Canadian Northern - Definitive List?

Newer

OK, this is getting out of hand. I am struggling to find Canadian Northern issues and the job is not being helped by:

A - a Joannie Sommers popping up on Canadian Warner Bros this week

B - just seeing an Eddie Carlton - It Will Be Done on Reo on John's auction page

Has anyone ever compiled a list of Northern classics/rareties that have come out in Canada? I do not mean things like The Toys, etc etc stuff as that has been well covered.

Please let me know what you have so I can try and get some sort of wants/catalogue list together. Pic's at your convenience.

Social source share

There is quite a few on Canadian labels.REO  SPARTON, QUALITY.Some of the harder ones like Stienways on Sparton or Ben Aitken (satisfied) on Canadian Warner Bros as apposed to Loma (makes sense Loma were owned by WB )There is a lot of Detroit releases on Quality and if I remember correctly Reo housed a lot of Motown.

Social source share

Thanks Gilly

Have most of the Motown on Reo and three lovely ruby red Canadian RicTic's. Also have a copule of the Detroit things on Quality but would love to know EXACTLY what is on the label.

I remember seeing either a web site, or details of efforts at compiling a 'catalogue' to document some of the Canadian labels - possibly just the major ones, but not uncertain on that. Listed details included matrix, artist, and titles (at least), although with disregard to any particular genre, from memory.

I'll have a scout around for any details I may have saved. If I get any joy I'll report back through this forum 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember seeing either a web site, or details of efforts at compiling a 'catalogue' to document some of the Canadian labels - possibly just the major ones, but not uncertain on that. Listed details included matrix, artist, and titles (at least), although with disregard to any particular genre, from memory.

I'll have a scout around for any details I may have saved. If I get any joy I'll report back through this forum 

There is a catalogue done by a local collector - Dave Whatmough - but it is everything and anything, pop, rock, country. It is a massive thing and just too much to plough through. It costs a pretty penny too

Edited by newer
Social source share

Few harder ones to find -

Lt Richie Just another heartache-SS7

Gloria jones-Come go with me -Capitol

Mary Saxton-Take my heart-Quality

Rubin-you've been away-Kapp

Eddie Parker-Love you baby-Stone

Thought I saw Tony Galla -listed somewhere on here on play listed titles never seen a Canadian copy of this anyone got a scan ?

Odd titles still spring up that surprize me like the one above if its correct

Social source share

Few harder ones to find -

Lt Richie Just another heartache-SS7

Gloria jones-Come go with me -Capitol

Mary Saxton-Take my heart-Quality

Rubin-you've been away-Kapp

Eddie Parker-Love you baby-Stone

Thought I saw Tony Galla -listed somewhere on here on play listed titles never seen a Canadian copy of this anyone got a scan ?

Odd titles still spring up that surprize me like the one above if its correct

Little Richie????? I did not know that!!

Yes, Roburt, lots on Epic

Social source share

Little Richie????? I did not know that!!

Yes, Roburt, lots on Epic

Lots on Epic ? what

Lt Richie- Definite Canadian SS7 copy Owned it for sometime but it wasn't mint so sold it to someone local & replaced it with the U.S copy may be I should of kept it but how many time do you say that ?

Social source share

A few more on Apex - with the equivalent US label release also listed..

Apex77001
(Challenge 59329) 
Jerry Fuller
Turn To Me 
Double Life 1966

Apex77011
(Challenge 59340) 
We The People
He Doesn't Go About It Right 
You Burn Me Up And Down 1966

Apex77037
(Dionn 500) 
Brenda and The
Tabulations
Dry Your Eyes 
The Wash 1967

Apex77048
(Dionn 501) 
Brenda and The
Tabulations
Stay Together Young Lovers 
Who's Loving You 1967

Apex77052
(Gamble 205) 
The Intruders
Together 
Up And Down The Ladder 1967

Apex77055
(Money 126) 
Bettye Swann
Make Me Yours 
I Will Not Cry 1967

Apex77058
(Soma 1465) 
The Del Counts
What Is The Reason 
With Another Guy 1967

Apex77064
(Gamble 209) 
The Intruders
Baby I'm Lonely 
A Love That's Real 1967

Apex77069 
The Cruisers
I Need You So
Take A Chance 1968

Apex77072
(Mainline 1004) 
The Dantes
Connection 
Satisfied 1968

Apex77077
(Travis 1049) 
Witness Inc.
Harlem Lady 
I Put A Spell On You 1968

Apex77079
(Aphrodesiac 260) 
Wilmer and
The Dukes
Give Me One More Chance 
Get It 1968

Apex77082
(Vivid 105) 
Barbara Greene
Young Boy 
I Should Have Treated You Right 1968

Apex77095
(Arctic 147) 
The Ambassadors
I Really Love You
I Can't Believe You Love Me 1969

Apex77096
(Aphrodesiac 261) 
Wilmer and
The Dukes
I'm Free 
Heavy Time 1969

Apex77104
(Aphrodesiac 262) 
Wilmer and
The Dukes
Living In The U.S.A. 
Count On Me 1969
Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Thanks Gilly

Have most of the Motown on Reo and three lovely ruby red Canadian RicTic's. Also have a copule of the Detroit things on Quality but would love to know EXACTLY what is on the label.

This one has just found Its way Into my collection. RT-130

RIC-TIC_RT-130-A_CANADA.jpgRIC-TIC_RT-130-B_CANADA.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...

linda griner. Goodbye cruel love. Canadian tamla. Steve.

Naturally!  All Canadian Motown releases came out on Tamla, before Canadian Tamla-Motown started.  Motown cuts that were being released on US Motown or Gordy were released on Canadian Tamla with an M code or G code preceding the Canadian catalogue number.  Tamla received a T-code.  If I remember correctly, there are several Canadian major labels and a few minor Canadian labels having a label discography on Flynny's "Soulful Kinda Music" website.

Quality, Apex, Sparton, Regency and REO all had quite a few Soul records released on them, as did the Majors' Canadian affiliates.  I've never heard of any compilation of Canadian Soul Music label discographies.  That would be a nice thing to have.  But, I believe it needs to be compiled by a few Canadians.  I, myself, have no time to contribute to such an undertaking, and in any case, have traded off the greater portion of my Canadian Soul records, because of having good quality US issues of those same releases. 

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!