70S Pirate Land Based Soul Stations

Sceneman

this seems to be an undocumented topic forgotten by time.

broadcasting illegally from high rise towers around London suburbs when they used the power in the lift motor rooms which were entered with cloned keys .broadcasting the classics on certain times in the evenings .  some like kiss went on to become legal .

an old pal of mine was busted on numerous occasions with transmitting equipment which was confiscated time and again as they ran down the stairs at a south London tower block .

any info to share and anecdotes on this topic ?

were they broadcasting elsewhere around the country ?

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guilty your honour,   :(

Run Solid Soul Radio

pirate station from Conisbrough South Yorks, then renamed CBS. (Conisbrough Broadcasting Services)

Had a run in with the DTI

became costly and too time consuming for two of us to run.   :thumbsup:  

Social source share

this seems to be an undocumented topic forgotten by time.

broadcasting illegally from high rise towers around London suburbs when they used the power in the lift motor rooms which were entered with cloned keys .broadcasting the classics on certain times in the evenings .  some like kiss went on to become legal .

an old pal of mine was busted on numerous occasions with transmitting equipment which was confiscated time and again as they ran down the stairs at a south London tower block .

any info to share and anecdotes on this topic ?

were they broadcasting elsewhere around the country ?

How spooky is this ?

Just been googling to try find if anyone had logged our old station, back on here to find this post.  :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah I sort of remember listening to Solid Soul back in the day - tho' I must admit, my favourite pirate of the time was a comedy station called Radio Veronica (probably best known for the Bradford Ph@rting Contest sketch) - northern content, they often played Andre Brasseur "The Kid"

Forgot another name we run under, DVR (dearne valley radio) 104.9FM

all 3 stations we run played 99% soul   :thumbsup:

Used to listen to Veronica from Bradford, Stephen & Christine.

Nemesis from Clowne

Rebel Radio, Rotherham

Ocean Sound, Rotherham

Was one from Leeds on most nights, name escapes me at the moment.   :g:

Social source share

I used to listen to a few of those South Yorkshire stations - early 90's I think?

I forget the names now, but seem to recall they were a bit hit and miss as in you never quite knew when they would be transmitting.

Nemesis from Clowne - wasn't that Neil Page? I seem to remember hearing he was involved, but don't think I ever heard it.

I remember hearing a lot of the rare groove things played on one station, but I was thinking it was a Sheffield based one?

Social source share

Skyline Radio 94.2FM in Wolverhampton broadcast during the 80s & 90s from one of 3 tower blocks near where I lived. Played mainly Reggae, but some soul, R&B, Hip Hop, Old Skool etc. They did dive into my flat on a couple of occasions while trying to dodge the police / ofcom enforcement / the Council, and ended up setting up in the bedroom with all manner of stuff hanging out of the back windows...

Still going along with Irie FM and Frontline until recently. Got most of their equipment confiscated in 2010

WD3745239@PIRATE-RADIO-EMA.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!