Wanted Tommy Rodgers 'tell It To The Wind/pass The Word' Ajp

Rocco151

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 

Dead right Midnight Brew!! At last someone here talking some sense about Tommy Rodgers. To be able to comment accurately about a record you got to know its history surely!! Well said mate...........first bit of accuracy Ive seen written here about it. Tommy Rodgers was a nothing record on the northern scene for the last 40 odd years until recent European interest in it. Two years ago you coudnt have given it away for free in a Lucky Bag!! Until recently in all my years on the northern scene, NO ONE has EVER EVER asked me for that record as a want........NEVER! Good on the Spanish or whoever etc for picking up on it...........no problem, but lets at least talk sense about it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't disagree with either yourself Tim or Tony with regards to what it is worth, it is a common record but I have seen it sell on at least one occasion for an amount near to the one quoted above and several times for £100 or so.

Just done a search and there has been 8 wants requests in the last 7 or 8 months and quite a few on the FB groups as well, somebody obviously wants it.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

If most of the copies were in the uk, and there was no demand for it, then it might have seemed common as it just hung around in sales boxes, but that might have been most of the copies in existance - a 100 box or something, spread out in packs..

otis lee would be like that if it hadnt become popular - 100s in the uk at one time, again, from soul bowl, but that was pretty much all the copies there were as it turned out.

you dont see either of those coming up in usa that much, which is something of a rarity test. Those soul bowl ones might have been the bulk of this record, and even if there were 100s, that's still a pretty rare record 30 years on.

Belting track imo, gav arno was playing this at the pow wow club around 2008. When I first heard it I assumed it was well known already, got a classic sort of sound.

Social source share

A regular play for me at the early Burnley events & niters.

I've had a few for sale through my hands in the last couple of years, even I was surprised when one of mine sold on ebay for around £100 a year or so ago...

'Pass the word' is a long time fave of mine, glad to see others are picking up on it...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If most of the copies were in the uk, and there was no demand for it, then it might have seemed common as it just hung around in sales boxes, but that might have been most of the copies in existance - a 100 box or something, spread out in packs..

otis lee would be like that if it hadnt become popular - 100s in the uk at one time, again, from soul bowl, but that was pretty much all the copies there were as it turned out.

you dont see either of those coming up in usa that much, which is something of a rarity test. Those soul bowl ones might have been the bulk of this record, and even if there were 100s, that's still a pretty rare record 30 years on.

Belting track imo, gav arno was playing this at the pow wow club around 2008. When I first heard it I assumed it was well known already, got a classic sort of sound.

Pass the Word has a definite Motown feel about it.

Social source share

Ady Harley played both sides back at Allanton, and he gave a spare to me, or actually I think he  charged me £3 the tight get, and I played it down South a couple of times, but suspect I was playing the other side, not like me to pick the wrong side.

It featured on a few tape swaps of mines, both sides.

All of above late 80's. early 90's. Obviously noone was listening, again! :D

Will check mines out for condition, sure it could be liberated for right price.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Ady Harley played both sides back at Allanton, and he gave a spare to me, or actually I think he  charged me £3 the tight get, and I played it down South a couple of times, but suspect I was playing the other side, not like me to pick the wrong side.

It featured on a few tape swaps of mines, both sides.

All of above late 80's. early 90's. Obviously noone was listening, again! :D

Will check mines out for condition, sure it could be liberated for right price.

I'll Tell It To The Wind was played at Stafford by Pat Brady. I bought his copy. (15.00 quid, so looking at these posts maybe I was ripped off, BUT I did see it not too long after for sale at 25.00 which it seemed to be at for about 20 years) 

I only played the other side recently when Chalky mentioned it on Facebook. Nice but I'm a stick in the mud and prefer the 'Wind' side.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

That this record is just now coming into its own doesn't seem that odd to me. In a seemingly endless universe of soul records, there are plenty of tunes that remain overlooked until someone bothers to check out the "B side" and finds something special. The fact that this record did not command a premium for years just demonstrates to me the arbitrariness of value in the soul scene.  We all know there are plenty of shit tunes that sell for bonkers amounts.  "Pass the Word," however, is a total stomper, and I'm glad to see people assigning some value to it.  It's making the floor go nuts at my monthly.

I can tell you for sure -- this is not a commonly found record in the States.  I know one other person Stateside who plays this, and all copies I've seen for sale in the last year are coming from the UK.  So it can't be that common.  Those who got it for peanuts 20-30 years ago -- hold on to it and watch it appreciate in value.   Or even better -- play the record out. Soul music is meant to be enjoyed after all!

• Helpful 2
Social source share