7 And A Half Grand! Am I Missing Something Here

Liamgp

Vince you put what you want on it! Because prices mean nothing these days a £5 record can be a £100 record just because someone says so.

You will get some bright spark listing fats for 2K and the person selling will say IT was listed on Ebay for £7.5K :lol:

I keep using this as an example! Irma routen was a rare MGM number that for years sold for £150 so just because IL and maybe  afew others says its the bees knees its now £750 ! The record price scene is Shot to pieces IMO

I couldn't agree more! I will say this though, money can't buy advertising like this, the Fats 45 has now had 424 page views which will mean that potential buyers will be looking at my other stuff :thumbup: I think that i may make a typo on purpose next time :wicked:

Social source share

Vince you put what you want on it! Because prices mean nothing these days a £5 record can be a £100 record just because someone says so.

You will get some bright spark listing fats for 2K and the person selling will say IT was listed on Ebay for £7.5K :lol:

I keep using this as an example! Irma routen was a rare MGM number that for years sold for £150 so just because IL and maybe  afew others says its the bees knees its now £750 ! The record price scene is Shot to pieces IMO

What I find interesting is how many after that Irma Routen? 10, 20, maybe 50 worldwide? you'd think they'd be a copy out there for everyone who wanted one really, at a decent price! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

well Ive bid on one of your records Vince!

I couldn't agree more! I will say this though, money can't buy advertising like this, the Fats 45 has now had 424 page views which will mean that potential buyers will be looking at my other stuff :thumbup: I think that i may make a typo on purpose next time :wicked:

WEll Ive bid on one of your records Vince! Anymore Rock albums for sale?

Another example of what I was saying - The matta baby - pretty rare but not that much in demand except for nostalgics like me! Think Pete S has had about 3 copies - Ive had 4 in my life! Its been around the £100 to £150 mark tops! Tim brown decides for some unknown reason to make it an auction piece starting at £400 and now everyone & his dog thinks its a £400 record! The Plot has been lost!

Social source share

well Ive bid on one of your records Vince!

WEll Ive bid on one of your records Vince! Anymore Rock albums for sale?

Another example of what I was saying - The matta baby - pretty rare but not that much in demand except for nostalgics like me! Think Pete S has had about 3 copies - Ive had 4 in my life! Its been around the £100 to £150 mark tops! Tim brown decides for some unknown reason to make it an auction piece starting at £400 and now everyone & his dog thinks its a £400 record! The Plot has been lost!

I've got 100s of rock albums but i'm trying to put them out bit by bit as it may put potential soulies off if my pages if they're full of rock! i may be putting some lots on tonight, keep an eye :thumbsup:

Social source share

Without wanting to get into a debate and this is just an observation, isn't that exactly how a market works, isn't this how all expensive records get there value, because as you say someone says xyz about a tune and brings it to the attention of others, then it gets exposure, then it gets demand on it and then the whole market ramps up.

The price rise's then it levels out, just a question and not dig at all Steve but by what measure do you put a value of £150 on Irma how do you arrive at that being the right price? or if that's not the right price how would go about valuing the Irma Routen 45, if you had a copy for sale today what would you ask for it set sale?

I think for the record (pardon the pun) Irma is a very hard 45 and worth a lot more than £150 if you consider that Ruby Andrews & Jo Ann Garrett regulary fetch that sort of money along with countless others which again are not rare but follow the same example of demand being the greatest factor.

Rare in demand records soar in value that's a fact we all have to live with it, it will never disappear.

So in a nut shell what I'm saying is I think Irma Routen is not a good example, I would use Irma as an example of a sleeper 45 which has been brought to the attention of the masses and increased in value significantly, just my opinion

Cheers Darren

Edited by BROWNIE
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Without wanting to get into a debate and this is just an observation, isn't that exactly how a market works, isn't this how all expensive records get there value, because as you say someone says xyz about a tune and brings it to the attention of others, then it gets exposure, then it gets demand on it and then the whole market ramps up.

The price rise's then it levels out, just a question and not dig at all Steve but by what measure do you put a value of £150 on Irma how do you arrive at that being the right price? or if that's not the right price how would go about valuing the Irma Routen 45, if you had a copy for sale today what would you ask for it set sale?

I think for the record (pardon the pun) Irma is a very hard 45 and worth a lot more than £150 if you consider that Ruby Andrews & Jo Ann Garrett regulary fetch that sort of money along with countless others which again are not rare but follow the same example of demand being the greatest factor.

Rare in demand records soar in value that's a fact we all have to live with it, it will never disappear.

So in a nut shell what I'm saying is I think Irma Routen is not a good example, I would use Irma as an example of a sleeper 45 which has been brought to the attention of the masses and increased in value significantly, just my opinion

Cheers Darren

Its just rubbish - price hiking with little or no empirical evidence to support it!

IR was known for years between collectors dealer DJs etc - An average record but difficult to find as a MGM number with the rarest probably being Chinatown by the Move. as I said most peple were pricing this 2-3 years ago based on rarity at around £100-150 and had been that price for years ! Then all of a sudden it jumps 5 fold ! ON What basis is their a justification for that to happen?  The price scene to me has lost the plot and it seems that its based on sheer speculative behaviour. Would it be acceptable for a £30 record eg Marion James - Im the woman for you to be increased in price just because Butch or Sam start to play it abroad  and a couple of Dealers knowing this decide to Increase the price and value of said £30 average priced record to £500? Its bloody rubbish!

I may be wrong (And apologies If I am) someone on here a dealer once bought a record off me in a swap(Prince Ellis) with avalue of £25 and within 2 weeks  had it advertised for £200 because people on here were saying its quite a hard one to get! So they valued it at £25 one day and 14 days later it was £200! Its just b*llocks! I still dont think its worth more than £50 tops because its quite rare! So how did the person hike the price from £25 to £200 - sheer speculation!

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

It's you that's talking b*llocks my friend. Just because a record is known about by a few chin strokers,who have been about forever, and can recite the credits of every record that was issued in the U.S.A. doesn't mean it has to remain the same price forever more.

In the real world, people are looking for something different to play out. And here I have to say that the majority of these "new to the dance floor" records aren't very good in the great scheme of things. But once they get some attention, these records will always go up in value as others "have to have a copy" it's the way it's always been.

Availability x Demand = Value

And if Butch plays it x 10.

Edited by pikeys dog
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

it's not very often tim's wrong on a value.....whereas he does make the occasional typo as well ( he is only human, afterall :D ) e.g couple of years ago we were at the mill on a friday afternoon and i pulled out from a front desk sales box ( the following weeks list ) a copy of "you've got to steal it"...played it,...ummed and aahed...put it back...price? £25. same day..GONE!. phoned him during the week and he told me he had almost 50 calls for it...why?....it should've been listed at £250...he honoured the deal and wrote it off as a slight abberation :( and i had it in me little mits.....felt like a twit or what? :facepalm:  :dash2:

Social source share

It's you that's talking b*llocks my friend. Just because a record is known about by a few chin strokers,who have been about forever, and can recite the credits of every record that was issued in the U.S.A. doesn't mean it has to remain the same price forever more.

In the real world, people are looking for something different to play out. And here I have to say that the majority of these "new to the dance floor" records aren't very good in the great scheme of things. But once they get some attention, these records will always go up in value as others "have to have a copy" it's the way it's always been.

So does that mean that thre Snake could be a £500 record because its in demand and no-one wants to sell their copy - Get Real! Its  my opinion only but prices on records dont hike 5 fold in a short space of time - Thats my point! Its a false economy created by specualtive behaviour! I never said that prices dont go up!

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

That's a ridiculous analogy, there's a world of difference between the snake and Irma Routen.

The example that Agentsmith has posted is a good one. That record was cheap and easily available because no bugger wanted it until Mr. Dobson played it.

The finest example I have ever witnessed, was one night at Burnley, Fred Krol pulled Billy Davis - Stanky Get Funky out of his box and gave it a spin. F**k me! You should have seen the children of the night running up to the stage to see what it was. Now this was a record that was available from every record dealer for a tenner, until the day after the allnighter. You could not find a copy anywhere, because I tried hoping to make a few quid out of it. But I was too late.

I rest my case.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 years later...
On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2014 at 20:19, Quinvy said:

The Irma Routen has risen its ugly head again this time for just under $1k. You said I was talking Bollocks but you only selected part of my statement- How do I know Chinatown by The Move was probably the rarest number on the label. Wheres my evidence? Its an indemand record by Most 70s rock collectors. I sold my copy to a shop here in the UK. Availiabilty X demand does not = value it only equals "point price" Value of an item is historical empirical evidence backed up by provenance! Out of Irma Routen & The Move, The Move is the only one with provenance! ASK Roy Wood!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!