Shades Of Soul Fanzine Issue 32 Out For The Weekend

At long last - que fanfare of trumpets - Shades Of Soul issue 32 will be out for the weekend. There's 20 contributors highlighting The Topics, The Hytones, The Fabulous Dinos, Joe Perkins discography and the Chicago based Crash label. Steve Plumb's 4 pager on 'rare 70s soul 45s not released in the US or UK', Mal Collin's indepth story on the St Louis based Yodi label with interviews & listing plus Chris Waterman's Young Guns. Reviews of the Oslo Soul Experience, Piercebridge and Manchester's 'Soul Or Nothing'.Alex M Franquet's 7 page interviews with Frank Garcia, Barbara Mercer, Joey Kingfish and members of the Debonaires, Falcons & Magic Tones. Words from Dean Johnson. Steve Guarnori reviews the 70s/80s Venture label. Birmingham DJ John Weston gets interviewed so does the singer Vee Allen who recorded for Lion Records. Plus record reviews by Eddie Hubbard (deep), Jumpin Joan (northern), Glyn Thornhill (tent), Des Parker (northern), Brian Goucher (allsorts), Brett Franklin (northern), Andy McIntyre (crossover), Andy Dyson (northern), Barrie Waddington (northern), Matthew Simpson (northern) and Mark Baildon (Greatstone plays). Dozens and dozens of playlists and label scans. 54 pages of solid reading for those that just can't get enough. To all the contributors I say thank you - it's all been very worthwhile. And there's a Brunswick photo of Channel 3 on the front cover!

Will post up price, payment details blah blah blah tomorrow.

Onwards, derek

will start mailing subscription copies out Monday 3rd July onwards...

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

At long last - que fanfare of trumpets - Shades Of Soul issue 32 will be out for the weekend. There's 20 contributors highlighting The Topics, The Hytones, The Fabulous Dinos, Joe Perkins discography and the Chicago based Crash label. Steve Plumb's 4 pager on 'rare 70s soul 45s not released in the US or UK', Mal Collin's indepth story on the St Louis based Yodi label with interviews & listing plus Chris Waterman's Young Guns. Reviews of the Oslo Soul Experience, Piercebridge and Manchester's 'Soul Or Nothing'.Alex M Franquet's 7 page interviews with Frank Garcia, Barbara Mercer, Joey Kingfish and members of the Debonaires, Falcons & Magic Tones. Words from Dean Johnson. Steve Guarnori reviews the 70s/80s Venture label. Birmingham DJ John Weston gets interviewed so does the singer Vee Allen who recorded for Lion Records. Plus record reviews by Eddie Hubbard (deep), Jumpin Joan (northern), Glyn Thornhill (tent), Des Parker (northern), Brian Goucher (allsorts), Brett Franklin (northern), Andy McIntyre (crossover), Andy Dyson (northern), Barrie Waddington (northern), Matthew Simpson (northern) and Mark Baildon (Greatstone plays). Dozens and dozens of playlists and label scans. 54 pages of solid reading for those that just can't get enough. To all the contributors I say thank you - it's all been very worthwhile. And there's a Brunswick photo of Channel 3 on the front cover!

Onwards, derek

Can't wait Derek , one of the best fanzines returns !! Best Wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

Onwards, derek

Derek will you be able to get copies over to the Orwell on Friday?

Social source share

Reading Derek's post there , can anyone enlighten me on what 'tent' music is please :yes:

Thanks

We've been kicked out of the House & Garage and now we're in the bloody Tent!

Seriously though, it's a mix of Soulful Crossover and Modern Stuff that originated just up the road from you at some weekender thang, where the good stuff has been relegated to a Tent.

I'm getting into 'Kennel' at the moment. In the dog house, as usual.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Tent comes from the fleetwood weekenders,is that correct...The Von Trouts(John and Alison on soul source members)are to be found in this tent...Let me know if you want to hear some Grant,i could burn you a cd they sent me..I like some tent,its better than the some of the TOILET i hear at some places :thumbsup: ..

Social source share

post-1224-1151735449.jpgthanks for all your comments chaps - If anybody wants a copy here's payment details:

UK: £4 chq to Derek Pearson, 51 Thornley Lane North, Reddish, Stockport, Cheshire, SK5 6QR. Or Paypal £4 to D.Pearson@bradford.ac.uk

Europe: Paypal $8 to D.Pearson@bradford.ac.uk

USA/Australia/Japan: Paypal $10 to D.Pearson@bradford.ac.uk

Contact me first if you want to pay by any other method.

Not really promoting subscriptions 'cos the time delay between issues is so irregular but if anybody wants one please contact me. Also contact me if you want to confirm/check your subs or whatever.

Right its time to enjoy the sunshine,

derek

I will reply directly to all those that have PM'd me and emailed. Thanks.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!