What Are The Top Allnighters To Buy Records At In The Uk ?

viphitman

Guest sharmo 1

It's as varied as the question really and is a question of money and availability , there's some great 45's out there for under twenty clams and loads of reissue and nu modern soul which all seem to find their place in various collections really so in a way anything goes. Regards Marge, So as all nighters have record bars and folk with a small sales box any of them take your pick really , although lifeline is probably the best for rare and obscure.

Edited by sharmo 1
Social source share

Not been out for quite a while myself, but when I did it was pretty poor. I hear stories about the 1980's when if you had the money you could go to an allnighter and buy almost anything, and I mean all the big ticket tunes.

I have never been to Stoke, but I would guess that would have the most dealers present. Butch's box is always worth a look.

Edited by Quinvy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I took a load of decent oldies to a well known 'niter in November.....about 10 people looked through......sold one record.....and then the bloke had to go and find a cash machine!

WTF???

Yep, better off buying at the end of a mouse!!!

Social source share

Not been out for quite a while myself, but when I did it was pretty poor. I hear stories about the 1980's when if you had the money you could go to an allnighter and buy almost anything, and I mean all the big ticket tunes.

I have never been to Stoke, but I would guess that would have the most dealers present. Butch's box is always worth a look.[/quote ]Excellent guess .Great sellers whenever i've been.

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Lifeline has a great record bar on the balcony. 

that wasn,t the question

deals maybe done where dealers who have the tunes are in attendance......but the money and records change hands away from any nighters

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

I'd agree with Scal and Chris as to general trend.

I did last Burnley and less than 10 [i was counting] looked. I did sell quite a few but to one guy [Phil T].

Radcliffe seems OK to me but heady days of Wigan record bar appear long gone from my recent experience.

And no, my records were not a load of overpriced poor condition junk !

ROD

• Helpful 3
Social source share

It's really hard as a buyer to choose at record bars now. I would always buy at least something in the past, as a reminder also of the night.

While trawling you are continually debating on items, you now have instant knowledge and availability, where as pre-internet.....if the record you were looking for was there, you bought it cos you aint seen or heard of another copy via mailers.

And equally as hard for the dealers with prices for lesser knowns. I bought a record with a book price of £50, for £15 and saw three copies of the record at £30 in dealers boxes at a nighter. Not easy trying to earn a crust when folks looking for a bargain.

In another time, I would have parted with £30 and had a memory in the shape of a 7".

Social source share

Most of the tables on the balcony are usually taken up, it is usually busy up there.

I don't do a stock check to see what sellers shift nor is it the venues fault that some dealers have stock buyers do not wish to buy.

i think the night Chris went, Dave Raistrick, Des Parker, Roger Banks were just three regular dealers missing that night.

Ady Pierce was at the last one and he said he did ok?  

The balcony at Lifeline is usually busy but what sales actually take place you would have to ask the dealers, we simply provide somewhere for them trade.

But it is like a lot of venues these days, buyers are doing most of their buying online.

Social source share

that wasn,t the question

deals maybe done where dealers who have the tunes are in attendance......but the money and records change hands away from any nighters

You know everything that happens up there do you?  no you don't.  John or Danny might tell you they sold this and that or bugger all but you can't speak for all the other dealers and besides you rarely venture up there.

Social source share

I would also say most wheeling and dealing is done in the first few hours and that record bars then become a social gathering.  If you are a full time dealer then you are more than likely to do most of you business via a site, here or the many groups on FB, there is less and less emphasis on selling at a venue now.

Don't know about others though I still like to see what I am buying.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I would also say most wheeling and dealing is done in the first few hours and that record bars then become a social gathering.  If you are a full time dealer then you are more than likely to do most of you business via a site, here or the many groups on FB, there is less and less emphasis on selling at a venue now.

Don't know about others though I still like to see what I am buying.

Some deals are sealed before the nighter as well Chalky.Only the record changes hands on the night.I like a good flick through most boxes at Lifeline,always for something off the radar.There's always a good selection of £100-£300 plus tunes up there,but although interested in seeing them,i'm not usually carrying £300 spare - hence the post about running to the cash machine,i've done that before.!!!

The social aspect of the selling area is still important to me.I bumped into Eric last time up at Lifeline,selling some nice UK bits and had a great catch up with him.

As for the best nighter to buy at,i wouldn't know as its a bit subjective.

Let the Hunter see the Game.!!!

Social source share

Yep done many a deal beofre a night out and collected and paid for record on arrival.....it is still business on the niggt how ever you look at it.

As I said all dealers seem to struggle at venues, I do better on line when I do a list than at a venue, way the world is heading I'm afraid, soon be no high street. 

As for the best I couldn't say as I don't do nighters on a weekly basis and stopped doing nighters that offer the same old (I don't just mean oldies either) altogether.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

You know everything that happens up there do you?  no you don't.  John or Danny might tell you they sold this and that or bugger all but you can't speak for all the other dealers and besides you rarely venture up there.

Andy has said on here a few times that many deals are done away from nighters and l believe him ....who walks around a nighter with big money?  john does well enough (don,t really ask him).....you,ve missed the gist of what l said anyway.

you then go on to concure with what l said by  saying   "most dealers seem to struggle"  post 23......so l rest my case :thumbsup:  :)

Social source share

I took a 200 count box to an allnighter early last year with about 120 records between £150 - £500 - and a few above

the rest were £20 - £150 and they were priced to sell ie

Ordinary Joe M- £225  -  Ascots another day VG++ £400  Masqueraders same thing M- £500 - Duke Browner VG £200

All the common oldies  Valvettes - Velours - Showmen - Epitome of sound - Lou Johnson - Morris Williams - Johnny Sales etc

Im sure you get the jist

Im not gonna mention the allnighter as it was rammed so I cant blame the venue

The only sale I made was Clifford Curry on Elf at £30

After selling a few to mates I went to Prestatyn weekender

That got the ball rolling - Did well on sales to private punters and traders, plus a few after sales 

That reminds me I still got a couple of hundred left - What to do  :g:

Social source share

I took a 200 count box to an allnighter early last year with about 120 records between £150 - £500 - and a few above

the rest were £20 - £150 and they were priced to sell ie

Ordinary Joe M- £225  -  Ascots another day VG++ £400  Masqueraders same thing M- £500 - Duke Browner VG £200

All the common oldies  Valvettes - Velours - Showmen - Epitome of sound - Lou Johnson - Morris Williams - Johnny Sales etc

Im sure you get the jist

Im not gonna mention the allnighter as it was rammed so I cant blame the venue

The only sale I made was Clifford Curry on Elf at £30

After selling a few to mates I went to Prestatyn weekender

That got the ball rolling - Did well on sales to private punters and traders, plus a few after sales 

That reminds me I still got a couple of hundred left - What to do  :g:

Give 'em me to sell, they'd be gone before they even make an appearance on Soul Source!   :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The secret in buying  at Soul nites or Nighters is hunt down the seller with small sales boxes it's amazing what you can get cheap I took a 30 count box to the last Lowton and sold £800 in less than 1hour to Rob Smith , Kev Murp and a couple of other guys .Personally over the years I've had some amazing 45s from lookin through small sales boxes ...

Good call. Any serious collector with records to trade is missing a trick if they attend an event without a small box. Bigger dealers with table-size boxes are always willing to consider part-exchange deals also. Sure, the internet has has had an impact on dealing at venues, but ultimately it's about the records in demand and whether the supply can meet this.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!