Songs That Really Pull At Your Heart Strings . . .

Guest MBarrett

• Replies 555
  • Views 33.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Backdrop

Great thread this

... Introduced me a few great sounds i'd never heard ... A few I'd forgotten about ..and a few I'd heard .. But never been arsed to look up the titles... Brilliant

Social source share

One for all of us?  if you dont ROCK inside when the organ kicks.... Don't Look Now!!!  

Just to qualify Burts AC, I dont think Heart strings are just about intense slow meaningful tracks, it can full on madness as well..when you respond with the Heart, and not the Head, your authentic 'self' appears, the ego disappears, instantly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXt-YP8vewQ

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Ann Peebles

"Won't You Try Me"  ... don't be fooled by the uptempo intro

and the wonderful "It Was Jealousy" and for those that have never heard it check out the Otis Clay cut as well ... both great

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Great thread, love stuff like this...

Lorraine Rudolph - After All I've Been Through For You.

Margie Joseph - Never Can You Be, just brilliant.. above are my top two deepies, well pretty much..

Mary Love - Baby I'll Come, initially on the Kent LP of course in the 8ts, but when Mary sang the extended song at Kent records anniversary, Liza and me were in Heaven!!

Larry Williams & ATS Express - Doing the Best You Can with What you Got, LUSH production!! and DEEP!!

Randy Brown - I Was Blessed The Day I Found You,  Utter Heaven this!!!! both versions

Millie Jackson - If Loving You is Wrong, I Don't Want to Be Right... pretty new to me, but it stirs something strong..

Rhonda Davis - Long Walk on a Short Pier, forever Alex in Melbourne's track, she used to play it on a Radio show we co hosted in Sydney, absolute tugging here..

Carla Thomas - I've Fallen in Love with You - Big old TUG!!! and again...Lol

Booker T Jones - The Best Of You, just brilliant track, lazy, perfect lounge back track... good place to be..

Darrow Fletcher - (Love Is My) Secret Weapon, the TUNE in our Car... made better after hearing Darrow sing it live...

Eddie Floyd - Big Bird, ROCK & ROLL Baby, That Intro cant be beaten...

cheers

Malcolm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tsVr5B0P4A

Mal, re Millie Jackson and being new to you.

Does this mean you've 'discovered' Caught Up and Still Caught Up?

As good as it gets as far as I'm concerned.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mal, re Millie Jackson and being new to you.

Does this mean you've 'discovered' Caught Up and Still Caught Up?

As good as it gets as far as I'm concerned.

got the Kent double CD when it came out, lots of slowies on there, had one or two LP's & House for sale, but the slower stuff  was new to me.. I really like  'A Child of God' and 'All the Way Lover... whats great is her 45's are very cheap, but oh so good...

'Caught Up' ok so from the LP of the same name right? I need to check that out... its a shame I was at a record Fair in Paramatta / Sydney some years ago, and got offered all her LP's every one for 50 Aud.. I just took 'Hurts so Bad' for the Ace Spectrum cover... damm fool..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKR330Yht-Q

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

got the Kent double CD when it came out, lots of slowies on there, had one or two LP's & House for sale, but the slower stuff  was new to me.. I really like  'A Child of God' and 'All the Way Lover... whats great is her 45's are very cheap, but oh so good...

'Caught Up' ok so from the LP of the same name right? I need to check that out... its a shame I was at a record Fair in Paramatta / Sydney some years ago, and got offered all her LP's every one for 50 Aud.. I just took 'Hurts so Bad' for the Ace Spectrum cover... damm fool..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKR330Yht-Q

Unfortunately not the full album in the clip as it's missing the last two tracks "I'm Through Trying To Prove My Love To You" and "Summer (The First Time)"

All her early albums are wonderful. "Caught Up" and "Still Caught Up" are essential soul music and that's not just my opinion

Listening to the odd track here and there is no good, the only way to really listen to them is from the beginning to the end, on your own with no distractions

Millie's take of Womacks "I'm Through Trying To Prove My Love To You" from Caught Up

https://youtu.be/3EffQg4WX48

I can feel another Millie J evening coming on   :)

Social source share

One for all of us?  if you dont ROCK inside when the organ kicks.... Don't Look Now!!!  

Just to qualify Burts AC, I dont think Heart strings are just about intense slow meaningful tracks, it can full on madness as well..when you respond with the Heart, and not the Head, your authentic 'self' appears, the ego disappears, instantly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXt-YP8vewQ

I know what you mean but compared to most of the records on this thread...

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Oh my goodness. Mike Kirkland and the boys.

Love Kirkland's voice mate. Really, really like others as well such as Together, Baby I Need Your Loving, Give It To Me, Victim of Circumstance, Shopping For Love, Blota Blota

They all do it for me   :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Hope you don't mind Dave but this immediately sprung to mind , got the LP in Mabo Market for about 50p lol !

JAY BLACKFOOT - TAXI

Love it !

P.s. I'ts about the right speed for me to dance to now  :yes:

Mabbo Market  .......... bastard  :D

Social source share

This is an awesome thread, so many brilliant records that really show that Soul Source isn't just about OVO  northern oldies v's upfront funky killers v's baggy beer towels etc, blah to the blah. Some utterly devastating headphone tunes that need to be savoured in the right way. Keep 'em coming folks.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

This is an awesome thread, so many brilliant records that really show that Soul Source isn't just about OVO  northern oldies v's upfront funky killers v's baggy beer towels etc, blah to the blah. Some utterly devastating headphone tunes that need to be savoured in the right way. Keep 'em coming folks.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert