What's It Like At The Winding Wheel

Soulstu

So, I'll be going on 5th April.

However this is a BIG DEAL for me. My last northern night was in 1980! I've been practising my dancing on the kitchen tiles. Hope the dancing hasn't changed too much as mine is straight out of the late 70s!

Anyway if anybody has been it would be good to know what it's like - is it a good place to go to ease myself back on the scene?

Just in case you want to tap me on the shouder and say hello I'll be wearing a tight yellow vest with brown piping and patches, a pair of very wide Spencers with a beer towel stitched to the waistband and a pair of polyveldts.  :wink:

Seriously tho - is it worth going? - not all mid tempo stuff and smoothy modern is it?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Its pretty popular from what I hear.  I haven't been, been left Chesterfield for getting on 6 years now but I'm told by mates from town it is in the main oldies, probably largely what was being played the last time you went to a soul night.  Not sure who the DJ's are on the night but I'm sure you would enjoy it, its probably the best venue I've ever been in.

Social source share

Its heaving.  Some good Djs , classic oldies, some big niter sounds (depending who is spinning) and a motown type room upstairs.  A lovely building with the loudest PA system at any soul event ive been to

you should enjoy it, lots of tunes youll remember 

Great - sounds like a good place to start out. I've been to the 'Wheel (!) before but not on a northern night. Soul nights transform regular buildings into something else, something magical.

Thanks for the heads up.

Social source share

So, I'll be going on 5th April.

However this is a BIG DEAL for me. My last northern night was in 1980! I've been practising my dancing on the kitchen tiles. Hope the dancing hasn't changed too much as mine is straight out of the late 70s!

Anyway if anybody has been it would be good to know what it's like - is it a good place to go to ease myself back on the scene?

Just in case you want to tap me on the shouder and say hello I'll be wearing a tight yellow vest with brown piping and patches, a pair of very wide Spencers with a beer towel stitched to the waistband and a pair of polyveldts.  :wink:

Seriously tho - is it worth going? - not all mid tempo stuff and smoothy modern is it?

If you haven't been to a venue for so long you'll enjoy it and you won't look too out of place dressed like that, plenty still do :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The venue is amazing, we all had such high hopes after Stafford closed that it would be the one. Shame the music policy now doesn't reflect the ethos that the original nighters had. 

but for a bit if nostalgia you'll have a ball 

Social source share

Like others have said the building is Awesome, it has a very good dancefloor and gets very busy

Personally I love it, Some very good dancers are normally there with Carl Piper and his mates

There is a second Motown room which plays some good music but you might have to dodge a few handbags

Social source share

SoulStu,

It seems that you have got some decent feedback on this event.

In future you can get the gist of the quality of an event by searching Lookbacks, or by asking questions direct on the event posting.

Locking this topic now as All About The Soul isn't really the place for it.

Have a good one.

Social source share