September Jones 45s French Sensation

re these two 45s the finest to hit the Northern Soul scene in decades?

being a Pied Piper junkie..I think so.

Two sensational UNISSUED tracks backed with her classics inside a unique picture sleeve.

disc 1. Give me all of your love c/w I'm Coming Home

disc 2. I'm With You c/w/ No More Love

Inside a picture sleeve, the back cover lists the session date and all the session musicians and backing group (The Andantes), and backing singers (Herbie Williams etc.)

This is at present, PROMO ONLY I only have a handful which the company let me have on the understanding they only went to DJs only. Call me if you need to snag a copy.

01664 464526

John.

post-4298-1151586945.jpg

post-4298-1151587042.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Any idea when us semi-retired DJ types will be able to buy these tracks, John?

TONY

The company are very nervous of it being bootlegged. That is why they gave me exclusive on the distribution of the few promos, as you can understand.

But we have found 20% of them are OFF-CENTER making the good copies even more desirable.

Tony give me a call if you need a copy I'll run the price etc. by you.

Social source share

Disc 2. I'm With You.......is just about perfect.

New uptempo rare soul.......I'm well happy.

Col.

Disc 2. I'm With You.......is just about perfect

I'm with you on that one,

when I first heard "I'm With You" the hair on the back of my neck stood up, not an experience I get too often these days. Just about perfect, is my opinion too..

All 4 were recorded on the same day, what a session that must have been. Pied Piper has always ruled for me as by far and away the finest production team. Their productions never touched on pop, which Motown sometimes did.

Anyhow, it's great to see someone press and present four killer tracks in such a proffessional manner and press them on TWO discs as apposed to a four track EP which are "murder" to DJ with.

Social source share

Guest BIGBOY

Very definitely regular Dome spins for Flynny. Both sounded great played out.

And you can here them at the Polish Club Sheffield tonight along with a few other exclusives.

Get down and rock - NORTHERN SOUL AT ITS FINEST.

John Vincent :huh::huh::P:P

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

re these two 45s the finest to hit the Northern Soul scene in decades?

being a Pied Piper junkie..I think so.

Two sensational UNISSUED tracks backed with her classics inside a unique picture sleeve.

disc 1. Give me all of your love c/w I'm Coming Home

disc 2. I'm With You c/w/ No More Love

Inside a picture sleeve, the back cover lists the session date and all the session musicians and backing group (The Andantes), and backing singers (Herbie Williams etc.)

This is at present, PROMO ONLY I only have a handful which the company let me have on the understanding they only went to DJs only. Call me if you need to snag a copy.

01664 464526

John.

...you'd have to be a right mug not to want one of these....

TONY :huh:

Social source share

Not the voice ... but 'I'm with you' reminds me of Mikki Farrow 'Could it Be' ... like this one best.

Both Pied Piper productions .

This is a must for Detroit collectors :thumbsup:

Nice one JM

Social source share

It was the same with the Pied Piper outtakes that kent put out - most were good but not as good as the ones that actually did get released, except for You Only Live Twice.

Ooh It Hurts Me- Cavaliers

What's That On Your Finger Kenny Carter

Putting My Heart Under Lock And Key Sharon Scott

I'm Not Afraid, Sharon Scott

My Imagination The Metros

She'll Be Leaving You Willie Kendrick

Gambler's Blues Nancy Wilcox

Come on, use a bit of objectivity here.

Social source share

Well you can call me a mug :yes:

:thumbsup: Me too ! Iv'e looked at this a few times today & each time i say to myself don't comment, you'll get a slating. But i just can't help myself, They sound crap to me ! No sorry that is too strong a word. They sound Average to me, & 20 or 30 years ago probably wouldn't have got a second playing. There is a newness sound about them to me, almost as if they were mastered in Ian Levines bedroom a couple of weeks back !

Any chance of someone coming up with a Tin Hat smiley, I need one desperatly !! :yes:

Edited by B-side-B
Social source share

The company are very nervous of it being bootlegged. That is why they gave me exclusive on the distribution of the few promos, as you can understand.

But we have found 20% of them are OFF-CENTER making the good copies even more desirable.

Tony give me a call if you need a copy I'll run the price etc. by you.

Might be me getting hold of the wrong end of the stick but don't record companys make discs like this for promotion reasons so should they not be free?

It even says on a lot of demo's "not for re-sale"

Social source share

Might be me getting hold of the wrong end of the stick but don't record companys make discs like this for promotion reasons so should they not be free?

Totally agree with you, I think all Grapevine promo's should be free and not £20.

and Carl Willinghams's collection which is 95% "promo not for sale" should be free also.

Unfortunately Cunnie these did not come to me FREE I had to pay for them. Which I'm quite willing to do 'cause the proffessionalism in the sleeve, labels and sound quality are absolutely first rate.

Free Northern soul records? now there's a thought!

Social source share

Dont be so silly Mart, its so you can stick an extra 75% on the asking price :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ooh It Hurts Me- Cavaliers

What's That On Your Finger Kenny Carter

Putting My Heart Under Lock And Key Sharon Scott

I'm Not Afraid, Sharon Scott

My Imagination The Metros

She'll Be Leaving You Willie Kendrick

Gambler's Blues Nancy Wilcox

Come on, use a bit of objectivity here.

Like I said, none of those are better than tracks released on those actual artists - Change Your Ways, Since I Found My baby, Could It Be You, etc - didn't say they were bad, just no better than what actually came out

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Out of interest John has anyone called for a copy and said "I'm a DJ" and you've said "No you're not, sling yer hook"?

:thumbsup:

And if not, can I have one?

:yes:

Social source share

Totally agree with you, I think all Grapevine promo's should be free and not £20.

and Carl Willinghams's collection which is 95% "promo not for sale" should be free also.

Unfortunately Cunnie these did not come to me FREE I had to pay for them. Which I'm quite willing to do 'cause the proffessionalism in the sleeve, labels and sound quality are absolutely first rate.

Free Northern soul records? now there's a thought!

Hope you don't think this was a dig at you John.

Just don't think record company's should be selling demo's to promote there product.

Example for you, A friend of mine called Coxy owns a record shop in Sheffield called Cool Wax that sell new release dance & House music. He also runs a very successfull night in Sheffield called Hustle that plays new release dance music.

Every day he gets reps coming in leaving him 12" demo's for free to play in the shop & at his night to promote the release (if it's good enough).

A classic example of this was last years release of "That's What Love Does" by Vincent Montana. Coxy played this & thought it was more suited to our scene & gave me his demo which got played at our Modernism nights & it went massive on the Modern scene & even crossed over onto the Northern scene. Coxy sold quite a few copies of the record to customers who would not normally gone near his shop in a million years & it even got a full UK release on Defected records. I'm not trying to take the credit for this records success as it would have gone massive anyway.

Probably going to get ripped to bits for this but the Grapevine demo's are nothing more than a scam to rip folks off IMO, stick a different label on them & charge the punters double under the pretence they will be collectors items in the future.

Do the artists receive double money for the sale of these so called demo's? i think not.

Regarding Carl's demo's that you are selling, of course i'm not suggesting you give them away as they are rare collectors items & may i commend you on the honourable job you are doing in selling them.

Point i'm trying to make though is that when these 30-40 year old demo's were 1st made did the record companys sell them? Of course they didn't so why are people doing it now?

Mart...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...I'd like to add that I was more than happy to buy one off John at the price he was asking - which, I might add, was but a mere fraction of what it would cost to get a US (or Canadian!) Kapp September Jones, and with the bonus of some quality unissued material as a deal sweetener....

This is value for money and then some, as far as I'm concerned - especially as I don't think that I'd ever want to pay the usual asking price for an original SJ...

SATISFIED OF TOLWORTH :thumbsup:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

These and the Grapevine demos aren't really promotional copies as far as I can see, they are a promotional gimmick to sell more copies of the promo, if something is limited then more people want it. Like if there were 100 copies of this and only two were pressed on blue vinyl, those two would be more collectable than the black vinyl ones. If they were real promos they would be given away to people who would play them out and drum up more interest. Or of course to people like myself who could play them to anyone who rang and tell them it's a must buy item :thumbsup:

Social source share

Like I said, none of those are better than tracks released on those actual artists - Change Your Ways, Since I Found My baby, Could It Be You, etc - didn't say they were bad, just no better than what actually came out

I'd differ on KC, SS, NW and the Cavaliers, which are better than the releases and say the others were on a par. I just worry that your attitude to Kent is a bit like Levine's Sidecar and you're missing out on a lot of good soul. You rightly picked me up on various title misprints on the label over the years but they were a tiny proportion and there's a lot of terrific stuff been issued. Out of interest do any of the tracks or comps please you in any way?

Social source share

I'd differ on KC, SS, NW and the Cavaliers, which are better than the releases and say the others were on a par. I just worry that your attitude to Kent is a bit like Levine's Sidecar and you're missing out on a lot of good soul. You rightly picked me up on various title misprints on the label over the years but they were a tiny proportion and there's a lot of terrific stuff been issued. Out of interest do any of the tracks or comps please you in any way?

Whoah hold it there mister C. I've bought more Kent product than any other label and I still buy them now (when I can't blag them). I must have most of the cd releases. I'm just going through my mates Kent lp's now doing a few compilations for the car (mine have all gone). I enjoy 90% of them, the only one I've thought really poor and have a problem with was Dave Hamilton volume 3. All filler. So apart from that, got no problem, never had a problem, but the RCA compilations - great as they were - I thought were held together by the inclusion of the already established tracks.

It was a serious question about the titles by the way.

Social source share

1. Might be me getting hold of the wrong end of the stick but don't record companys make discs like this for promotion reasons so should they not be free?

Done this one allready on another new 45,this argument doesnt work anymore :yes:

They should say for DJs only"not for sale to civilians"wanna`be DJs need not apply :thumbsup:

:yes:

Social source share

Whoah hold it there mister C. I've bought more Kent product than any other label and I still buy them now (when I can't blag them). I must have most of the cd releases. I'm just going through my mates Kent lp's now doing a few compilations for the car (mine have all gone). I enjoy 90% of them, the only one I've thought really poor and have a problem with was Dave Hamilton volume 3. All filler. So apart from that, got no problem, never had a problem, but the RCA compilations - great as they were - I thought were held together by the inclusion of the already established tracks.

It was a serious question about the titles by the way.

I apologise unreservedly then, two bits of perceived criticism in one day tipped me over the edge. I still can't agree on the RCAs, Sharon Scott's unreleased sides in particular are awesome; smebody please find her!

"Dave Ham 3" I really enjoyed, I think the Barbees, The Additions, Little Anns, the OC Tolberts, James Lately, Tobi Lark, Tokays and even Chico & Buddy though it's a bit funky are all corkers. Probably the couple of 80s tracks put you off, but give it another try and jump the tracks you can't stand.

PS Apologies to September for nicking her thread!

Social source share

I apologise unreservedly then, two bits of perceived criticism in one day tipped me over the edge. I still can't agree on the RCAs, Sharon Scott's unreleased sides in particular are awesome; smebody please find her!

"Dave Ham 3" I really enjoyed, I think the Barbees, The Additions, Little Anns, the OC Tolberts, James Lately, Tobi Lark, Tokays and even Chico & Buddy though it's a bit funky are all corkers. Probably the couple of 80s tracks put you off, but give it another try and jump the tracks you can't stand.

Apology unreservedly accepted :thumbsup:

Sorry I wasn't keen on that take of Little Ann (sorry) and the instrumental version still hasn't appeared I don't think. I promise I will listen to it again. The booklet was great though!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!