Milton Wright On Satiron

Ian Seaman

Not many I wouldn't have thought. Was just saying to Scal - dj's were playing this off emidiscs, not off Satiron copies, then it came out on Grapevine, then the "import" copies appeared, well after.

an I always thought the import copies were before the grapevine, you live n learn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

an I always thought the import copies were before the grapevine, you live n learn

No you might well be right Grant but they were not made available to Joe Public if they were, I actually didn't see this until the 80's on that yellow label and I swear to you I was buying or at least seeing everything that got pressed from maybe 1975 to 1980 in Peps shop

Social source share

Not many I wouldn't have thought. Was just saying to Scal - dj's were playing this off emidiscs, not off Satiron copies, then it came out on Grapevine, then the "import" copies appeared, well after.

I remember "I belong To You" sounded great in Wigan when it was a monster, before it came out on Grapevine.  The floor used to be totally packed when it was played!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Certainly played at Wigan some time before the Grapevine issue……but why would it be "pressed" anyway if on Grapevine? Doesn't make sense….

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The label on the Grapevine one says 1976.  I bought the Satiron one from John Anderson when he listed it, and I think that was before the Grapevine one came ought.  Presumably a few hundred of the Satiron one pressed?.  

I don't think it would have made sense to get the Satiron one pressed up (with Rolling Stone vocal on the flip, that no one was interested in at the time) after the Grapevine one was issued with the popular instrumental (Gallop) on the flip.

Edited by AlanB
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The label on the Grapevine one says 1976.  I bought the Satiron one from John Anderson when he listed it, and I think that was before the Grapevine one came ought.  Presumably a few hundred pressed?.  

I don't think it would have made sense to get the Satiron one pressed up (with Rolling Stone vocal on the flip, that no one was interested in at the time) after the Grapevine one was issued with the popular instrumental (Gallop) on the flip.

Yes but why issue it on Satirion and kill the sales potential of the Grapevine one?  Especially when you part own the label.

Social source share

Yes but why issue it on Satirion and kill the sales potential of the Grapevine one?  Especially when you part own the label.

I agree it seems strange for John Anderson to have arranged both releases quite close together, but I think it would seem more sensible to have gone with the Satiron one first (which I think was a limited run), then follow it with Grapevine, rather than the other way round.  

Social source share

I agree it seems strange for John Anderson to have arranged both releases quite close together, but I think it would seem more sensible to have gone with the Satiron one first (which I think was a limited run), then follow it with Grapevine, rather than the other way round.  

I agree with that but am just saying that these were not around to buy at the time, if they were there you must have either had to be in the know or you bought durectly off John, I never saw it in a shop or an advert - if you think about it, it was massive until it came out on Grapevine so if it had been pressed for all and sundry before Grapevine, it would have been dropped for sure

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I agree with that but am just saying that these were not around to buy at the time, if they were there you must have either had to be in the know or you bought durectly off John, I never saw it in a shop or an advert - if you think about it, it was massive until it came out on Grapevine so if it had been pressed for all and sundry before Grapevine, it would have been dropped for sure

Very true. I'll ask john about it next time I see / speak to him. 

Social source share

If I remember right it was one of his front page records, listed in the same kind of way as the Harthon reissues were. 

Edited by AlanB
Social source share

If I remember right it was one of his front page records, listed in the same kind of way as the Harthon reissues were. 

I can't remember who played it, but I can recall at St Ives in 1977 Milton Wright being played for the first time, complete with the dj comment along the lines of "Here's one you know really well - but with a vocal!"

And yes, front page Soul Bowl listing - £1.50 in 1978 if I recall correctly!

Edited by rictic67
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I believe it was a limited press!! Kind of a promo for the Grapevine release!!  I Guess!!  I know I nearly got my head bitten off for playing it at Lytham Football Club by a certain Jon Le Saint just before he was due to do his spot!!! as The Gallop was his biggie at that time!! :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Defo remember the import copy in circulation before the Grapevine release - a fantastic recording and certainly  caught my imagination back  then !!! Ticked all the right boxes !! 

Acquired a Grapevine demo on its UK release- was well well pleased ...

Love it ....here goes cudna resist giving it another listen!!!  

tfk :rofl:

Edited by tfk
Social source share

• 5 years later...
On 23/01/2014 at 20:22, Jerry Hipkiss said:

I always thought they were mainly to get DJ's playing the vocal ahead of the Grapevine release!

It is listed twice in the BMI Cat However I can not see a listing for Like a rolling stone? The other I belong to you is SONGWRITER/COMPOSER - BROWN ALLANSON. There are 8 listings on the BMI site for the song title "Like a rolling stone" none of them are by Milton Wright?

Milton Wright BMI.JPG

Edited by Dean Carr
Social source share

I remember the gallop being played at Spurley Hey school / youth club all dayer Rotherham, around 77

Also used by the BBC on a few programmes, so it must have been on grapevine.

However I did own a copy of IBTY on the yellow satiron and always thought it could not have been an original as I only paid a few Bob for it.

Probably dropped a bo*ll*k there if in fact this thread is true.....sold it cheap as well..

Still somebody has got my copy....

What a moody tune. Awesome played loud in a big hall..

Ed

Edited by Tomangoes
Spello
Social source share

5 hours ago, Dean Carr said:

It is listed twice in the BMI Cat However I can not see a listing for Like a rolling stone? The other I belong to you is SONGWRITER/COMPOSER - BROWN ALLANSON. There are 8 listings on the BMI site for the song title "Like a rolling stone" none of them are by Milton Wright?

Milton Wright BMI.JPG

10 years back here the The Honorable Milton Wright tells us that the 'Like A Rolling Stone track was actually called something else...
"The Rollin River Song" but.... that doesn't show either

Social source share

8 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

I remember the gallop being played at Spurley Hey school / youth club all dayer Rotherham, around 77

Also used by the BBC on a few programmes, so it must have been on grapevine.

However I did own a copy of IBTY on the yellow satiron and always thought it could not have been an original as I only paid a few Bob for it.

Probably dropped a bo*ll*k there if in fact this thread is true.....sold it cheap as well..

Still somebody has got my copy....

What a moody tune. Awesome played loud in a big hall..

Ed

it's not your copy now if you sold it !!!!

played at 'nighters well before 77 mate when instrumentals were popular

Social source share

11 hours ago, Dean Carr said:

Milton Wright BMI.JPG

its called the rolling river song..like a rolling stone was an error

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!