The Theo-Coff Invasion Lucky Day

Guest gaz thomas

Guest gaz thomas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCjFwTxJAng

Digging away before christmas, I saw this 45 on the dearborn label
Apart from silky Hargraves 45, I have never seen or heard anything from this label

I like this 45, Its a nice uplifting piece
Its an atmospheric mid tempo instumental, but with that traditional northern soul flavour
really pleasant record, the production is crisp and so detroit it could have a ford logo

if you see it buy it, it will make you happy

questions !

been played? where?  who by? when?
i think its a classy tune, and not one I ever heard when I was out

I love soul instrumentals at 5 0 clock in the morning !

link to soulful Detroit - Ref Dearborn

Social source share

Definite Yate and Wigan spin late 70's, favourite of mine at the time...can't remember it being covered up though, and Flynny doesn't show it on his comprehensive listing?

I checked there as well  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well known in the early/mid 70's....one for the Detroit completists.

It's been around for decades and even used to feature on club ads "come and hear sounds like"..........

A bit pedestrian for the time compared to G. Davis & R. Tyler, Bari Track, Double Cookin', Rhino, Black Ship To Hell........

More Hot 'n' Heavy All Stars on Arc Lark than Frankie Loveman Crocker on Turbo! IMHO.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Theodore / Coffey - same people who produced The Decisions - I Can't Forget About You? Presumably Dennis Coffey legendary Motown guitarist.

It is, there used to be a great thread on the Soulful Detroit forum where they talk about their many productions and this record in particular if I remember. Not sure if that forums is still around, if it is I suspect you would love some of the musicians contributions on there.

Social source share

Definite Yate and Wigan spin late 70's, favourite of mine at the time...can't remember it being covered up though, and Flynny doesn't show it on his comprehensive listing?

Maybe not, I may be getting confused with Peter Hamilton on Jamies, as I always remember Searling playing that covered up as Clouds after the Edinburgh all nighter at Wigan, maybe by then it wasn't Searling as I do remember both actually being played at Clouds, and unlikely for Searling to play two instrumentals in those days, this was 80/81 so maybe moved on by then/

As Chalky says Brady was playing it at least occasionally at Stafford, so it had some legs.

One of those dreamy type instrumentals that shouldn't really work but did, and very well. Good memories.

Social source share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCjFwTxJAng

Digging away before christmas, I saw this 45 on the dearborn label
Apart from silky Hargraves 45, I have never seen or heard anything from this label

I like this 45, Its a nice uplifting piece
Its an atmospheric mid tempo instumental, but with that traditional northern soul flavour
really pleasant record, the production is crisp and so detroit it could have a ford logo

if you see it buy it, it will make you happy

questions !

been played? where?  who by? when?
i think its a classy tune, and not one I ever heard when I was out

I love soul instrumentals at 5 0 clock in the morning !

link to soulful Detroit - Ref Dearborn

Whoops just seen this link to SDF, so assume it still exists, somewhere on here is a whole Coffey/Theodore thread where they discuss this.

Social source share

Is there a vocal to this ?

On the thread I mention there, sure there is reference to a female vocal that was never released.

Can't do an external search here as work sedates the hamsters so heavily it would take about 5 hours to return!  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On the thread I mention there, sure there is reference to a female vocal that was never released.

Can't do an external search here as work sedates the hamsters so heavily it would take about 5 hours to return!

I found a topic on there were he says there was/is a vocal version, doesn't mention male or female and that he will ask Mike Theodore when he sees him.

There is another topic with both answering conversations but no mention of this track yet.

Social source share

It is, there used to be a great thread on the Soulful Detroit forum where they talk about their many productions and this record in particular if I remember. Not sure if that forums is still around, if it is I suspect you would love some of the musicians contributions on there.

Thanks Jocko I'll take a look.

Social source share

I always associate it with Mr.Thorley at Yate as well...I liked it so much I even bought it as a stock copy at the time...looked so odd in amongst all the WDs!

Never seen a cover name for it...but you never know!

Social source share

I found a topic on there were he says there was/is a vocal version, doesn't mention male or female and that he will ask Mike Theodore when he sees him.

There is another topic with both answering conversations but no mention of this track yet.

I've got a soundfile of the vocal version somewhere...female led as I recall, but alas it is far from being a Northern Soul performance.

The only other decent Soul track I've had on the label (apart from Silky.H) as most seem to be Polka style, is Lonnette's "Mind Intruder", which has a tremendous backing track, but the vocal production makes it more Pop...quick mention for the flipside, " Dnim Redurtni" (yes backwards!) which would also make a great instrumental, but alas has some occasional backwards playing vocal lines...big shame they didn't leave the vocals off (both sides).

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

I always associate it with Mr.Thorley at Yate as well...I liked it so much I even bought it as a stock copy at the time...looked so odd in amongst all the WDs!

Never seen a cover name for it...but you never know!

Mine's an issue too David. Quite a bit rarer than the demo I reckon and a thing of beauty - even in the clashing company sleeve.

Social source share

Mine's an issue too David. Quite a bit rarer than the demo I reckon and a thing of beauty - even in the clashing company sleeve.

Never fear, I got to replace it with a WD sooner rather than later :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mike Theodore says there's definitely a vocal, although it was never released, Dennis Coffey remembers it too but doesn't have any kind of recording of it.

Sorry Chalky, just seen your earlier post with that information.

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas
Sorry its been a few days but had a big birthday weekend (not mine) and football today

thanks fo all the replys guys!

I get the vibe with this 45  (that rhymes if you say it fast)

So it was played before my time of being out on the scene it appears.
And not a massive hit then !!!

although it sounds familiar to me I knew I didnt know it if you get me?
But i knew it  would have been picked up at some point in time as it has that great great northern soul feel

My years of going out were probably 85 to early 90s
Collecting is a different thing, but those are the years that put the seeds in for me.
I would have remembered this 45 if it had been pushed at that time, 

but I somehow ended up with a copy recently, and I have really enjoyed listening to it loud.

Note to Flynny
I was not being rude when i didnt get right back to your post to ref. Johnny Copeland on jetstream the other week
i meant to pm you to thank you, great 45
it was just a copy was on ebay on the local suave  label on ebay, and i didnt want to make a sound
cheap with very light surface wear, just how i like em, (5 dollars)
coming to see about you !
cheers flynny, brilliant record
Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Yes, Soulful Detroit Forum still exists, but Ron Murphy, Joe Hunter, The Count and other members from the industry have died, other artists and producers and arrangers and songwriters have left, too ill or busy to post (Bob Babbitt, Clay McMurray), and others, like Bobby Eli have left to go elsewhere.   Dennis Coffey, Spyder Turner, and a few others still post once in a while.

Social source share

I was not being rude when i didnt get right back to your post to ref. Johnny Copeland on jetstream the other week

i meant to pm you to thank you, great 45

it was just a copy was on ebay on the local suave label on ebay, and i didnt want to make a sound

cheap with very light surface wear, just how i like em, (5 dollars)

coming to see about you !

cheers flynny, brilliant record

No worries at all...glad you like/found it...superb tuneage! I recall the sound reproduction was slightly better on Jetstream, but not a lot in it and nothing to lose sleep over!

:)

Social source share

Mike Theodore says there's definitely a vocal, although it was never released, Dennis Coffey remembers it too but doesn't have any kind of recording of it.

As stated earlier, I have a soundfile of the vocal version...alas it isn't going to set the (Northern) world on fire!

EDIT:

Found it...but alas it is as weak as I initially recalled :facepalm:

It is not by the NuPeople...that version remains lost, but my notes state that Theo-Coff auditioned several girls using this track/lyric also called, 'Lucky Day' :hatsoff2:

Edited by Flynny
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

really pleased there's a thread on this most unlikely of instrumentals to be classed amongst the very best on the northern scene. it's detroit and in the hands of coffey & theodore, oozes class. i have a mint issue in the original company sleeve which is also eye catching but it's what's in the groove that counts and i can't but help reaffirm my preferred phrase for this tune....had there ever been a 60's tv serial from the states to bear this name, it would have been "the american avengers"...maybe they would have auditioned jack lord to play steed's part!....either way it sounds like it could've been destined for something bigger and a vocal certainly would have given it extra emphasis...shame that the one that does exist is not up to dave's or our exacting standards.....think i'll give this a spin at prestatyn :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!