Portable Record Players

Davebanks

Here's one I bagged on Ebay

Item title

Price

P&P price

Quantity

Item total

1970s Lansay Buggy Mange Disque Portable Automatic Vintage Record player orange ( item: 141454169281  transaction:  )

141454169281_1.jpg

Paid on 11-Nov-14

£75.00

£17.00

£75.00

Standard Delivery from outside UK

Estimated delivery: Tue. 18 Nov. - Mon. 24 Nov.

Not a Discatron but just as good.

Works a treat.

Social source share

I have one of the original Handytrax, BRILLIANT! Had it for about 10 years, never changed the stylus, never had to, still sharp as... Cost me £70 new as I worked in shop that sold them so got a good discount. I use it next to my office desk to play any records I buy to see if they play OK. Never fails and as said above, more popular now than ever.
This one I got from a charity shop about 2 months ago, bought it for £25 cos they said they couldn't get it to work and it didn't have a plug. Might have helped if they had opened it up and seen that it actually took batteries. Bought new batteries and works perfect. Last one that worked sold for £325.
post-9727-0-31839300-1415918257_thumb.jp

post-9727-0-24973100-1415918272_thumb.jp

Social source share

I suspect you are talking about before these, but these were all the rage in the 80's and still in demand now. 

I've had a soundburger for sometime now and it's given me great service. Used to put panic into the US customs when they scanned my baggage. The company still have a UK base in Leeds if I recall but they don't stock spares. US ebay is the best place for drive belts, stylus etc.

Social source share

Crossly now do a version of the Soundburger called the revolution.

https://mobile.betanews.com/betanews/#!/entry/vinyl-ripping-with-the-crosley-revolution,5027bcab7af68a84dc80f45a/media/3,crosley-revolution

Not bad for what is between £49 & £68 quid. Juno.co.uk are stocking them in orange green and blue. Just bagged a blue one as it was the cheaper of the colours, same model though.

Social source share

Crossly now do a version of the Soundburger called the revolution.

https://mobile.betanews.com/betanews/#!/entry/vinyl-ripping-with-the-crosley-revolution,5027bcab7af68a84dc80f45a/media/3,crosley-revolution

Not bad for what is between £49 & £68 quid. Juno.co.uk are stocking them in orange green and blue. Just bagged a blue one as it was the cheaper of the colours, same model though.

Which is this as posted earlier

https://m.youtube.com...h?v=vXQeFyg1Vso

Social source share

Vestax Handytrax. Got one 10 years ago. Still using it.

4E239886.jpg

Thinking of buying one of these to transfer vinyl to ipod 

Can anyone tell me (forgive my technical inexpertise):-

1) The procedure for transferring vinyl to ipod in this way

Have done it previously by burning vinyl to recordable audio CD then loading onto itunes - does this method bypass itunes? Is it relatively straight forward? 

2) What loss of sound quality / how can you maximise sound quality

Burning vinyl to audio CD as above then onto itunes / ipod results in a noticeable reduction in volume

3) Would you risk your rare vinyl on the Handytrax? Another post said the new Soundburgers had a poor quality stylus

Advice appreciated

Cheers, Chris.

Social source share

Thinking of buying one of these to transfer vinyl to ipod 

Can anyone tell me (forgive my technical inexpertise):-

1) The procedure for transferring vinyl to ipod in this way

Have done it previously by burning vinyl to recordable audio CD then loading onto itunes - does this method bypass itunes? Is it relatively straight forward? 

2) What loss of sound quality / how can you maximise sound quality

Burning vinyl to audio CD as above then onto itunes / ipod results in a noticeable reduction in volume

3) Would you risk your rare vinyl on the Handytrax? Another post said the new Soundburgers had a poor quality stylus

Advice appreciated

Cheers, Chris.

I wouldn't use a portable to record to itunes Chris, also do these Vestax have a usb out?

Social source share

Pete, also why wouldn't you use a portable such as this? Looks decent enough quality?

They look alright but stands to reason you won't get the same results as you would off a 'proper' deck though?  I was using a Stanton through an adaptor thing going directly into the Mac, was perfect but then started to get crackle on it - Tesco had these USB decks on offer last month, wooden base, look nice, only basic but the recording quality was better than that which I had with the Stanton!

Thats just my opinion Chris, I might be totally wrong, I got a Vestax when they first came out but decided it was pointless so I moved it on.

Social source share

I wouldn't use a portable to record to itunes Chris, also do these Vestax have a usb out?

No USB on that model, you had me take mine over to the window to double-check :lol:  It has external speakers/phones sockets and that`s it.

The black one looks nice and up to date!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

here you go, Bush Discassette. I bought one in 1974 and only threw it away a couple of years ago as it was rusted to hell. Used to take it with all the time and remember playing records with mates down Aycliffe town centre many a Sunday! (the video is not mine)

Used to have one fitted in my 1965 Mini traveling to Wigan etc. :thumbsup:

Social source share

They look alright but stands to reason you won't get the same results as you would off a 'proper' deck though?  I was using a Stanton through an adaptor thing going directly into the Mac, was perfect but then started to get crackle on it - Tesco had these USB decks on offer last month, wooden base, look nice, only basic but the recording quality was better than that which I had with the Stanton!

Thats just my opinion Chris, I might be totally wrong, I got a Vestax when they first came out but decided it was pointless so I moved it on.

There's an audio output on the earlier ones, not sure about the newer ones, so you can plug in an external speaker, connect it to an existing system or connect it to your PC.

Social source share

Purchased the crossley Soundburger, thought I'd try a few cheap throwaway 45s before I chanced anything expensive. The needle destroyed the styrene ones, didn't try vinyl as that was enough for me... I'm sending it back, so thankful I didn't use it at a fair before hand. AVOID!

Social source share

Purchased the crossley Soundburger, thought I'd try a few cheap throwaway 45s before I chanced anything expensive. The needle destroyed the styrene ones, didn't try vinyl as that was enough for me... I'm sending it back, so thankful I didn't use it at a fair before hand. AVOID!

Should be renamed the Crossley Soundbuggerer.

Social source share

Here's a new condition 45 the tideline is not dirt, that's disintegrated grooves.

I've got a Crosley, and it doesn't cause any damage at all that I can see or hear on Styrene. Following your post I thought I'd try playing the same styrene record ten times to see if I could replicate the damage. Nope, not a mark, or deterioration in sound.

Perhaps you just got one with a duff needle ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't think so Dave, although none of those needles on crosley are brilliant quality. On the soundburger lookalike I think it is down to poor design of the arm and the fact it's not angled correctly and has poor balance. That being said, it is possible it could have been a duff one. I've not ordered another to find out. It's been sent back now so will just invest in a handy trax.

Edited by SB68
Social source share

got this in 1995 £50 in curries couple of months ago i changed the stilus -  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bush-MTT1-Turntable-Hi-Fi-midi-size-separate-Record-player-/311160529934?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item48729ce40e

then i was looking through one of fb sales sites got this for a £10 only down the road no pp - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Turntable-Model-PS-J20-/151500505316?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item23462240e4

not usb lead into the mic jack of pc

Social source share

Gerry H , I also have this sony ( bush) deck......its good for playing my old 45s on ...I just put the lead into my hi fi amp aux, works great, never jumps....got mine from richer sounds about 10 years ago....was a good price then too.....not portable, but good if you have a hifi aux.......or a mini, micro hifi with no deck....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!