The Capitol Soul Club-The End Of An Era

Mike

• Replies 84
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sad news. I know I haven't been since the anniversary last year (nothing personal - haven't been anywhere at all since!!) but I had some cracking nights there. Great seedy venue! Music policy when I was going was top drawer. Great atmosphere. A classic venue.

Damn, I've had some belting nights out there and got into all sorts of scrapes. I lost all my wages out of my back pocket last time I was on. Hopefully there was a very drunken tramp who found it.

The long bar was a great feature and the music was never intrusive for us deaf old blokes. I was once chatting to a friend near the gents toilets and the ceiling started snowing down on us.

The music was always great, something for everyone and it was an eclectic social mix.

Well done to all concerned for entertaining us so well for so long.

Excluding the very, very end, I thoroughly enjoyed my time promoting the Dome.

Met some great soulies along the way, had some fantastic times, great Birthdays and a consider it a chunk of life that I won't forget in a hurry.

Even to me it sounds strange hearing 'last Dome'......

Thanks to all who made it good during my era.

Cheers

Matt Jahans

Excluding the very, very end, I thoroughly enjoyed my time promoting the Dome.

Met some great soulies along the way, had some fantastic times, great Birthdays and a consider it a chunk of life that I won't forget in a hurry.

Even to me it sounds strange hearing 'last Dome'......

Thanks to all who made it good during my era.

Cheers

Matt Jahans

link

Matt, I remember when you lot persuaded me to come to the Dome when I was having a really bad time, I drove up with Janine, and you and Dave were so pleased to see me and actually thanked ME for coming...unbelievable...I remember meeting Maria there and thinking she was German for some reason.

Always thought you were a bit of a gay stalker type though :rolleyes:

Matt, I remember when you lot persuaded me to come to the Dome when I was having a really bad time, I drove up with Janine, and you and Dave were so pleased to see me and actually thanked ME for coming...unbelievable...I remember meeting Maria there and thinking she was German for some reason.

Always thought you were a bit of a gay stalker type though  :rolleyes:

link

StoneIsland, what's your name ? Can't guess who you are at the moment whistling.gif

Cheers

Matt

Guest in town Mikey

greg asked me to post this for him:

As i have no involvement with the Northern Scene anymore i've asked mikey to

copy this over to SS.

Would like first to say a BIG thank you to everyone (the members) who

attended the Capitol Soul Club.

You made the club what it was by showing respect for new/old sounds and the

people around you, i thank you for that.

I would like to say Thank You to Mike Hughes/Soul Source who backed the Club

and its ideals from the very early days @ Bar Shoredich onto The Dome.

Without Mikes help i don't think the club would of attracted so many people

from outside of the London Area, plus he's lovely wife always made me laugh

in the cloakroom (she be always busy doing her knitting.... bless! lol).

Alan and I never thought back in 1999 we would create a club that would

become so important to the music scene we love.

I suppose everything has to come to end and its going out on top, so i'll

say well done to my long standing mate and co founder Alan and congrats to

all my fellow DJ's for playing some outstanding records over the years.

BIG shout going out to Dave Flynn and Carl Fortnum.....top collectors and

most importantly good friends.

Didn't we have a nice time

Greg.

Thanks to all involved for such great times over the years

Still looking for a soul nite that comes anywhere close to it

Sue passes on thanks and  best wishes to all for future as well

Mike

link

I can't quote to much on the Dome as I have only been there a handful of times, for what I experienced, great venue, very friendly people, excellent sounds, as well as obscure. What more can you ask for?

Hope to make the anniversary with the EMACS.

Cheers Billy

Very sorry to hear this, CSC was the 1st club I went to (at Shoreditch) on my return after a 15 year break & realised just what I had been

missing so thanks for that!

Absolutely tremendous nights at the Dome, Great obscurities mixed in with some more well known stuff, ideal mix for me & lots of mates there. Never liked getting home at 5am though after 2 night buses & sailing miles past my stop ;-)

Hats off to the Capitol Soul Club, always enjoyed my ventures into that wonderful club, brilliant atmosphere, great music, even my girl went with me to this blinding venue, it will be missed.

Sorry to hear about the end of the Dome. Only went the once a couple of years back but will always remember it as a top nite (and weekend away) Always sad when a club ends, especially a well attented and respected one, but chin up the scene still thrives out there.

All the best

Andy

Sorry, Al and I have been on holidy so just catching up with tyhe zillions of posts... what did the CSC news release actually say ? ( original link is down at present)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stuart T

Anyone info on line up for last one??

link

Ady Croasdell and Kenny Burrell as guests I think? I guess Karl and Mick, don't know whether Alan is doing it, but I'd imagine so.

Guest Chris Waterman

Well Mick H is down to DJ at both Dome and Lowton :P   :D Will give him a call tomorrow if I remember  :D

link

Just been talking to Mick H and he has not been asked to do Lowton so he will be in London on the 26th

Regards

Chris W

Guest CapitolSC

The line up for the last Capitol is Carl Fortnum, Mick H and Alan too.

Guest DJ's Kenny Burrell and Ady Croasdell.

Also TOP man himself Kenny Burrell has compiled the free CD for the night!

And what a great CD it is too!!

Cheers S x

Edited by CapitolSC
Guest in town Mikey

Cripes kolla. It has been a while hasnt it? I think Mary-ann (sp?) does the door for Alan now.

I think Sharnya has lived North of the Border for a few years now.

I have a couple of unused membership cards in my drawer here at work. If you want to PM me, I can post them up to you.

Mike

Guest in town Mikey

Lucy is on the door for the night.

I'm in London.

No membership will be needed.

Cheers

Sx :P

link

DOH !! Of course its Lucy. Sorry.

Sharnya how long have you been back?

Sharnya,

I can't find my membership. As it's the last one - do I need one, and if so, where do I send my details to ?

link

Hi Kolla

I'm coming down and I'm sure that I have a box of a few thousand unused membership cards somewhere :D

Be good to see you Sharyna, long time no see

Cheers

Matt

make sure that you check that the place is not bugged !!!!!!!!

we would not want any of your  sounds reaching the ears of the folk who dont attend , do we ?

link

If this is NOT a wind-up and indeed this really is THEEE Gavin then please take your whining and complaining else where. Soul Source is a happy place :wicked:

If this is NOT a wind-up and indeed this really is THEEE Gavin then please take your whining and complaining else where.  Soul Source is a happy place :wicked:

link

soul source is a happy place, unlike the dome. which is a sad place becuase it is closing for one reason only, it does not make money !!!!!!! it is poorley attended,

the spin is greater than the event,

and you think i am the bad guy , wake up and smell the coffee !!!!!!!!!

Guest Stuart T

soul source is a happy place, unlike the dome. which is a sad place becuase it is closing for one reason only, it does not make money !!!!!!!  it is poorley attended,

the spin is greater than the event,

and you think i am the bad guy , wake up and smell the coffee !!!!!!!!!

link

And where did you glean this little gem of information from? I was never aware that the intention was to make a profit. Unlike The Rocket, where your mates fucked up good and proper. The CSC at least achieved something.

You're a clueless twat Gavin, why don't you run along now and play with your fat bootlegging mate in Acton? Or have his new comics got words too long for you to understand in them?

I won't mistake coffee for bullshit.

And where did you glean this little gem of information from?  I was never aware that the intention was to make a profit.  Unlike The Rocket, where your mates fucked up good and proper.  The CSC at least achieved something.

You're a clueless twat Gavin, why don't you run along now and play with your fat bootlegging mate in Acton?  Or have his new comics got words too long for you to understand in them?

I won't mistake coffee for bullshit.

link

you must be bigger mugs than i thought then, to run a venue at a lost for 5 years,

i am glad i dont keep that sort of company.

you must be bigger mugs than i thought then, to run a venue at a lost for 5 years,

i am glad i dont keep that sort of company.

link

get you fact right, the rocket failed for the same reason as the dome, low numbers,

but the rocket failed when we needed 600 to break even, unlike other london venues where that is 3 times the normal capicity of thier venues, the last rocket had 540 people , so it failed. and the lesson that was learnt was that northern soul in london on a large scale does not work and will never work.

wake up and smell the coffee

get you fact right, the rocket failed for the same reason as the dome, low numbers,

but the rocket failed when we needed 600 to break even, unlike other london venues where that is 3 times the normal capicity of thier venues, the last rocket had 540 people , so it failed. and the lesson that was learnt was that northern soul in london on a large scale does not work and will never work.

link

the dome failed not becuase of the place, DJs, or music policy, but becuase northern soul in london does not work on a large scale.

Guest Stuart T

link

Mugs? You don't understand that some people might be running a venue for the love of the music? I don't believe it made a loss, but never generated much of a profit either, as far as I know.

Crossfire is the only large London venue that survives. I was surprised, and remain surprised, at the numbers they get in. Clearly it has something right that The Rocket didn't achieve. Most people have long known that huge monthly events won't survive, so glad you've also now sussed that.

540 in at the last Rocket? :wicked:

BTW I was never a promoter at the CSC or involved in running it, some of my mates were.

Guest CapitolSC

Mugs?  You don't understand that some people might be running a venue for the love of the music?  I don't believe it made a loss, but never generated much of a profit either, as far as I know.

Crossfire is the only large London venue that survives.  I was surprised, and remain surprised, at the numbers they get in.  Clearly it has something right that The Rocket didn't achieve.  Most people have long known that huge monthly events won't survive, so glad you've also now sussed that. 

540 in at the last Rocket?  ph34r.gif

BTW I was never a promoter at the CSC or involved in running it, some of my mates were.

link

Yeah Alan H here

Capitol soul Club has had a brilliant 6 years in London.

Im stopping the club not cos im losing money which i aint but because ive got other eggs ta hatch and i wanna move on.

Its my choice ta end it and its gonna go out on a high. ph34r.gif

Ive not been able to fault the Fantastic djs or the commitmant of our members :wicked: who have always made the Capitol soul club a very special place. ph34r.gif

Gavin its not numbers that count but the quality of the punters that you attract

ive never had a problem if the tunes are hot im on the dancefloor, which is where ill be next year enjoying meself and not listening to complete twats like yaself going on and on and on lol.

IM NOT GONNA ANSWER ANYMORE RUBBISH THAT ANYONE WANTS TO PUT UP ON HERE

Ill be available at the next Dome in person if ya got a problem.

Have fun soul people

Al HXX ph34r.gif

The problem was that Ian thought he could attract more people than he really could, just because of who he was, except he forgot just how many people he had upset. He got this whole ANS list together and almost bullied all of them into saying they'd attend, I was definitely going to go and he went and had a go at me, in front of everyone on the list, which eventually led to him apologising and me not going - just because of Ian's outburst at me. I don't think there was anything wrong with the people or the dj's running it, it was just too ambitious and the place was too big. Gavin is actually a really nice guy if you meet him. First time I had a cross word with him he told me to meet him at TOS so he could kick my head in, but we're pals now :wicked:

some fair comments,

i think Gavin is a great chap, he gives another side to the story and what is wrong with that.

i dont think he was slagging of the dome , in fact he told me that he enjoyed the dome and thier was not a lot more they could do to improve thier set up, but the fact is that if the promotors where making a profit every 2 months then why fix something that is not broken, £500 every two months proift which is 50 people above break even = £6000 a year which is a nice few records or the morgage for the month, not to be sniffed at. but northern soul events in london do not pay, so why make out that they do, thats the reason why they only promote small venues and make out thier bigger than what they are.

Give the guy Gavin a break, give your opinions after you have meet him , not what he says on a internet chat list, dont be a sheep

Billy Hunt

Guest in town Mikey

Come on Billy.

He just came on here to antagonise. His posts are hardly all embracing are they.

I've met him a few times. He seemed a nice bloke, as does Ian. But you cant keep acting like they do. They court the attention. And me even putting this post in is stupid, because thats what he wants. To be talked about.

Back to the soul chat anyone?

some fair comments,

i think Gavin is a great chap, he gives another side to the story and what is wrong with that.

i dont think he was slagging of the dome , in fact he told me that he enjoyed the dome and thier was not a lot more they could do to improve thier set up, but the fact is that if the promotors where making a profit every 2 months then why fix something that is not broken,  £500 every two months proift which is 50 people above break even = £6000 a year  which is a nice few records or the morgage for the month,  not to be sniffed at. but northern soul events in london do not pay, so why make out that they do,  thats the reason why they only promote small venues and make out thier bigger than what they are.

Give the guy Gavin a break,  give your opinions after you have meet him , not what he says on a internet chat list,  dont be a sheep

Billy Hunt

link

Is Billy Hunt really Gavin? :diablo: ph34r.gif

Shane