Motown Lp Only Tracks

Mike

Inspired by recent post, and while have hit the lp tracks topic a few times think a worthy quick hit and run thread would be worthwhile motown lp only tracks

well known, should be well known, oddball, cover versions, etc etc

kick it off with two from same lp that always enjoy and still hear 24 hrs out and about now and again

Edwin Starr - 25 Miles

24 Hours (to find my baby) and Soul City (open your arms to me)

Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Mike, I spun a track off Billy Eckstine's Prime Of My Life lp called Fantasy at the 100 Club. It quite rightly cleared the floor as I had evidently lost my mind. But I think it's just killer. Perhaps a bit..... dramatic and cabaret, but it has this kind of aura that just suspends the song in mid air then soars.... Have a listen and it might make a bit more sense.

Social source share

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell "I'm Your Puppet" (from "Easy" Tamla)

G.C. Cameron "Include Me In Your Life" (from "G.C. Cameron" Motown)

Chuck Jackson "Let Someone Love You" (from "Teardrops Keep Falling On My Heart" VIP)

Marvin Gaye "There Goes My Baby" (from "In The Groove" Tamla)

Bobby Taylor "Don't Be Afraid" (from "Taylor Made Soul" Gordy)

David Ruffin "The Roving Kind" (from "David Ruffin" Motown)

Edited by garethx
Social source share

the Jimmy Ruffin...UK..Sounds Superb LP (1974?).."ive passed this way before"..has some tracks on it that i think never got an official US release.....(on LP or 45)......maybe pulled out of the can after he left........i like "ive got you girl".....lovely mid tempo ........( isnt "born to be bad " a great tune?).... :thumbsup:

Edited by platters 81
Social source share

The Monitors "Share A Little Love With Me" from "Greetings We're The Monitors" comes instantly to mind.

link

Tammi Terrell - 'Tears at the end of a love affair'

Social source share

jimmy ruffin - 96 tears

temptations - save my love for a rainy day

well thats 2 that i play out

also ....not sure about this one

edwin starr - you beat me to the punch ?

Social source share

Inspired by recent post, and while have hit the lp tracks topic a few times think a worthy quick hit and run thread would be worthwhile motown lp only tracks

link

Isley Brothers - Seek and You Shall find

Marvin and Tammi - Memory Chest (awesome)

David Ruffin - I Can't Stop The Rain

Smokey & Miracles - Just Losing You

Gladys Knight & The Pips - Ain't You Glad You Chose Love

Gladys Knight & The Pips - The Stranger

Social source share

I can't Stop The Rain David Ruffin came out as a UK single, but..a few I play out at Live It Up

Smokey Robinson-- More More of Your Love

Shorty Long --Baby Come Home To Me

Stevie Wonder --Angel baby & I Want My Baby Back

Edwin Starr--I Just Wanted To Cry

2 Stomers from the Supremes---Money & Misery Makes My Heart Its Home.

The list is endless folks

Tony

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Supremes / Can't shake it loose

David Ruffin / What you gave me

Isley Brothers / Whispers ( getting louder )

Gladys Knight / Ain't you glad you chose love

Gladys Knight / He's my kind of fellow

Social source share

I can't Stop The Rain David Ruffin came out as a UK single, but..a few I play out at Live It Up

Smokey Robinson-- More More of Your Love

Shorty Long --Baby Come Home To Me

Stevie Wonder --Angel baby & I Want My Baby Back

Edwin Starr--I Just Wanted To Cry

2 Stomers from the Supremes---Money  & Misery Makes My Heart Its Home.

The list is endless folks

Tony

link

Maybe of interest ?Edwin Starr "i just wanted to cry" did get a german pic cover 45 release

Social source share

I like these:

"Father Dear" by the Miracles off the "Hi, We're the Miracles" LP

"A Favor For a Girl" Brenda Holloway from the "Every Little Bit Hurts" LP (been loving that one since 1987 and someone just included that one on the midtempo swap)

"Time Is Passing By" the Monitors: I don't know if this is LP only or a single, but I love this one.

On the Gladys Knight LP that includes "Take a Walk In My Shoes", there is a great track at the end of one of the sides. Can't remember the name, though. Can anyone help?

I'm all for the swap, too. Motown's got so much great overlooked stuff.

-Jas

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

FOUR TOPS - TEA HOUSE IN CHINA TOWN[GREAT VERSION]  1ST LP & I'D BE GREATFUL OFF 2ND LP.

link

Try looking at the Soul Satisfaction Series on Motown compiled by the lovely Jo Wallace thumbsup.gif Taffs/ Steve Woomble's tracks and many of the others are on the CDs. The criteria for the series is B sides and Album Tracks..... :thumbsup: Just thought I'd mention it :rolleyes:
Social source share

kick it off with two from same lp that always enjoy and still hear 24 hrs out and about now and again

Edwin Starr - 25 Miles

24 Hours (to find my baby) and Soul City (open your arms to me)

link

Its got to be THE VELVELETTES "THESE THING WILL KEEP ME LOVING YOU" with the different words ! I will be playing this to the Velvelettes personally on Friday at the Great yarmouth weekender bet they haven't heard it since they recorded the record ! Also bet the person who put the WRONG version on the compilation LP didn't even know he had done it ! Long live BUB and the TRACKY Club for always playing it!

Social source share

Gladys Knight-What good am I without you

David Ruffin-Questions

Marvin Gaye-Most of the MPG album

Tammi Terrell-Tears at the end of a love afair

Tops and Supremes-Dont you love me just a little bit honey

Temptations-No more water in the well

Smokey-Flying high together

Bobby Taylor-One girl

Brenda Holloway-A favour for a girl

4 Tops-I`m grateful

4 Tops-left with a broken heart

So, so many, all wonderful.........

Chris

Social source share

And there's more,

From Tears of A Clown LP-- Don't Think Its Me--Not played it out yet but tis a good ender.

++Kiki Dee--Love like a warm Kind of sorrow

Jimmy Ruffin -Beauty's Only Skin Deep

Jnr Walker --These Things Will Keep Me Loving You

Isleys-Somebody Share a Little Love with me

Temptations--All side 2 of Cloud 9 LP especially Hey Girl

Gladys Knight--I Know Better

Temptations--No man can love her like I do

Anymore for Anymore??

Tony

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Re. Brenda Holloway's Favour for a girl

I got my wrist quickly slapped by Mick Smith a few months ago for this one - it isn't an "LP only" track. There is a french issued EP - TMEF 508 (bloody gorgeous pic. cover too!)

Social source share

Its got to be THE VELVELETTES "THESE THING WILL KEEP ME LOVING YOU" with the different words ! I will be playing this to the Velvelettes personally on Friday at the Great yarmouth weekender bet they haven't heard it since they recorded the record ! Also bet the person who put the WRONG version on the compilation LP didn't even know he had done it ! Long live BUB and the TRACKY Club for always playing it!

They might have heard it on the new Double CD that they wrote the sleeve notes for.

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Mike, I spun a track off Billy Eckstine's Prime Of My Life lp called Fantasy at the 100 Club. It quite rightly cleared the floor as I had evidently lost my mind. But I think it's just killer. Perhaps a bit..... dramatic and cabaret, but it has this kind of aura that just suspends the song in mid air then soars.... Have a listen and it might make a bit more sense.

link

ABOUT TIME SOME ONE ELSE PICKED THIS FABULOUS TRACK UP. BILLYS MOTOWN STUFF SEEMS TO HINGE AROUND A 'HAD YOU BEEN AROUND' TEMPO, MUCH LIKE THE MAJORITY OF HIS POST 60'S OUTPUT. THIS TRACK IVE BEEN CHAMPIONING FOR NIGH ON 40 YEARS SINCE BEING INTRODUCED TO IT BY MY DAD-A TRUE BLACK MUSIC FAN OF THE 30'S, 40'S, 50'S & 60'S. INCIDENTLY THIS WAS ALSO MY MATERNAL GRANDMOTHERS FAV ECKSTINE TRACK. NOTE THAT ITS THE ONLY TRACK WITH SERIOUS MOTOWN IN HOUSE WRITERS.REST IN PEACE DAD AND KITTY.

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

MY FAV OF THE MOMENT IS OFF THE MIRACLES FOUR IN BLUE, TRACK 'DONT SAY YOU LOVE ME'

EDWIN STARR'S MY WEAKNESS IS YOU' OF THE SOUL MASTER LP ALSO FEATURES A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TAKE, BACKING TRACK AND VOCALS.

D ROSS AND SUP'S TRACK OFF LOVE CHILD LP IS 'CANT SHAKE IT LOOSE' MADE FAMOUS ON THE 'NORMAN' SCENE BY PAT LEWIS

THE SUPREMES LP 'SING RODGERS AND HART' INCLUDES A STORMING UPTEMPO 'MY HEART STOOD STILL'.

D. R AND THE SUPREMES LP LET THE SUNSHINE IN HAS THREE GOOD TRACKS THE BEST BEING 'WILL THIS BE THE DAY'

TEMPS-SAVE YOUR LOVE FOR A RAINY DAY-LP 'WITH A LOT OF SOUL'

DAVID RUFFIN'S EVERYTHING COMING UP LOVE FEATURES A SUPERIOR VERSION OF 'FIRST ROUND KNOCKOUT'

PATRICK GAMMON-LP DONT TOUCH ME HAS INFATUATION ON, IVE NOT SEEN A SINGLE BUT MIGHT BE ON THE RVERSE OF A GERMAN 12"

CHECK OUT JNR WALKERS LATER LP SAX APPEAL

STILL TRYING TO DECIDE WETHER SAMMY DAVIS LP 'SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE' CONTAINS A DANCER-SPINNING TOP MAYBE

MARY WELLS - VERSION OF 'WHEN IM GONE' ON SOUNDS SUPERB LP

KIKI DEE'S CHEAPO LP ON SOUNDS SUPERB INCLUDES THREE GREAT TRACKS 'LOVE MAKES THE WORLD GO AROUND' 'BE MY LOVE' AND ILL TRY SOMETHING NEW, I THINK OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD.................................................PLUS 100'S MORE IF PROMTED :P

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!