But dude its a 20 min flight very cheap , i stayed weekdays in tobago , and limed it in pos for weekends , worth a quick flight fof a day , maybe ring shop first to se if still got ware house be a shame not too , have a good time drink lots of carib , mind the hot sauce on the rotis its a ring wrecker good luck any way

Social source share

But dude its a 20 min flight very cheap , i stayed weekdays in tobago , and limed it in pos for weekends , worth a quick flight fof a day , maybe ring shop first to se if still got ware house be a shame not too , have a good time drink lots of carib , mind the hot sauce on the rotis its a ring wrecker good luck any way

Social source share

I'm assuming he's on a cruise around the Caribbean and will therefore only have 6/7 hours in each destination.

If I'm correct & that's what you are doing Michael....... when in Barbados .....  its only about a mile from the Cruise Terminal into the centre of Bridgetown.

Not too far to walk or lots of mini buses on local routes into town (If no buses from Cruise Terminal building, walk up towards Kensington Oval cricket ground to find main road that buses shoot up & down). Bus stn (& adjacent minibus area) just on west side of town centre itself.

MESEN, I'll be on a cruise to the Bahamas in just over a week BUT already been told not to bother looking for record shops in (funky) Nassau. There aren't any.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Ayup Mick, no nowt about record shops in the south caribbean (or north) but if you're visiting Carriacou find a rum shop and sample some Jack Iron Rum, used to work with one of the  Huddersfield Carriacou posse and he brought me some back, knocked mi sox off, runs between 80 & 90% that's volume and not proof, hope you enjoy ya jollies and manage to catch ya boat to the next island. lol. Huddersfield Caribbean carnival for excessive rum fun. ;) 

Edited by Ste S
Social source share

I'm assuming he's on a cruise around the Caribbean and will therefore only have 6/7 hours in each destination.

If I'm correct & that's what you are doing Michael....... when in Barbados .....  its only about a mile from the Cruise Terminal into the centre of Bridgetown.

Not too far to walk or lots of mini buses on local routes into town (If no buses from Cruise Terminal building, walk up towards Kensington Oval cricket ground to find main road that buses shoot up & down). Bus stn (& adjacent minibus area) just on west side of town centre itself.

MESEN, I'll be on a cruise to the Bahamas in just over a week BUT already been told not to bother looking for record shops in (funky) Nassau. There aren't any.

Thing is, we're doing all of the above islands and getting around in between them by means of plane, ferry and sailing boat, got approx. 3 nights on every island. Barbados will be our last stopover before the flight back, that's why we only got some 7 hrs. there, just trying to arrange some luggage storage while we're heading before Bridgetown for the afto. Thx for the info and enjoy your trip !

Social source share

Ayup Mick, no nowt about record shops in the south caribbean (or north) but if you're visiting Carriacou find a rum shop and sample some Jack Iron Rum, used to work with one of the  Huddersfield Carriacou posse and he brought me some back, knocked mi sox off, runs between 80 & 90% that's volume and not proof, hope you enjoy ya jollies and manage to catch ya boat to the next island. lol. Huddersfield Caribbean carnival for excessive rum fun. ;) 

thanks for the info & advice :-)

Huddersfield Carriacou posse ?

I know Robin from Hull is from Grenada, that him ?

Gotta get  me snorkel gear together now...

cheers,

M.

Social source share

• 1 year later...
On 9 January 2014 at 08:18, Michael Fuchs said:

anybody know of any decent record shops on the following islands:

- Tobago

- Grenada

- Carriacou

- Bequia

- St. Vincent

- Barbados

cheers,

M.

:pirate:

How did you get on with this Michael? Did you find any record shops? Off there myself in a few weeks. 

Social source share

Have to say I found nowth.

There was supposed to be a shop on Tobago, but as I didn't manage to find it I wouldn't know if it stocked only CDs or vinyl too.

On Barbados we didn't have enough time to wander around.

The closest thing to a record shop I came across was this, on bequia, of course it was closed !

SDC11550.JPG

Bequia music fest should be on again, at Bequia beach hotel on sat. afto some bands should play traditional reggae - at least they did 2 years ago. Quite a good vibe in town that weekend

https://bequiatourism.com/bequiamusicfest/

where exactly you headin' ian ?

Edited by Michael Fuchs
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert