Record Selling In The 1960S

Zanetti

moin,

I really wanted to know about the prices of  "OUR RARE" 45s in the 1960s. 

Did they all have the same price ... ? Or was there already a margin from maybe 0,99$ to maybe 99$

Today we got a Lester Tipton on LaBeat for more than $$$$, but when someone got the f*****g chance to grab it in the late 1960s - what had been the price? Got someone an idea ?

Maybe someone is out there who got an scan of the Original Prices in the 1960s from stores in Chicago, Detroit ...

It would be really great to get a view on this way in the "vinyl-past"

Thx

Zanetti

Social source share

In the mid to late 60s U.S. Records stores put out Auction lists of deleted 45's so the price could vary but nothing more than a dollar or so in the main, DJ's and collectors bought from these but not in quantities.

If you were  just buying bulk from some of the bigger dealers  the prices were usually the same just 5 or 10c because the demand wasn't there.

Later on in the early 70 the prices for deleted stock was much the same one price.

However in the UK prices of imports varied on record lists from the late 60s onwards.

UK released 45's once deleted prices would rise with demand probably from the mid 60's onwards.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

In the mid to late 60s U.S. Records stores put out Auction lists of deleted 45's so the price could vary but nothing more than a dollar or so in the main, DJ's and collectors bought from these but not in quantities.

If you were  just buying bulk from some of the bigger dealers  the prices were usually the same just 5 or 10c because the demand wasn't there.

Later on in the early 70 the prices for deleted stock was much the same one price.

However in the UK prices of imports varied on record lists from the late 60s onwards.

UK released 45's once deleted prices would rise with demand probably from the mid 60's onwards.

o.k. i think i understand ...

Am i right so far - could it be possible to see more than five Eddie Parker´s or Little Nicky Soul´s in one Store for one dollar ...

or were those Records in the past already rare like nowadays ?

*Sorry for my bad "school-english"  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The rare stuff is only really rare because it didn't sell / make the Charts because it was up against more Commercial records which got Airplay and became Hits.

No Artist /Record Company made records in 5s & 10s to become rare in 10/20/30 years time.!

They made them to MAKE MONEY & GET FAME !

Luckily for us, some survived and found their way to the DJs in the UK.

As stated before many many times on SS a minimum run would be around 500 copies !

Rob

Social source share

moin,

I really wanted to know about the prices of  "OUR RARE" 45s in the 1960s. 

Did they all have the same price ... ? Or was there already a margin from maybe 0,99$ to maybe 99$

Today we got a Lester Tipton on LaBeat for more than $$$$, but when someone got the f*****g chance to grab it in the late 1960s - what had been the price? Got someone an idea ?

Maybe someone is out there who got an scan of the Original Prices in the 1960s from stores in Chicago, Detroit ...

It would be really great to get a view on this way in the "vinyl-past"

Thx

Zanetti

Social source share

depends on when in the 60s and where .certainly all black singers say times were hard in the late 60s and early 70s because they were out of fashion when the flower power era came along and r&B and soul was a dirty word .prices crashed thru the floor as nobody wanted them . my mates used to ridicule me for  keeping my soul collection as they were all into the flower power pop stuff .there were boxes of dj copies on sale at Portobello road market stalls for a pittance .

soul records issued at that time sold few hence thats why you see the things like the timi yuro 'it'll never be over for me' at very high price as it was issued in 69 .

but hey she was blue eyed soul !

Social source share

In the late 60's I used to buy 45's from a big warehouse based seller in the New York area who bought up unsold stock for next to nothing.

He sent out monthly lists (about 20 pages per list) that detailed artist & song title for 1000's of 45's. 

Hits and 45's by known artists or on known labels (Motown , etc) would be listed at 50c, 25c or less (think some were in a 'any 8 for a dollar' section.

Shipping to the UK was about as much as the records themselves but they always had loads of great 2/3 year old titles going cheap.

.... HOWEVER .... the best buy was a tea-chest full of soul 45's for some ridiculous sum that worked out at about 2c per 45. You couldn't pick what was put into your chest but it was the 45's on unknown labels by unknown artists that made up the bulk of the stuff (i.e. the stuff that turned out to be rare years later).    

It was like a giant 'soul pack' direct from the guys who got hold of the stock direct from indie soul labels that had no idea how to get their stuff distributed properly & into US shops. 

I guess these sort of warehouses were the ones hit by UK dealers looking for NS gems in the 70's.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

its hard to believe that the music scene became so polarised in the late 60s but thats what happened ,all to do with style and fashion i guess ,big shirt collars and flared trousers and velvet jackets ,afghan coats  .

people were all into Sergent Peppers and wilder stuff than  what was seen as boring soul and R&B .

to admit you had R&B and soul records would mean being treated like a leper at that time ,so you had to keep quiet about it .

Edited by sceneman
Social source share

In the late 60's I used to buy 45's from a big warehouse based seller in the New York area who bought up unsold stock for next to nothing.

He sent out monthly lists (about 20 pages per list) that detailed artist & song title for 1000's of 45's. 

That's how I used to buy all my 45's in the very early 70's.......used to get a list through the post and paid for them all with the old postal orders from the post office. Don't suppose some of you younger soulies on here will even know what a postal order is!!  :D  Showing my age now....lol  :lol:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

New 45s in the 1960s sold, generally from $0.69 through $1.00.  After a few months of little or no sales, they were placed in 50¢, 3 for a Dollar or 4 for a Dollar bins, along with DJ copies.  After a while there, not selling, they went to 10 for a Dollar bins.  Other sources were Woolworth's Walgreen's 10¢ sales, and thrift and junk stores, where they might go for anywhere from 5 to 25¢ each.  There were the warehouse sellers, who might sell large stocks that couldn't be "cherry picked", but might have hundreds of valuable gems among a lot of worthless records, and the overall lots could average from 2-5¢ per 45.

Often, in thrift stores, I'd throw a large bunch of 45s (R&B and Soul) into a box and offer, say $5.00, and get them for an average of 5 to 7 cents.  The Thrift store people were happy to get anything for them.  They were surprised anyone would want them.  I used to pay from 25¢ to 50¢ for LPs.  I couldn't afford to pay even $1 for a big volume of LPs .  I reserved paying that price only for records I wanted really badly, and knew might not be found for lower prices.

"I couldn't afford to pay even $1 for a big volume of LPs". Clearly money was short back in them days...

post-976-0-42975800-1393310301_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!