Just Like The Weather - Info Please

AlanB

I've seen Constellation copies with different label designs. One with "Constellation" in a semi-circle and with stars across the label; the other with "Constellation" in a straight line on a plain label, no stars.

Can anyone tell me if these are these both originals from different plants, or is one a boot/reissue? If both originals, is one preferable (eg vinyl rather than styrene)?

thanks

Alan

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

My original copy dark blue moulded label with straightCONSTELLATION with no stars,vinyl.with URJ stamped in run out.matrix C65-279

Bootleg is styrene with light blue stick on label,delta 103545 wink.gif

Hi Alan, Hi Nick

CONSTELLATION C-161 - JUST LIKE THE WEATHER / DON'T USE ME - NOLAN CHANCE

Mine are also Vinyl with C65-279 plus Matrix stamp etc

I have checked the deadwax on the two scanned copies, and the Stock Copy & DEMO have Identical marks.

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Nolan_Chanc...The_Weather.ram

ConstelationC-161a.jpgConstelationC-161b.jpg

I hope this helps.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I've seen Constellation copies with different label designs. One with "Constellation" in a semi-circle and with stars across the label; the other with "Constellation" in a straight line on a plain label, no stars.

Can anyone tell me if these are these both originals from different plants, or is one a boot/reissue? If both originals, is one preferable (eg vinyl rather than styrene)?

thanks

Alan

Hi Alan, Hi Nick

CONSTELLATION C-161 - JUST LIKE THE WEATHER / DON'T USE ME - NOLAN CHANCE

Mine are also Vinyl with C65-279 plus Matrix stamp etc

I have checked the deadwax on the two scanned copies, and the Stock Copy & DEMO have Identical marks.

ConstelationC-161a.jpg

I hope this helps.

Does this apply to Gene Chandler releases on the same label? Just that I'm looking at a couple on Ebay and one is listed as a reissue (that some sell as originals). any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Social source share

Does this apply to Gene Chandler releases on the same label? Just that I'm looking at a couple on Ebay and one is listed as a reissue (that some sell as originals). any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi Ian,

I may stand corrected, but I think there were only two Gene Chandler 45s on Constellation that were booted.

Have to admit that the copy of "I Can Take Care..." on Ebay is a new one on me. But the other boot, "Mr Big Shot", is easy to spot a mile off. It has an orange label with completely different type face.

I'd say that the best way to ensure buying an original of "I Can Take Care Of Myself" is to go for the white demo - as far as I know, this was never booted.

Hope this helps mate.

Gene

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I'd say that the best way to ensure buying an original of "I Can Take Care Of Myself" is to go for the white demo - as far as I know, this was never booted.

Hope this helps mate.

Gene

C'est incorrect matey :thumbsup: - "I can take care..." was booted on a white label "demo". Look out for obvious paper feel to the label, it also has "Best" scratched in the run-out, and the labels are reversed!

And I wouldn't be surprised if boots exist of "Nothing can stop me", possibly done around the time of US release? Mine has no pressing plant stamp, and is the "straight line" print.

Hippo.

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Have had a vinyl copy of this on the Blue label with stars for as long as I can remember - it definitely doesn't turn up in this format as often as the plain straight line version in either issue or WDJ.

Of course there's the one on the Bunky label, but that's super rare and serious money !

Take care,

John

thanks

Alan

Social source share

Have had a vinyl copy of this on the Blue label with stars for as long as I can remember - it definitely doesn't turn up in this format as often as the plain straight line version in either issue or WDJ.

Of course there's the one on the Bunky label, but that's super rare and serious money !

Take care,

John

Does the Bunky copy actually exist? I know it's a mythical holy grail inclusion from the Richard Searling sets of the mid-late 70's, but has anyone actually seen it or is it an urban myth? To be a total trainspotter about it, it has the same number as the Constellation release and is out of sync with all Bunky release numbers. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Does the Bunky copy actually exist? I know it's a mythical holy grail inclusion from the Richard Searling sets of the mid-late 70's, but has anyone actually seen it or is it an urban myth? To be a total trainspotter about it, it has the same number as the Constellation release and is out of sync with all Bunky release numbers. :thumbsup:

Same with the Rouser Frankie Beverly - that has the Fairmount cat. number. Never been able to work that out!

Hippo.

Social source share

C'est incorrect matey :yes: - "I can take care..." was booted on a white label "demo". Look out for obvious paper feel to the label, it also has "Best" scratched in the run-out, and the labels are reversed!

And I wouldn't be surprised if boots exist of "Nothing can stop me", possibly done around the time of US release? Mine has no pressing plant stamp, and is the "straight line" print.

Hippo.

Hi

CONSTELLATION C-149 - NOTHING CAN STOP ME / THE BIG LIE - GENE CHANDLER

Both of these have Matrix Stamps in the Deadwax - Both Sides - and are therefore Original

Constellation-C-149-DJ.jpgConstellation-C-149-1.jpg

At the time of purchase, I was told that the Blue & White Stock Copy was a Local issue?

The following doesn't have any Matrix Stamp in the deadwax SO I'm not 100% sure

Constellation-C-149-2.jpg

However, the "common, scratched in serial numbers" look identical?

All three records are Vinyl and have (Two Common serial numbers in the deadwax) - which are identical - by the same hand.

On each of the copies a further serial number has been added - by a different hand

I can only assume that this Title has been issued a few times in it's day.

I don't know if anyone has any information about this Label as I have seen Yellow Label stock copies for certain releases, as well as the Blue Label stock copy.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I'm pretty sure the only known copy was owned by Paul Tindale who sold it to Richard Searling for about a grand

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!