Barry Wickham Rare Records California

Guest Soul Addict

Guest Soul Addict

Watch out when ordering from this dealer,

Having ordered a 45 under £200 and selecting the regular $14 postage I was invoiced for $50 postage instead.

Complaints fell on deaf ears so the order was cancelled.

Just a heads up

SA

Social source share

Watch out when ordering from this dealer,

Having ordered a 45 under £200 and selecting the regular $14 postage I was invoiced for $50 postage instead.

Complaints fell on deaf ears so the order was cancelled.

Just a heads up

SA

this dealer is very experienced, unusual for him not to reply to you, this was the dealer who had the antellects first forsale,many moons ago

Social source share

Guest Soul Addict

I never said there was no reply.... they replied but not satisfactorily.

If I'm given the option to choose a level of postage and pay for it its my decision what risk to take not theirs.

my post was merely a warning for others to check their invoices and not  to assume that simply because you have request a particular service that the vendor will adhere to your request.

Social source share

I never said there was no reply.... they replied but not satisfactorily.

If I'm given the option to choose a level of postage and pay for it its my decision what risk to take not theirs.

my post was merely a warning for others to check their invoices and not  to assume that simply because you have request a particular service that the vendor will adhere to your request.

Thats an absolutely valid point.

Social source share

Barry is a major dealer with a decent stock of good records. I have found him accommodating when transactions have not been flawless. Postage amounts these days are a real bone of contention so the buyer is on really solid ground when expressing a preference. Postage from the US is relatively inexpensive for records costing three figures so it is baffling that an option costing $50 entered the equation.

Social source share

All seems a bit of a grey area to me

If a US seller charges say $18 to send a $300 record with a tracking number but puts a low value on  the customs slip (because the buyer has requested it) and it goes missing or get's damaged, will the claim be rejected or limited to the amount shown on the customs declaration

Also who pays - the US post office or the UK post office - both will try and lay the blame elsewhere

• Helpful 1
Social source share

He didn't rip you off, he was straightforward and answered your questions, you couldn't agree on the terms, and you cancelled the transaction. Does that merit you coming on here and badmouthing him? What are you warning people about, that they will waste a few minutes of time and be annoyed? There are so many actually shady record dealers who overgrade, lie, etc. (many on here), I don't think your post was merited. 

For the record, he's a conservative grader, and he deals in rock / garage a lot more than soul, I don't know if that influences his shipping policy.

EDIT: and I don't particularly know him well or buy from him a lot either, I would do the same for any random dealer you made the same complaint about.

Edited by boba
Social source share

Bob, I think this may be somewhat of an over-reaction on Soul Addict's part.

I can understand his point that he has asked for cheapest delivery option and I assume has told the seller that he accepts full responsibility if it goes astray. However the seller, unless he has dealt with him previously, has no idea if his word is binding, and we have all read on here on numerous occasions of buyers being less than honest, so the seller wishes to protect himself from possible fraudulent claims.

I trust the seller in charging $50 also gave the buyer a breakdown of how that figure was arrived at, such as postage and insurance charges.

As for dodgy dealers you know the site takes this seriously. Think I've got rid of around seven people who caused problems when proof was provided.

I've actually just sent a 45 to Germany where I recommended ISF but was asked to send regular mail [£40 45]. I know I'm honest and I assume that the buyer is too.

ROD

Social source share

What about people who are just crappy graders? That is a subjective line and I'm sure few are reported to you. There are people I've bought off here who I wouldn't buy from again, I didn't report them. That's significantly worse than not agreeing on shipping. For the record, I'm far from the most conservative grader here too, I'm talking about ridiculous overgrading. I just make a mental note to not buy from them again and move on.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

As you say grading is subjective but where customer is not satisfied I always advise to return record right away.

If the seller is confident in his grading he can always sell it again.

I of course would only get involved if seller refused to take it back or seller claimed it wasn't the record he sent out.

There is also the feedback system to show your dissatisfaction with the deal.

ROD

Social source share

Guest Soul Addict

He didn't rip you off, he was straightforward and answered your questions, you couldn't agree on the terms, and you cancelled the transaction. Does that merit you coming on here and badmouthing him? What are you warning people about, that they will waste a few minutes of time and be annoyed? There are so many actually shady record dealers who overgrade, lie, etc. (many on here), I don't think your post was merited. 

For the record, he's a conservative grader, and he deals in rock / garage a lot more than soul, I don't know if that influences his shipping policy.

EDIT: and I don't particularly know him well or buy from him a lot either, I would do the same for any random dealer you made the same complaint about.

Boba.,.... thank you for your comment..... maybe you should re-read VERY carefully what I posted.

At NO point did I say he ripped me off, At no point did I Badmouth him, I merely expressed a factual account of a problem I felt others may need to look out for.

Who the hell made you the arbiter of what merits a post and what doesn't? Suppression of freedom of information is the M.O. of Fascism.

I'm not interested in your problems with gradings etc, so it would appear your post bears less relevance to this thread than you claim my original post does..

Social source share

Met the guy in CA and even visited his home.....he's a decent guy who has been dealing records for a long, long time.

I presume the payment was to be made via paypal, and so although you are happy to take the risk on cheaper postage and take the hit if anything goes wrong during shipping, he may well have been burned by other buyers in the past and is thus reluctant to take the chance again.

Have you suggested paying by paypal gift or bank transfer, so that he can be 100% sure you  cannot attempt to reclaim funds if the 45 goes missing or gets broken in transit.

I'm sure that he would be happy to ship standard post if this was the case?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soul Addict

Met the guy in CA and even visited his home.....he's a decent guy who has been dealing records for a long, long time.

I presume the payment was to be made via paypal, and so although you are happy to take the risk on cheaper postage and take the hit if anything goes wrong during shipping, he may well have been burned by other buyers in the past and is thus reluctant to take the chance again.

Have you suggested paying by paypal gift or bank transfer, so that he can be 100% sure you  cannot attempt to reclaim funds if the 45 goes missing or gets broken in transit.

Thank you for your constructive suggestion Mace

I tried various methods to allay there concerns although I didnt deal with Barry himself .

It was either staff or some other underling answering my Emails in a quite abrupt manner so I decided to leave it.

Social source share

I was gonna mention something similar to this, but Mace has already posted on point. In this day and age, there's so many 'buyers' that are fleecing international sales, and not just from the US. Obviously no-ones insinuating that you had any intention of doing so, but if you just put yourself in the dealers shoes for a second, would you be happy mailing an expensive record without any stability if the customer had received the record or not? What Barry is trying to protect himself against, is that without a signature on delivery, there's no immediate proof of receipt....so easy for the buyer to claim back via paypal, and the dealers out of pocket whilst acting in good faith.

Social source share

Thank you for your constructive suggestion Mace

I tried various methods to allay there concerns although I didnt deal with Barry himself .

It was either staff or some other underling answering my Emails in a quite abrupt manner so I decided to leave it.

Underling? How rude and condescending. That certainly is badmouthing.

Richard

Social source share

Guest Soul Addict

Richard

lol get a grip Richard ...... see the definition of 'Underling' before making yourself look silly

Social source share

Boba.,.... thank you for your comment..... maybe you should re-read VERY carefully what I posted.

At NO point did I say he ripped me off, At no point did I Badmouth him, I merely expressed a factual account of a problem I felt others may need to look out for.

Who the hell made you the arbiter of what merits a post and what doesn't? Suppression of freedom of information is the M.O. of Fascism.

I'm not interested in your problems with gradings etc, so it would appear your post bears less relevance to this thread than you claim my original post does..

I apologize for being a fascist.

I asked Barry what his policy was, he says that if the buyer doesn't want to pay $50 for tracked global priority mail, they can choose a cheaper option as long as they accept responsibility if the package is lost. You apparently didn't want to do that so instead you came on here to badmouth him (I apologize, you only "warned" people about him -- your own words), a reputable dealer.

If your first post was actually clear it would have said that you were warning people that they needed to accept responsibility for lost packages if they wanted a cheaper mailing rate than $50.

Is any of this incorrect? Is any of this fascist? Please advise.

Social source share

Richard

lol get a grip Richard ...... see the definition of 'Underling' before making yourself look silly

There's no "LOL" about it. It's pretty clear you meant it in a derogatory way - it is a derogatory word after all - and a quick online check, as you suggested, throws up a whole load of derogatory references. Here's a simple example:

underling

noun (Derogatory) subordinateinferiorminionservantslavecohort (chiefly U.S.)retainermenialnonentitylackeyhirelingflunkyunderstrapper underlings who do the dirty work

Hardly polite, respectful or appropriate to people who work for a record dealer to earn a crust and who are just doing their job is it?

Regardless of the above, I'm surprised you even felt the need to come on here and badmouth Barry ("watch out when ordering from this dealer") who is a well-known and well-respected dealer - not least  given that you only made the effort to post twice on here in the whole of 2013 and that all your posts previous to that go back to 2011.

I wonder if you responded to what you called the "underlings" in a similarly derogatory manner when you corresponded with them - that would explain a lot.

if you're so convinced about this, then why not post up your communications so we can all see how right you were?

Also, if you were really so unhappy with the transaction, why did you not escalate this as a complaint to the boss, which would be the normal route to address a problem? Seems strange that you did not do that, but you were still clearly not prepared to let it go and you felt the need to come on here badmouthing Barry and then having a go at anyone who disagrees with your assertions - despite the fact you have provided no evidence to back up what you said.

Suggest you get over it and move on - and perhaps that you treat people with more respect in the future including any "underlings" you come across on your record-buying travels.

Richard

Social source share

Guest Soul Addict

I apologize for being a fascist.

I asked Barry what his policy was, he says that if the buyer doesn't want to pay $50 for tracked global priority mail, they can choose a cheaper option as long as they accept responsibility if the package is lost. You apparently didn't want to do that so instead you came on here to badmouth him (I apologize, you only "warned" people about him -- your own words), a reputable dealer.

If your first post was actually clear it would have said that you were warning people that they needed to accept responsibility for lost packages if they wanted a cheaper mailing rate than $50.

Is any of this incorrect? Is any of this fascist? Please advise.

well yes on this occasion you are completely wrong.... I offered to take full responsibility for the shipment but this wasn't acceptable to the person representing BWRR on the other end of the conversation. The reason being that I trust dealers like Barry who I know have been around for a long time and have no delivery issues this end.

My POINT if you had bothered to consider it was MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THAT WHAT YOU ARE INVOICED IS WHAT YOU REQUESTED!! nothing more, no badmouthing of the dealer, As I was cornered into either paying  $50 or not getting the 45.  The ordering screen gave ME the option to choose the postage level. The options were set up by the dealer..... but they didn't want to abide by the options they gave me.  A situation that I felt was unfair.

Yes I would have preferred to discuss it directly with Barry but wasn't given that option.

Richard...... I don't know if you had to scour far for that set of definitions but there are many that simply say it's just a noun not mentioning derogatory..... meaning a subordinate. I have been a subordinate/underling... technically anyone that is an employee is such.... I don't see it as derogatory at all.... its very easy to be selectively sensitive by proxy, it wasn't aimed at you, merely a generalisation of  someone who isn't the Boss....

Don't judge me , you don't know me, don't assume simply because you don't understand me that I must be taking a derogatory stance.

There are plenty who do know me and will tell you that is not my way.

Social source share

When I first bought a record from Barry Wickham, I was charged a lot more for postage. I spoke to a woman Marda, who I have dealt with since when buying records from there.

She told me the reason they charge more for a first time buyer is, they have been ripped off in the past by people claiming not to have received records. So, if your a first timer buying a record that's over £100, they would rather it be tracked. Whether it's true or not I don't know, but I decided to pay the extra as I wanted the record and I have been charged normal rates since.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!