soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 7
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Steve,

If it's Kenny Gamble's version you're talkling about, then I have always believed the answer to be Yes - it is supposed to be a one-off.

I remember John Manship having this on his sales list in 1984, quoting "so very very rare, THE ONLY COPY!". He didn't actually state that it was a handwritten test pressing though, so I assumed it had properly printed labels.

Could Sam's handwritten label possibly be a second copy?

Gene

Social source share

Hi Steve,

If it's Kenny Gamble's version you're talkling about, then I have always believed the answer to be Yes - it is supposed to be a one-off.

I remember John Manship having this on his sales list in 1984, quoting "so very very rare, THE ONLY COPY!". He didn't actually state that it was a handwritten test pressing though, so I assumed it had properly printed labels.

Gene

Could well be wrong Steve, but John Vincent may have this. Or once did anyway.

Social source share

Hi Steve,

Gene

It was the one i had that John was selling and it was later than 1984 it is hand written in biro and there is no proper Artic labels(cant even remember if it was single sided) it looks a bit dodgey. Three is a Billy Floyd of the same make up when i compared my Billy Floyd with Andy Spencers hand written one the run out groove markings were the same.heres a sound file of a tape i did before i sold it. Think the Drifters did a more up tempo version which i could do with a sound file of

01_Kenny_Gamble_Chains_of_Love.mp3

Social source share

Guest SteveO

I collected Arctic from 77/78 until I sold up mid 90's. Was 5or6 short of a full collection and had all the northern biggies including Chains of Love. This was purchased from Dave Raistrick in the early 80's(Clifton Hall time) and it was on a hand written white label copy that looked more like a pressing.I'm sure that during the time I had mine, that another one turned up but for the life of me cant remember who had it.So I would doubt the "One off" theory. Funnily enough I got quite a lot from Pete Lawson...as in all the gospel stuff which again is bloody hard to pick up. Hope this snippet helps.

Social source share

I collected Arctic from 77/78 until I sold up mid 90's. Was 5or6 short of a full collection and had all the northern biggies including Chains of Love. This was purchased from Dave Raistrick in the early 80's(Clifton Hall time) and it was on a hand written white label copy that looked more like a pressing.I'm sure that during the time I had mine, that another one turned up but for the life of me cant remember who had it.So I would doubt the "One off" theory. Funnily enough I got quite a lot from Pete Lawson...as in all the gospel stuff which again is bloody hard to pick up. Hope this snippet helps.

The stuff you got off pete came from my collection when i sold it cheap to him (when i say cheap,i mean i never got all the cash !).As for chains,i knew of at least 3 copies,2 of which i've owned,one was jv's copy ,the other came from dave raistrick circa 82

Social source share

The stuff you got off pete came from my collection when i sold it cheap to him (when i say cheap,i mean i never got all the cash !).As for chains,i knew of at least 3 copies,2 of which i've owned,one was jv's copy ,the other came from dave raistrick circa 82

Thanks for the answers, at least if there are three copies I have a chance of completing my Arctic collection after all. :D

Social source share

HAD A TAPE OFF PETE around about this time loads off arctic and other bits on it , i bought around 8 arctics off him them , think there would be at leat 5 chains of love think ION may sill have 1 as well

steve T

Social source share