Songs That Really Pull At Your Heart Strings . . .

Guest MBarrett

• Replies 555
  • Views 33.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest kev such

George Smith "I've had it".  For me this song epitomises SOUL music. You can hear the pain in his voice, well I can anyway.

And thanks to Coops, Johnnie Taylors "Poor make believer". Had to get a copy for Karen after she heard Mick play it in one of his spots a few years ago. She crys everytime I play it at home for her.

Kev

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

This is quite light-weight and poppy but for me Cal's voice turns it into something else.

Her voice and body language are saying "whatever" but you know inside she's screaming!!

When I think of one relationship break up - where to keep my dignity I had to put on a brave face - this punches me in the solar plexis, send shivers down my arms and tears into the corner of my eyes. :ohmy:

(a nice review by Steve over on Motown Junkies: https://motownjunkies.co.uk/2012/09/14/528/ )

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

A couple that bring out my soppy side and at certain times have been known to put a tear down my cheek

Maurice Jackson - Don't Stop Saying You Love Me

Curtis Mayfield - The Makings Of You

Social source share

this old heart of mine

what difference does it make

just one last look -  (tempts)

I would rather go blind 

no one takes the place of you

I miss you

when a man loves a woman

I got to find a new baby

wobbly lip now - need to go and get my game uptight

pete

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

No matter how well known or how many times they've been covered I always come back to these two original powerhouses of soul music.

"Change Is Gonna Come" just makes me shudder

James Carr - "Dark End Of The Street"   .... soul perfection

https://youtu.be/VR6BkppSGNc

Social source share

Nice one Pete. :thumbsup:

Like quite a lot of Freddie Scott's stuff ... so underated by too many

Yeah I'm surprised how many people don't know "Where does love go", I put it on a podcast a couple of years back and loads of people asked after it.

Well three or four did.  It is great though.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

No matter how well known or how many times they've been covered I always come back to these two original powerhouses of soul music.

"Change Is Gonna Come" just makes me shudder

James Carr - "Dark End Of The Street"   .... soul perfection

https://youtu.be/VR6BkppSGNc

My favourite record of all time .

Social source share

The theme from Joe 90.

It brings so many emotions, anger, sadness, disbelief, the yearning for what could have been, if only....                                                               :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

oh and 

lovely 

Coldest Days of My Life - Chi-Lites

Great to see 2 mentions for the Chi-Lites.

Some may say a bit Middle of the Road.

Not me.

Brilliant. :thumbup:

Social source share

Walter Jackson - It's An Uphill Climb To The Bottom

Aretha - One Step Ahead / Don't Let Me Lose This Dream

Clydie King - Missin' My Baby

Dee Dee Sharp - I Really Love You

Timi Yuro - It'll Never Be Over For Me   (Still get goose pimples listening to this after all these years)

Rose Royce - Love Don't Live Here Anymore

Barbara Mcnair - Steal Away 

Theme From Robinson Crusoe '60's TV programme

Social source share

Herman Lewis. Kissing you tonight. Tony Clarke. Wrong man. Dorothy Moore. Misty blue. Gerri Grainger. I go to pieces.  Betty levette. Let me down easy.  Tony Middleton. Paris blues.                                                                                                                                                                                  Steve    

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

Great thread, love stuff like this...

Lorraine Rudolph - After All I've Been Through For You.

Margie Joseph - Never Can You Be, just brilliant.. above are my top two deepies, well pretty much..

Mary Love - Baby I'll Come, initially on the Kent LP of course in the 8ts, but when Mary sang the extended song at Kent records anniversary, Liza and me were in Heaven!!

Larry Williams & ATS Express - Doing the Best You Can with What you Got, LUSH production!! and DEEP!!

Randy Brown - I Was Blessed The Day I Found You,  Utter Heaven this!!!! both versions

Millie Jackson - If Loving You is Wrong, I Don't Want to Be Right... pretty new to me, but it stirs something strong..

Rhonda Davis - Long Walk on a Short Pier, forever Alex in Melbourne's track, she used to play it on a Radio show we co hosted in Sydney, absolute tugging here..

Carla Thomas - I've Fallen in Love with You - Big old TUG!!! and again...Lol

Booker T Jones - The Best Of You, just brilliant track, lazy, perfect lounge back track... good place to be..

Darrow Fletcher - (Love Is My) Secret Weapon, the TUNE in our Car... made better after hearing Darrow sing it live...

Eddie Floyd - Big Bird, ROCK & ROLL Baby, That Intro cant be beaten...

cheers

Malcolm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tsVr5B0P4A

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert