Heaven (Soul Heaven) Does It Exist...?

Soulcool

Shout it out loud... "I'M SOULFULL AND PROUD" ..where is your Soul.....where is your heaven.....Mine is strolling through the 5 rooms at the Southport Weekender (when it was still at Southport) and hitting every room when its was peaking, just magic..also the Leeds Central Soul Club (now the Hi-Fi Club) carefully walking down the stairs in the darkness,stepping into the club and then being smashed by a soulbeat wall of sound, its small its compact its great,,,,, HELL ( I mean HEAVEN)  they could be playing jingles from an ice cream van and you would still have a good time.....Did you pray today and thank the lord above... where is your SOUL HEAVEN OF GOOD TIMES... ps solar radio ain't half bad either.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My little piece of heaven was walking into my first ever Notts Palais all-dayer, wide eyed, heart pounding and seeing for the first time a proper soul venue - a heaving dance floor giving it some to Quick Change Artist. Deafening, sweltering and effing brilliant! A defining moment in my life - no going back.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Winter and Summer 1970.First the Twisted Wheel,watching Junior Walker in a  bright orange,polyester suit ,from about 6ft.away,steam through a brilliant set.Then in August of that year spending a week in Rhyl (strange as that may now seem) going to the Palace,afternoon and evening,dancing to the tunes of the day. Whilst this may not seem to be particularly exciting written down here,the best word I can use to describe it is 'euphoric'.

Social source share

Winter and Summer 1970.First the Twisted Wheel,watching Junior Walker in a  bright orange,polyester suit ,from about 6ft.away,steam through a brilliant set.Then in August of that year spending a week in Rhyl (strange as that may now seem) going to the Palace,afternoon and evening,dancing to the tunes of the day. Whilst this may not seem to be particularly exciting written down here,the best word I can use to describe it is 'euphoric'.

I know it was the 70's, but didn't you feel a little bit self conscious dressed in a bright orange polyester suit.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

My little piece of heaven was walking into my first ever Notts Palais all-dayer, wide eyed, heart pounding and seeing for the first time a proper soul venue - a heaving dance floor giving it some to Quick Change Artist. Deafening, sweltering and effing brilliant! A defining moment in my life - no going back.

SoulStu, That happened to me that way to me too, I'm with you all the way, definately no going back, always going forward, keep on.

Social source share

Notts palais alldayer again but downstairs in Bali Hi (ajazz-funkin)

Coalville Tiffs (My first allnighter) 

Bretby modern room, Albrighton MR, Winsford MR,

But for me it has to be the Bali Hi (ajazz-funkin) (Oh to be 16 again and know what I know now)

Oh and welcome to the site, Great intro by the way.

Social source share

Incognito, I like your name and I love the group the Bali Hai sounds like a venue I should have been to but it seems sadly I missed out, here in Leeds, we had Belinda's for the jazz funk, Was the Nottingham Palais one of the first venues to host the first of the House Music reviews, I was at the Roof Top Gardens in Wakefield, Larry Heard, Marshall Jefferson, Sweet D, Adonis wer performing for the first time in the UK, what a night that was, I did hear that the same people performed in Nottingham but I'm stiil not sure where, Keep On.

Social source share

Social source share

Crogger, nice one, you have been living your Soul Heaven a good three or four years before me congratulations and you don't look as though your stopping yet, The Twisted Wheel sounds a lengend of a place I would have liked to have experience the venue for myself, I can only go by what people have told me and I would love to hear some first hand experiences of the Twisted Wheel, the music, the place itself, the people, what went on, keep the stories coming and keep the place alive, Just a thought The Torch was a legend but I don't seem to hear much of this venue these days if anyone including yourself has any stories let me know about them, I always enjoy a good tale about a good time, Keep On.

Social source share

Do you even know whose vocals are on that? You are really quite funny, in a strange sort of way. 

I wasn't talking about any record in particular. I am just sick of people who feel the need to post endless you tube clips. 

Why do people with terrible taste insist on inflicting it on everyone else. It's the same on Facebook, every bloody post has a you tube clip.

You are strange and not funny at all.

Social source share

Thank you Soulcool, I don't have to explain my Soul Heaven thanks to your post :-). I like to refer to the 'Leeds Central' as 'Heaven Underground' and your comments have made me a very proud man.

Although I must say that first time I went to the 'Torch' it was blown away time, when the doors opened to go in and the heat, music and atmosphere combined to send a ball of pleasure big enough to knock you for six, Ah!! the memories!

Edited by Northern Soul UK
Social source share

I wasn't talking about any record in particular. I am just sick of people who feel the need to post endless you tube clips. 

Why do people with terrible taste insist on inflicting it on everyone else. It's the same on Facebook, every bloody post has a you tube clip.

You are strange and not funny at all.

And you actually see yourself as the arbiter of good taste do you? And you call me strange.

Your 30 seconds of fame and your 2.5 fans have warped your sense of reality.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

stafford top of the world,circa 1984,my personal soul heaven,after travelling all around the country every weekend (leicester,nottingham,hinckley,morecombe etc ) and listening every week to classics,rare stuff,modern etc,and enjoying it every weekend,then came the moment that changed my soul life with a huge bang,entering top of the world as a quiet,shy 17 year old expecting more of the same when sounds came out of those speakers that i never heard before ! james dochery,guitar ray,johnny gilliam,tommy navaro,sam dees,jimmy seals,the trends,bill lucas etc and a thousand more sounds that changed me completely,it was special,it was different,there werent many of us but we all got it,it was a breath of fresh air to me,clyde mcphatter-two lonely people,faye crawford-what have i done wrong,it was very underground and almost unique (to me),it was my soul heaven

jason

Social source share

And you actually see yourself as the arbiter of good taste do you? And you call me strange.

Your 30 seconds of fame and your 2.5 fans have warped your sense of reality.

I could say the same of you Jock. You have belittled so many people on here with your superior attitude, and put quite a few people I know off posting.

Social source share

Dundee Soul Club 6th anniversary DJs Keith Money Fraser Dunn Alan Patterson plus residents John Mac and Alan Malcolm. That night was just magical, not been to a night before or after that matched it. The memory that sticks with me to this day is standing in the cramped dance floor (Satchmos is a small venue) Keith Money had just played the last tune of the night and everyone was just standing there literally in a daze I remember me and my mates saying what just happened it was surreal. I knew it was going to be a good night when I arrived about 10 mins before kick off and John Mac was playing some superb deep soul :)

Play list from the night 

Edited by fifesoul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Thank you Soulcool, I don't have to explain my Soul Heaven thanks to your post :-). I like to refer to the 'Leeds Central' as 'Heaven Underground' and your comments have made me a very proud man.

Although I must say that first time I went to the 'Torch' it was blown away time, when the doors opened to go in and the heat, music and atmosphere combined to send a ball of pleasure big enough to knock you for six, Ah!! the memories!

Social source share

Northern Soul UK, no worries mate, what a venue, I remember the good 'ol days, gents only had one lav n hand wash basin, the bar was 5 x 2 feet, the transformation to date is impressive, lets not forget the glitter ball, be proud keep up the good work and the good times, Keep On.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

stafford top of the world,circa 1984,my personal soul heaven,after travelling all around the country every weekend (leicester,nottingham,hinckley,morecombe etc ) and listening every week to classics,rare stuff,modern etc,and enjoying it every weekend,then came the moment that changed my soul life with a huge bang,entering top of the world as a quiet,shy 17 year old expecting more of the same when sounds came out of those speakers that i never heard before ! james dochery,guitar ray,johnny gilliam,tommy navaro,sam dees,jimmy seals,the trends,bill lucas etc and a thousand more sounds that changed me completely,it was special,it was different,there werent many of us but we all got it,it was a breath of fresh air to me,clyde mcphatter-two lonely people,faye crawford-what have i done wrong,it was very underground and almost unique (to me),it was my soul heaven

jason

Social source share

Dundee Soul Club 6th anniversary DJs Keith Money Fraser Dunn Alan Patterson plus residents John Mac and Alan Malcolm. That night was just magical, not been to a night before or after that matched it. The memory that sticks with me to this day is standing in the cramped dance floor (Satchmos is a small venue) Keith Money had just played the last tune of the night and everyone was just standing there literally in a daze I remember me and my mates saying what just happened it was surreal. I knew it was going to be a good night when I arrived about 10 mins before kick off and John Mac was playing some superb deep soul :)

Play list from the night 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!