Better Without The Vocals

Russoul1

hi all, lately have got hold of a couple of tunes that are better as instrumentals than the vocal sides, I know we have had a thread

regards instrumentals but im thinking tunes that have vocals which don't do the backing track justice, if you get my drift......

the couple that I have in mind to start, both recent buys

audrey slo - gonna find the right boy - swan

ok yes this does have a vocal & instro but defo prefer the instru side

secondly, a tune which as a awfull vocal imo

sadly mistaken - golden earrings - marc or challenge

picked up a 66 acetate instro of this tune which if we where in the mid 70s 80s would be a dancefloor filler imo

also the flip of this acetate is a unissued instrumental which again would have been a dancefloor winner in the

instrumental hey days

have put a link to the above on post 23.for soundfiles

any other suggestions guys

russ

Edited by russoul1
Social source share

hi all, lately have got hold of a couple of tunes that are better as instrumentals than the vocal sides, I know we have had a thread

regards instrumentals but im thinking tunes that have vocals which don't do the backing track justice, if you get my drift......

the couple that I have in mind to start, both recent buys

audrey slo - gonna find the right boy - swan

ok yes this does have a vocal & instro but defo prefer the instru side

secondly, a tune which as a awfull vocal imo

sadly mistaken - golden earrings - marc or challenge

picked up a 66 acetate instro of this tune which if we where in the mid 70s 80s would be a dancefloor filler imo

also the flip of this acetate is a unissued instrumental which again would have been a dancefloor winner in the

instrumental hey days.

any other suggestions guys

russ

can you post an mp3 of the inst so we can hear/judge?

Social source share

I knew someone would ask lol, will try maybe someone can post up the youtube of sadly mistaken, then listen to the backing track.... 

I knew someone would ask lol, will try maybe someone can post up the youtube of sadly mistaken, then listen to the backing track.... 

ive heard the vocal..it would be nice to hear the inst version..

Social source share

Always prefered Sounds of Lane "Tracks To Your Mind" over Mickey Lee Lane "Hey Sah-Lo-Ney"

Never did like the vocal

Kindred spirits Dave - was going to post exactly the same thing! Never quite got my head around how the two version came about though.

Edited by Rich B
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Liberty "Girl You Better Wake Up"

Cheers Paul

The soul man in me thought no way can that be the case,   but actually all pretty good examples that cannot be argued with**, SWON  :D

** Other than Blowing My Mind, in my opinion obviously

I actually have a soft spot for the Liberty 45.  Although I realise I risk opprobrium and accusations of terrible, outdated taste, I think that if you take an objective view and disregard issues of value, rarity etc, there's not a massive difference in the singing of Liberty and say, The Anderson Brothers.

*slips on favourite tin hat*

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Always prefered Sounds of Lane "Tracks To Your Mind" over Mickey Lee Lane "Hey Sah-Lo-Ney"

Never did like the vocal

Agree! A great instrumental of a terrible rock & roll record.

Ronnie & Robin -  Sidra's Theme is is way better without the awful vocal!

Agree!  cringworthy Everly style vocals of what was and still is an iconic sound.

kev

That`s a complete John McEnroe!

:yes:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

First one that springs to my mind...

'How Can I Forget - Joey Dee & The New Starlighters'

Think the Starlighters are an early incarnation of the 'Young Rascals'..

Certainly the Young Rascals formed out of the Starliters, but I never realised until a couple of years ago that they were multi-racial which caused some problems :-)...interesting article here...https://www.toppermost.co.uk/joey-dee-starliters/

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On the whole I'm a vocal type of a guy but some good examples of better inst than vocals have already been posted.A recent one for me is the inst to The Contemplations-Alone With No Love Dontee,vocal side just doesn't get a look in with me now although it's brilliant in it's own way.

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

That's all right that Russ, nice one :thumbsup:

And thats the first time I've ever bothered to listen to the Jesse Davis instro, what a load of old crap.

hi john hope ur well, yer glad you liked sounds better of the acetate more bassy will give a spin caliente.....but to be fair maybe not one for

todays scene but as I already said back in the instrumental heyday would have gone down well imo

agree with jesse davis.....wot a load of old tosh

Social source share

https://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557

hopefully a link to soundfiles for sadly mistaken - golden earrings instro and a unissued instro

thanks dave...

https://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557

hopefully a link to soundfiles for sadly mistaken - golden earrings instro and a unissued instro

thanks dave...

two good insts..prefer the tomorrow track...

Social source share

Ronnie & Robyn is great, not as good as the inst but still great.

Breakaway Steve Karmen inst better than the vocal.

Bari Track definitely better than the vocal but the vocal is still a great record.

Would like to hear an instrumental version of The Carstairs.

i have the inst version..got it off refosoul...good but not as good as the original..

Social source share

Always play the instru.? Sometimes i worry about you Len. :lol:

:lol: .....Sometimes I worry about myself!

I'm now convinced I must have got so wrecked one night, that I had my record box the wrong way round (It has been said) :D 

.....But - play the whole record, I'm sure there's a lot more 'going on' than in the vocal........um, imagine you were wearing my ears........ :wink:

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

but Jesse Fisher without Jesse Fisher? - no brainer as kev would say!

See above post......Give it a go........imagine you were really 'dancing hard' to it at a nighter........(Let me know if you change your mind) :wink: 

......I'm still convinced - I don't normally go for instrumentals, but for some reason, this one really 'jumped out' at me.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!