Songs That Really Pull At Your Heart Strings . . .

Guest MBarrett

• Replies 555
  • Views 33.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest CARL D

Definately Faye Crawford! Also, for me, Peggy March-Losin My Touch. Little Anthony+the Imperials-Call Me The Joker+Better Use Your Head+I'm On The Outside Lookin In. Gene Chandler-Bet You Never Thought+The Girl Don't Care. Billy Stewart-I Do Love You. Otis Redding-I've Been Loving You Too Long. Young Holt-California Montage

clyde mcphatter-two lonely people

faye crawford-what have i done wrong

...these two literally crush me with their soul,i will always be in debt to staffords top of the world nighters for exposing me to these heart wrenchers,im filling up just typing this !

jason

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

Stuck at home the wife is ill, should be out and about, so I'm in my record room playing some sounds.

just a few that get to me - Magnificent Men - Peace Of Mind - Pat Thomas - Long Long Night - Jo Ann Garrett - Stay By My Side - Stairsteps - The Touch Of You.

Just love em.!!

Cheers Jim.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Just wonderful Kev. Think today is gonna be another Carnival & Manhattans day for me. Love this on Deluxe as well

Lovely 1.30 min intro then just sublime.

One Life To Live

"Baby I'm Sorry"

Got all 4 Carnival CDs...can't believe this is not included...or am I missing it? Great tune

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Curtis Blandon  In the long run   plus many many more but this one came straight to mind   "Hey girl did you think my heart was made of stone  !you knew it would break when you left me all alone.

Remember my heart hurts to like yours is going to do

In the long run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PHOO KET  thinking of such a soulful choon has put me in all nighter mode already as it only wednesday roll on saturday  as the memory of tune lyrics and context  resonates through me like the first rush of .....ahem. This is an oldie I have a great liking for and it certainly pulls at my heart strings.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Too many but a few obvious ones off the top of my head. And maybe there obvious because they are so fukcing awesome!

Apologies if they've been mentioned before but I cant see the Youtube clips at work for those that have no title against them.

Shirley Brown - This love

Soul Children - What's happening baby

J Blackfoot - I stood on the sidewalk and cried

Anita Baker - Will you be mine

Soul Children - Poem on the schoolhouse door

Millie Jackson - I stll love you (you still love me)

Tavares - Let me heal the bruises

Tower of Power - Just when we start making it

And about a zillion others that make it all worthwhile.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Another marvellous ballad from one of the best vocalists ever

David Ruffin-You ought to know me

Kev

He could have a thread of his own, Kev.

Always had a real soft spot for "Statute of a fool"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Bought ship ahoy when it came out got hammered on the "music centre" along with the temp's 1990 and the isley's 2+2

all 3 still stand head and shoulders........they don't make 'em like that anymore 

Same here I also bought the O jays "Ship Ahoy",when the album came out and loved it  a  superb record.

There are   so many records that were made by the king of soul as far as I am concrned "Cutis Mayfield", songs  that pull at your heart strings but also in doing so activate within you a tremendous feeling over the injustice done to and still being done to some in this world he made  so many my self for one  aware of political issues with his music .Curtis on the other hand as well as the wider politcal could also pull like a barsteward on heart strings when singing of the emotions and feelings that pass between lovers ,brothers and friends the whole range of being human and having a spirit and a soul God bless him r.i.p Curtis the king and the wonderful gift he left us  of his work both by himself with the impressions of course and with others,the man was  a true giant of not just soul but of all music.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Can't believe Walter Jackson has had no mention. "It's an uphill climb to the bottom", And a record I bought as a new release as a fledgeling Soulboy, probably the first REAL Soul record I bought. "The Dramatics. "Hey You, Get off my mountain".

Social source share

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, Bruv said:

:g: I do hope I don't here this when the wife finally leaves me....Roy Hamilton - The Panic Is On  :thumbsup: :hatsoff2:

Good shout,Bruv....couldn't pick an all time fave,but this would be in my top ten...also

Ernie Johnson, "cant stand the pain"

Roy Hamilton, "you can count on me"

Timi Yuro, "insult to injury"

Etta James, "I'd rather go blind"

Jimmy Wallace, "I'll be back"

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Jimmy Disco D said:

Never heard that version mate, beautiful. I'm sure no one would agree with me but my favourite is actually the Ramsey Lewis cover, I am more of a funk and jazz man though. :shhh:

Nah, no one will agree with you on that one...

its all great music though init :-) 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Mal C said:

Sorry folks, frankly it would be rudeness not to mention both sides of one of Margie Joseph's. Volt 45's.... 

putting never can it be first, as it has the edge, both sublime but then you know that :-)

A good rule of thumb is that it's impossible to own too many Margie Joseph records....

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

" . . . Honey I saw you there last night

Another man's arms holding you tight

Nobody knows what I feel inside

All I know I walked away and cried . . . "

Aaaaaaargh!!!

Social source share

Guest son of stan

This one:

Not a particular Beach Boys fan... But think about this: Brian Wilson was a 23 year old bloke when he created this record. Twenty fucking three. Awesome! 

(...and btw, of course this is fucking soul!)

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!