Jimmy Burns - I Really Love You

Steve L

Thats roughly what I would have said, the reason I'm asking is I just heard someone on an internet radio show claim it was played at Va Va's.

Late 70s was my prime time and JB was big then, would have been surprised to find it was played earlier but stranger things have been known :huh:

Social source share

Guest United Sound

Thought it would have been sometime in 78 as I recall Sam playing it at a Coalville Tiffs nighter, and they finished in Aug 78

Edited by United Sound
Social source share

Tim I heard this at Wigan and I stopped going before Sam dj'd there, I think Richard might have played it because Alan Rhodes played Brand New Faces 100% sure of that.  

Don't dispute any of that Pete, as I bow to your knowledge, however, I know I had this on a mail order Manship tape and was familiar with it before it was ever got played at Wigan (regularly at least) and Sam was spinning on the East Coast at that very time according current playlists in the back of Black Echoes. Although it may have got a one off spin or something before that at Wigan but not by Dickie.

Social source share

Don't dispute any of that Pete, as I bow to your knowledge, however, I know I had this on a mail order Manship tape and was familiar with it before it was ever got played at Wigan (regularly at least) and Sam was spinning on the East Coast at that very time according current playlists in the back of Black Echoes. Although it may have got a one off spin or something before that at Wigan but not by Dickie.

I'll see if I can come up with any audio evidence!

What I was saying about Brand New Faces is that Alan only played it because of the connection to the Jimmy Burns record.  Maybe it was Alan who played Jimmy Burns as well.  Paul C will know.

Social source share

I'll see if I can come up with any audio evidence!

What I was saying about Brand New Faces is that Alan only played it because of the connection to the Jimmy Burns record.  Maybe it was Alan who played Jimmy Burns as well.  Paul C will know.

Be interested to know mate, but I do remember when it first got 'regular' spins at Wigan, and it had been around a fair while on the east coast by then I'm fairly sure of that. Also heard Sam play it at Llandudno Pier niter before it was regular at Wigan too, although my memory is shot, so might not be an accurate statement, but don't think so.

Social source share

Be interested to know mate, but I do remember when it first got 'regular' spins at Wigan, and it had been around a fair while on the east coast by then I'm fairly sure of that. Also heard Sam play it at Llandudno Pier niter before it was regular at Wigan too, although my memory is shot, so might not be an accurate statement, but don't think so.

I never went to any East Coast things at all so I have no idea, never went to Cleethorpes or St Ives, never went down South to Yate, had all I wanted at Wigan and couldn't stand the thought of missing a week!  

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I never went to any East Coast things at all so I have no idea, never went to Cleethorpes or St Ives, never went down South to Yate, had all I wanted at Wigan and couldn't stand the thought of missing a week!  

Mostly same here Pete.

Me and two mates had a competition going with each other, who would be the first to miss a Saturday night, I went 21 consecutive Saturdays without missing one, had to go on a family holiday in the end, so I missed one, was gutted about that I can tell you.

Always followed the playlists in the 'East' when I could though fanzines and Black Echoes, especially SS.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thats roughly what I would have said, the reason I'm asking is I just heard someone on an internet radio show claim it was played at Va Va's.

Late 70s was my prime time and JB was big then, would have been surprised to find it was played earlier but stranger things have been known :huh:

I have read a lot of people rewriting history lately. 

Probably someone will have heard it in the Twisted Wheel in 1969!!! 

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

mark bicknell at keele in the 80s .......

he deffo made it bigger again, but for me it was the first time I heard it  !   

AMAZING

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

someone mentioned the john henley, was this played anywhere before 1972, as im am sure i heard it at a local dance in carlisle............. stanley, can you help. tom or dave foster at the kings

Social source share

Thanks for all the input.

So this is another case of a record being around for a few years before becoming known to the majority of people.

Maybe the guy who claimed it was played at Va Va was right? Cant discount it completely but I don't think Ian Levine DJ'd there did he? 

Social source share

I agree with Arthur, Sam got it along with Johhnny Hampton and some other stuff when Levine sold-up - As far as I remember he first spun them at a Rose Room Tuesday night session in Burnley sometime in 78' (he's just come from Ian's house)   

Edited by jkw
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!