Nas, Father, Blues, Rap- Bridging The Gap?

Mike

Maybe of interest?

Maybe not ?

Caught my lad listening to this track today

real listen

win media listen

publicity goes along lines of

"From its opening blues vamp, drenched in a Bo Diddley-meets-Muddy Waters rhythmic swagger, you know that rap legend Nas and his noted musician father Olu Dara have seized hip-hop by the throat on their new single "Bridging The Gap." By now it's a clich for hip hoppers to join the rap-rock brigade. But there are precious few rappers who've bothered to tap the fertile sonic vein that produced rock " and as quiet as it's kept, hip hop as well. After all, with its double entendres, colorful language, relentless boasting, homespun machismo and tragicomic sensibility, the blues are a forceful parent to rap. Olu Dara and Nas brilliantly play off of the kinship of their music and manhood on their most breathtaking collaboration to date. "Bridging The Gap" is a soulful tribute to the roots shared by father and son, by the rural and the urban, and by two supremely gifted artists." - Michael Eric Dyson

rap/blues ???

Not that convinced but it stirred interest

Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Maybe of interest?

Maybe not ?

Caught my lad listening to this track today

real listen

win media listen

publicity goes along lines of

rap/blues ???

Not that convinced but it stirred  interest

link

I Like it. But I like loads of good Rap (although I don't think its top draw Rap)- Its a logical progression from Blues to R&B via Funk to HipHop. I just love Black music - Not just a classification of sounds championed by white DJ's from the UK. I do however understand that it is the channelling that keeps a scene pure. But there again I don't dig scenes - They lead to narrow mindedness.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!