The Capitol Soul Club-The End Of An Era

Mike

some fair comments,

i think Gavin is a great chap, he gives another side to the story and what is wrong with that.

i dont think he was slagging of the dome , in fact he told me that he enjoyed the dome and thier was not a lot more they could do to improve thier set up, but the fact is that if the promotors where making a profit every 2 months then why fix something that is not broken,  £500 every two months proift which is 50 people above break even = £6000 a year  which is a nice few records or the morgage for the month,  not to be sniffed at. but northern soul events in london do not pay, so why make out that they do,  thats the reason why they only promote small venues and make out thier bigger than what they are.

Give the guy Gavin a break,  give your opinions after you have meet him , not what he says on a internet chat list,  dont be a sheep

Billy Hunt

link

Dear 'Billy'

I guess you would think that Gavin is a great chap, seeing as you are he. A tip for the future - learn how to spell 'their' and don't confuse it with 'there' or 'they're' - or at least have the wit to use a spell checker - there's a good chap. Get back to your 'magical world' and let the grown ups chat about rare soul.

• Replies 84
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I don't think he has an agenda at all, he's just putting his point over and I don't agree with 'one law for us and another for them' rules - it looks as if it's open season on Gavin yet he isn't allowed to answer back.

It is about soul chat Kolla but these little tiffs don't half liven things up. It's only when it gets to the stage like that guy emailing me in the post I put up last night about Ebay when people should worry.

(reads new posts then carries on)

Bit strange Gavin using Billy Hunt as a pseudonym, never knew he was a Jam fan!

Guest Stuart T

thats the reason why they only promote small venues and make out thier bigger than what they are.

Give the guy Gavin a break,  give your opinions after you have meet him , not what he says on a internet chat list,  dont be a sheep

Billy Hunt

link

yes, I'm fed up by London promoters continuously lying about the size of their venues. in future I shall take a tape measure with me whenever I go out and shall post the dimensions (in both metric and imperial) for all to see. I'm trying to get a surveyor down to Vivos before our opening night there this Saturday.

Any publicity is good publicity :D

ph34r.gif

Pete

Sorry but this was a moderator decision following discussions concerning Gavin (and his reply which was posted in the news section ) a few months back.

Mike and I stand by this decision.

And just for you Stuart ... tumbleweed3.gif

yes, I'm fed up by London promoters continuously lying about the size of their venues.  in future I shall take a tape measure with me whenever I go out and shall post the dimensions (in both metric and imperial) for all to see.  I'm trying to get a surveyor down to Vivos before our opening night there this Saturday. 

Any publicity is good publicity :D

lamsey.gif

link

what's going on at ViVo's Stuart? I had a look around and this was all I could find:

Link to something going on at ViVos

:D:D:D

Guest CapitolSC

Just posted up in news/article section

Can read it here

Read Article Here

suggested that any discussion on article goes here in this thread for moment

due to site;s current format ...more later

edited : link changed

link

Hello everyone,just a quick one to say that we will be opening the doors at 90clock this friday and the guest warm up djs will be Nogsy and Jo Wallace

so remember to get there early or all those lovely Kenny Burrell cds will be gone in a puff of smoke.

Hope to see ya all there for the last ever Capitol soul club

See ya Al HX :lol:

Im sure I will upset someone with this, but hear goes!

I loved the Rocket - as there was room to dance, but I didnt like hearing about the 'backstabbing'. Paul C knows what I mean! The other problem with the Rocket is that unfortunately a lot of students attended - which would be great if they were coming for the music but they weren't. It was a big venue and was a tall order to fill.

I also loved the Dome - but unfortunately numbers dwindled over time and I admit I left only after 2 hrs last time, as it was so awful. It was the same old music and too much r n b doesnt work unless you want to attract an r n b crowd only.

I will be going to the last Dome - to pay my respects as it was a venue Randy liked - as he could prop up the bar and watch people dance at the same time!

Hope it will be well attended and a good nite to say farewell - for now. K x

Just for info added a couple of  random sessions and a bit of video up in the news/article  section seeing its the final  one

hit here

Haven't been for absolutely ages - really looking forward to tonight. We'll be there early to heckle Jo.

Can I add a quick note on Dome do's, respect to a lot of old mates for the effort (and I was at the last one), but what ever was played I couldn't hear it anyway - possibly the worst sound system in the world ever...

Check out plan b, Brixton 19th Dec for next CAN do, we will only run events with quality sound systems & DJs with a progressive rare soul/funk music approach - we will never rest on our laurels and put our money where are mouths is/are...hope soul sourcers will make it down.

Kolla - Did you get the flyer, when u have a mo?

Cheers

Paul F

Come on Billy.

He just came on here to antagonise. His posts are hardly all embracing are they.

I've met him a few times. He seemed a nice bloke, as does Ian. But you cant keep acting like they do. They court the attention. And me even putting this post in is stupid, because thats what he wants. To be talked about.

Back to the soul chat anyone?

link

================

I was at the Dome last night and was a regular from the beginning. IMO it was the most exciting and innovative soul night for years. Musically superb, and atmospherically unbelievable. The way I'll remember it......never frightened to take a chance on a new/underplayed sound. The DJ's worked the floor, and every one of them was approachable. It will rightly gain a place in the N/S hall of fame.

I also attended every rocket except one. I actually liked the venue (which I know wasn't a popular viewpoint) but personally I take each venue on it's merits. The politics of the northern scene bore me, and I make up my own mind! I was a little sad when it crashed, but in truth for the London scene to maintain a nighter that needed to attract 1000 + to survive, was IMO never viable. At the last Rocket, as I remember it, there were less than 200 people there and it was clearly destined to end, without ever truly making a mark.

Winnie:-)

Wow! what a good nite.

Have posted some photos of last nite's dome on the site.

I thought they would have come up in the 'Photos' section of the main menu,

but they are in the 'Gallery' section which is in the Soul Source Forum.

Hope you like 'em.

link

great photos,

great to hear last one was a good one

link to photos

here

site stuff:

link to slideshow

link here

changing over gallery to what should be a better, faster way - cause of change over links dont match up between front and forum , should be sorted by monday

see source news and info for details later

LOL - I remember him showing me his tattoo with pride, trouble is, I'm as blind as a bat without my goggles on so I don't know what is said :)

A great night had by all - musically uplifting and a great attendance.

What ever it was with Tim... I have no idea - but it was all above board!

More photos up HERE

Guest Johnny One Trout

================

I was at the Dome last night and was a regular from the beginning. IMO it was the most exciting and innovative soul night for years. Musically superb, and atmospherically unbelievable. The way I'll remember it......never frightened to take a chance on a new/underplayed sound. The DJ's worked the floor, and every one of them was approachable. It will rightly gain a place in the N/S hall of fame.

I also attended every rocket except one. I actually liked the venue (which I know wasn't a popular viewpoint) but personally I take each venue on it's merits. The politics of the northern scene bore me, and I make up my own mind! I was a little sad when it crashed, but in truth for the London scene to maintain a nighter that needed to attract 1000 + to survive, was IMO never viable. At the last Rocket, as I remember it, there were less than 200 people there and it was clearly destined to end, without ever truly making a mark.

Winnie:-)

link

Good to see you here Win the true test of a good night is the amount of shirts you had to change before 12 O'clock :):):(

I,m really sad that the Dome has closed , the times i,ve been have

been brilliant great music ,great crowd thats why soulies from around

the world visited the Dome....

The nite I was asked to be guest DJ July 02 will go down as one of

the best nights i,ve ever had on the Northern scene ,packer of a crowd

on a boiling hot July nite ,soulies from Italy, France Japan , Germany ,Sweden

even Robbo & his Band of Angels from the northwest ,any venue that

brings in Soulies from so far must in the words of Joan Moody

Being doing something right !!!..........

Good Luck to all the guys who have been involved in the C.S.C

from the beginning..Thanks for bringing us such wonderful Soul Nites

to remember.!!!!!!!

Love, Peace & Happiness

Ian Cunliffe

Whilst at the Dome I picked up on a rumour that it may re-open 'under new management'

Any body care to shed a little light on that........or maybe it was just a rumour!

Thanks for the free CD chaps - excellent, really appreciated.

Whist I've got the typewriter out I'll just mention that I also went to Bisley on Saturday nite.

That too was a brilliant nite. Different from the Dome, but just as good. Numbers were a little down on usual, maybe 300? A lot of people seem to think its 'just' an oldies nite - which its not. The 2 stand our sets for me were Jez Bishop who played a lot of uptempo, SOULFUL crossover & Tim Brown who played an awesome set. Think about all the records you'd like to own. Having said that he refused to play my request on the sole basis that his girl friend didn't like it!

Just a really good week-end.

Off to Moldies do in Farnborough next weekend.

2 rooms Northern & Modern.

Guest Stuart T

Can I add a quick note on Dome do's, respect to a lot of old mates for the effort (and I was at the last one), but what ever was played I couldn't hear it anyway - possibly the worst sound system in the world ever...

Check out plan b, Brixton 19th Dec for next CAN do, we will only run events with quality sound systems & DJs with a progressive rare soul/funk music approach - we will never rest on our laurels and put our money where are mouths is/are...hope soul sourcers will make it down.

link

Personally thought the sound system was fine until the end when someone pushed the levels through the roof (I blame Ady Lupton, hes got form for this sort of behaviour) and it became somewhat painful (a few people were stood in the corner with their fingers in their ears, old people can be very sensitive to excessive noise...). Otherwise I had a great time despite having turned up late from work and standing there like a lemon in a suit. Shame its over but the last one was a credit to the last 5 years. Will be sadly missed. :)

Any idea what the playlists will be like at this Brixton event - after all, I think most people go to judge the music rather than the soundsystem, and yet that seems to be your main promotional point. London's trendiest do eh, we really should take the evening Standard's advice seriously...:

"Next do is the Xmas Special 19th Decemeber at Brixton's Plan b, recently voted London's 'Trendiest' club in the Evening Standard. But remember CAN aren't looking for these venues these venues are looking for CAN!" thmbdn.gif