Leighton Buzzard 1983 And 1987 Video

Wiggyflat

I  do think it's how you play them and my ear is still pretty good.

Abso'f*ckin'lutely - Look at your friend Baz on the video I mentioned - I've now played that clip 4 times!......I know what he would have said about eBay....... :yes: 

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I am liking the sound of this even though I wasn't there back then. shame that baz reilly has gone I'm sure we would all know who he was if he was still around , the brightest flames always burn quickest. on a lighter note does that mean there will be a resurgence of peg trousers, Payton slip on's and perms and tache's :lol: .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Thank you so much for posting these up…….Just watched the first part and was just mesmerised by it. Bought so many memories back of a great period when the scene was truly underground. There was nothing even remotely like it around. I recognised so many people from the footage and God, doesn't everyone look so young ! I'd also completely forgot just how barking mad Baz Riley was ! [He's the one playing Bobby Valentine, Betti Lou & Bobby Adams Etc complete with General Johnson style BBRRRR s  over the mike if you didn't know]  Ha ha, Top bloke,sadly no longer with us. R.I.P Baz….

I had a real laugh as well at some of the dreadful fashions and dress sense of some of the crowd. Top honours go to the Geezer who looks like one of Rab C. Nesbits mates @ around 40:26 into the footage ! Check him out for some fashion tips…..

Im gonna watch all of these through,

Best, Ivor

Social source share

I am liking the sound of this even though I wasn't there back then. shame that baz reilly has gone I'm sure we would all know who he was if he was still around , the brightest flames always burn quickest. on a lighter note does that mean there will be a resurgence of peg trousers, Payton slip on's and perms and tache's :lol: .

Indeed. The brightest stars shine then are gone - they don't just fade away.......I don't care what the 80's returnees wear - they were cool as far as I'm concerned, and still influence me.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Brilliant. Thank you for posting. Time tunnel. So many old faces. Marvellous!

Fully expected to come out of that door at the end of the last one....Then remembered, was probs in the karzi getting changed and fixing my hair. That used to be a big ritual. Anyone remember it?

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

given my age group, i would much rather hear stories of the unicorn, bradford, do's round the oxford area than wigan!

seem to remember newbury, berks too

great times

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

This is better quality than the clips on youtube.Great interviews as well.....anybody got any old videos of niters etc that they want transferring to dvd??

Thanks for posting these up, really interesting lookback. Having now seen the part 2 I'm pretty sure that parts 1 & 2 are a couple of years later than stated.Not  wishing to nitpick of course, but when i was watching i was racking my brains thinking that some of the sounds were a bit later than 1983. Watching the interview section which was clearly the same night,Adam stated his fave sound of the time was Nina Simone "Touching and Caring" [On the ball as usual ! Hello Adam….]. That was released in 1985 I think, not before.  Brilliant bit of time travel Wiggy, thanks mate…..

Social source share

Thanks for the comments Ivor.I'm.a Virgo so precise info is always appreciated.A few people have asked if they are going to be for sale.Jon Buck was the cameraman so I will ask his permission.Im not bothered about making any money so maybe a PayPal donation to a charity might do the trick.Does anyone knpw if the club is still open? We know Bicknell is now deejaying again,Brian Rae has never stopped...he is one man who should get. northern soul award.Is Adam Buchanan still deejaying? I wonder if this might spur Jon to do a reunion gig....time to get yer pegs out and growing those wedges and taches.

Social source share

Thanks for posting these up, really interesting lookback. Having now seen the part 2 I'm pretty sure that parts 1 & 2 are a couple of years later than stated.Not  wishing to nitpick of course, but when i was watching i was racking my brains thinking that some of the sounds were a bit later than 1983. Watching the interview section which was clearly the same night,Adam stated his fave sound of the time was Nina Simone "Touching and Caring" [On the ball as usual ! Hello Adam….]. That was released in 1985 I think, not before.  Brilliant bit of time travel Wiggy, thanks mate…..

Definitely 1986 and not '83. I was 16 at that 1st anniversary. still got the patch somewhere.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for the comments Ivor.I'm.a Virgo so precise info is always appreciated.A few people have asked if they are going to be for sale.Jon Buck was the cameraman so I will ask his permission.Im not bothered about making any money so maybe a PayPal donation to a charity might do the trick.Does anyone knpw if the club is still open? We know Bicknell is now deejaying again,Brian Rae has never stopped...he is one man who should get. northern soul award.Is Adam Buchanan still deejaying? I wonder if this might spur Jon to do a reunion gig....time to get yer pegs out and growing those wedges and taches.

The building is still there but not a club anymore. think it's just a pub or restaurant. That side entrance no longer exists.

Bucky did bag the place for a reunion 6/7 years ago. The interior layout had changed so much as to be unrecognizable.

Edited by John A
Social source share

Who's the guy D.Jing at 27.29, playing 'How High Can Ya Fly', then 'Use It Before You Lose It'? - F*ckin' brilliant!

Baz really was a top geezer and real good company.He used to come down often to D.J. at our local soul dos.

I can remember buying "Use it before you lose it" after hearing Baz playing it....took it home,played it...and I'm thinking this isn't the same version as Baz plays,it's not as good....fast forward to when I next hear Baz play it out and it dawns on me that my copy didn't sound as good because Baz is toasting over the mike while he's playing it ..... :lol:

I've still got a copy of Harvey "Any way you want to" from around this time that Baz gave me with the cover up labels still on it as Sam Hawkins

Edited by Edwin S Wales
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Is Adam Buchanan still deejaying?

He don't much, but we did manage to 'prize' him out a couple of months ago to D.J in 'The Den' - He did a great job, one of my all time fave D.J's........I may ask him to do the same night as Mark Bicknell, and do a 'spirit of' kinda thing.

Thanks again for posting these clips - You may have just inspired a whole load of '80's returnees' :yes:

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Fabulous Wiggy. :hatsoff2:

The picture quality is amazing and the music even more so.

How good do Betty Lou & Bobby Adams and The Showmen sound!? Totally transported. I thank you!

Mac

p.s. What's the Latin sounding track in Baz's set?  Reminded me of Manny Corchado.

Social source share

Fabulous Wiggy. :hatsoff2:

The picture quality is amazing and the music even more so.

How good do Betty Lou & Bobby Adams and The Showmen sound!? Totally transported. I thank you!

Mac

p.s. What's the Latin sounding track in Baz's set?  Reminded me of Manny Corchado.

'Bobby Valentin - Use It Before You Lose It'

Great track :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Gf4x4qXM4

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

'Bobby Valentin - Use It Before You Lose It'

Great track :thumbsup:

Thanks Len. Pity it's 350 quid in JM's guide. :-(

The Betty Lou & Bobby Adams is worse, at 850 quid. Are they really that scarce?

New records to me. I'd practically left the scene by 1985 when this superb video was recorded.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry to hear he's gone. He comes across as one of the great characters that made our Scene - Can you tell us anymore about him - Did he D.J regular?

All the best,

baz  great character len  spent many a great night with him the glass eye trick was his trade mark . sat in a pub in London with him when sally army came round collecting. he let down took eye out and said take this lol. need to say they soon moved on  . top nights at the unicorn with some top peps who still feel the same way about the scene :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

was wondering that myself, christ for what was considered a bit of an oldies nighter at the time the music sounds pretty progressive by todays standards.

Didn't realise you went there back then Algis (must've been a couple of years later we got to know each other) - I'm kicking around somewhere in there too - probably with Buey and the Oxford/Swindon lot.

I notice Craig Westwood looking like a model out of an Armani catalogue even the next morning - as ever.

I pop up with big silly sideburns in the last video at 45.01 and 47.07 utterly off me tree.

I loved the Unicorn - probably still my favourite nighter.

Loved Use It Before You Lose It - first record I paid £70 for back then.

Dave

PS Baz Riley - used to take out his glass eye and put it on the turntable.

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

hiya dave, haven't managed to  me yet, but I'm sure I was at this one, moved down to london in 87. top nighter, can always remember timmy mallett being on the big screen tv during the last couple of hours- we were the wide awake club!  does that mean you've lopped your burns then? next you'll be telling me you've shaved your tash off!

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Merely trimmed the sideys to a manly earlobe length mate - tash - accidentally cut that off 2 years ago (slipped with a razor whilst thinning it down - musn't look too boystown!) - first time Pete had ever seen me without it (I've only ever cut if off twice since I could grow one) - took about 1 hour for him to stop saying it made me look younger and to agree I should grow it back as soon as possible (I looked like the toad man off the League of Gentlemen without it).

Dx

PS I've heard it said pretty authoritatively (by someone that knew what they were talking about) that Willie Small was played at the Wheel - can anyone comment?

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Merely trimmed the sideys to a manly earlobe length mate - tash - accidentally cut that off 2 years ago (slipped with a razor whilst thinning it down - musn't look too boystown!) - first time Pete had ever seen me without it (I've only ever cut if off twice since I could grow one) - took about 1 hour for him to stop saying it made me look younger and to agree I should grow it back as soon as possible (I looked like the toad man off the League of Gentlemen without it).

Dx

PS I've heard it said pretty authoritatively (by someone that knew what they were talking about) that Willie Small was played at the Wheel - can anyone comment?

can you imagine copies of willie small being around back then? good news about the tash, couldnt imagine you without one, and anyway the're back in now and you rode through the storm. wear it with pride dave!

Social source share

Oh... THAT Paul - how's things on the South Coast - don't get out a lot at the mo - between work and everything else.

All the best

Dx

Don.t get out as well, like you say,all work and no play, plus the cost of travel.

Still collecting vinyl, it's an addiction.

Good to hear from you mate, cheers, Paul

Social source share

Ease up old son lol I said I would do Len's do and maybe the odd gig not really DJ'ing again full on but thanks for the head's up, I did do a RSG reunion thing for Jon about 4 years ago but it was not at the original venue with Danny Everard, Carl Fortnum and Brian missed the one several years ago though.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Fantastic memories and so many faces no longer with us sadly; Little Mark, Rob Kearney, Mad Mick, Baz, Phil The Turk - the list is endless. I've forgotten how skinny I was!!! The fashions were superb and interesting to note the North/South divide; The north lots of taches, wedges, ski jumpers etc and the South, a lot harder, cropped hair, brutus, fred perrys etc! I always rated Jon's RSG events from the first time we went to Hemel on a Thursday night to kick the weekend off at the dance studio there, where there was a wall of mirrors on one side where you could check out your moves before moving Ooop North for the weekend :-)  As for the music it was always progressive and you could always hear great toons; mix that with a superb atmosphere and a bunch of total nutters and you have your reason why it was such a beloved venue.

I went to the reunion a few years back and that was great night too; thanks for the memories Jon and love to you and Sue.

BTW can someone clean up the 2nd vid as thats me spinning and kicking like a mad thing in the background and my kids don't believe me! I've got to try and retain some form of street creed!!! LOL

Edited by TheBigO
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

BTW can someone clean up the 2nd vid as thats me spinning and kicking like a mad thing in the background and my kids don't believe me! I've got to try and retain some form of street creed!!! LOL

Download the video with something like Freemake Video Downloader

Download & install GOM Media Player and play the video with it.

Hit F7 and under 'video' tab adjust brightness, contrast etc. Under the 'Control' tab slow the video down by hitting the 'slow' button

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Download the video with something like Freemake Video Downloader

Download & install GOM Media Player and play the video with it.

Hit F7 and under 'video' tab adjust brightness, contrast etc. Under the 'Control' tab slow the video down by hitting the 'slow' button

Thanks Simon, my street creed wit the Joot may just about to be re-established  :D

Edited by TheBigO
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks originally to John for capturing these moments in time and so appreciative that these have been uploaded.

I had never seen the full versions and with it video footage of some great lost souls from the past who are no longer with us - alongside Baz, Dave Alcock, Chris - Pecker (Cheltenham), Mudd (Leicester) etc.

Mark (Gloucester)

Edited by littlestanley
Social source share

• 8 months later...

There's also a clip on mixcloud of an all Nighter in Dunstable but the sound quality isn't the best. The missus is originally from Dunstable and it's a shame as there doesn't seem to be much on around there. We regularly go to Rugby but even that's an hour away. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!