Spacey Male Detroit Soul

Guest HensTeeth

Guest HensTeeth

Recently I've been fascinated by the tunes brought to my attention by another thread on this site entitled 'Spacey Female Detroit Soul', to quote the post, "records that have a specific 60s female detroit sound, that sound 'airy' or 'spacey'", specifically records such as The Debonaires 'How's Your New Love Treating You', Juanita Williams 'Baby Boy', The Gambrells 'Find A Love', Lonette 'Mind Intruder', and one that doesn't get a mention there but to my mind is very 'spacey' (and also very commercial I guess, but nonetheless a great sound), "Reflections" by The Supremes.

The original 'female' thread can be found here: -

(and if anyone wants to add to it I for one won't be complaining!)

Anyway, I enjoyed the suggested tunes so much that I thought I'd start a new thread entitled "Spacey Male Detroit Soul" as this new found (to me, at least) 'genre within a genre' is intriguing me to the extent that I'd love to find out as much as possible about records that have this type of sound ... and if they're reasonably affordable then so much the better!  :thumbsup:

Same rules apply as the original 'female' thread, i.e. they don't specifically have to be from Detroit (but all the better if they are) ... as long as they have that specific sound.

To get things started (and give a rough idea of the type of sound I'm looking for - I intend to put a playlist together on YouTube) I'll post a few that I think fall into the category quite nicely. And I await all further suggestions with much anticipation. Ok, here we go: -

Starting off with an expensive one, The Masqueraders 'How'

Followed by three that I've recently added to my own collection, the first being Eddie Hill 'Nothing Sweeter'

On the same label, Louis Curry 'A Toast To You'

And finally, a highly recommended cheapie (grab one while you can?), Friends 'No You No Me!'

Get those suggestions posted up folks!  :thumbsup:

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

John.

Social source share

Guest HensTeeth

I can't quite grasp what it is, what sound,  that the records have in common or I'd be glad to suggest something!

I can totally understand what you are saying Pete, it's kinda hard to put your finger on. Perhaps a look at the original female thread will help. I'm basically looking for their male counterparts, so-to-speak. I chose the ones I did because to me they have a unique, almost eerie atmosphere about them. An echo-ish spacey feel. It's difficult to put it in a nutshell. It's been done before with girly songs so why not for male vocals too? I think the ones I chose fit the bill but perhaps that's just my perception of what it should be! I would simply say that if you're unsure then just refer to the original female thread and let your imagination run riot! Why do I get the feeling the more I try to explain this the less clear it becomes? lol  :lol:

Edited by HensTeeth
Social source share

I've never heard of Up Records being from Detroit (or "The Friends" being a Detroit group.  I don't hear any of the familiar Detroit session players on it.  The name Wilson Williams looks very familiar, but I don't connect it with Detroit.  Do any of you really have any evidence that it's Detroit record?  It sounds like an East Coast production to me.  The Two Friends were a Detroit duo, but this group of "Friends" doesn't sound like it contains Steve Mancha (Clyde Wilson) or Wilbur Jackson.  Their voices are very distinguishable, and different from all those in this recording.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

How come I've never heard of Up Records as a Detroit label in all my 55 years of collecting Detroit records, and looking at Detroit music collectors' collections, and talking with people from the Detroit music industry of the '60s? 

Up records is not listed on this very thorough list of Detroit record labels:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=113239958426872347643.000492c279ce94f4b9930

Social source share

I don't think the friends is detroit either.

As the starter of the other thread, male vocals are generally harder and the production style goes more with the soft harmonies. But I see what you are asking. A lot of the precisions tracks fit your question:

Social source share

Guest HensTeeth

I've never heard of Up Records being from Detroit (or "The Friends" being a Detroit group.  I don't hear any of the familiar Detroit session players on it.  The name Wilson Williams looks very familiar, but I don't connect it with Detroit.  Do any of you really have any evidence that it's Detroit record?  It sounds like an East Coast production to me.  The Two Friends were a Detroit duo, but this group of "Friends" doesn't sound like it contains Steve Mancha (Clyde Wilson) or Wilbur Jackson.  Their voices are very distinguishable, and different from all those in this recording.

Look again at the writing credits. Does the name F. Wilson ring any bells?  :P

Social source share

Guest HensTeeth

As the starter of the other thread, male vocals are generally harder and the production style goes more with the soft harmonies. But I see what you are asking. A lot of the precisions tracks fit your question:

I'm pretty sure the Friends record IS out of Detroit despite it being absent from many Detroit listed records / labels. And yes, that type of sound and production fits the bill perfectly. Nice one.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

How come I've never heard of Up Records as a Detroit label in all my 55 years of collecting Detroit records, and looking at Detroit music collectors' collections, and talking with people from the Detroit music industry of the '60s? 

Up records is not listed on this very thorough list of Detroit record labels:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=113239958426872347643.000492c279ce94f4b9930

Hi Robb, Friends is outta California....Got mine from pat Brady early 90s, think it was £5 or £10....

Social source share

Guest HensTeeth

Hi Robb, Friends is outta California....Got mine from pat Brady early 90s, think it was £5 or £10....

Thanks Steve, to be fair I did say the records didn't specifically have to be out of Detroit. I thought the Friends one was but there is so little information about it on the Web it's hard to find out much in relation to it. Any further info. would be greatly appreciated. It's a great wee underplayed tune whatever the case. John Manship has one for sale and he does list Frank Wilson Jr. as one of the writers so there's definitely a Detroit 'link' at the very least, yes? I think it's pretty rare for its price to be honest (hint, hint).  :thumbsup:

Back to the topic now......

Edited by HensTeeth
Social source share

As Nick said Frank is from L.A., as is Wilson Williams. Frank Wilson only link to Detroit was that he ran the L.A. studio of Motown in the 60's. Otherwise he has little or nothing to do with the Detroit music scene. As for Friends agree nice record, but this was around in large quantity only a few years ago, so not that obscure. You used to be able to pick it up for under a tenner. Got played a little in the late 80's, early 90's.

Social source share

Why does the "F. Wilson Jr." credit have to refer to the Frank "DILY(IID)" Wilson? There was another Frank Wilson who was involved

in the L.A. music scene in the 60's along with his brother Vance. He had some releases on Revue as Frankie Vance ( probably to

avoid confusion with the other Frank Wilson).

Also the F could stand for Fred, Ferdinand or even Fabio for all we know.

Social source share

Tim Brown sold a copy of Friends on UP on ebay a couple of days ago. He listed it as a Detroit record. Is this the source perhaps of the Detroit claim?

Have not associated this as a Detroit record myself.

Cheers

Richard

He also said Johnny Wyatt was lead of Johnny and the Expressions (who were from New York and lead by a guy named Johnny Matthews -- NO DETROIT CONNECTION DESPITE THE NAME), when he was really lead of Rochelle and the Candles (LA). Lots of other incorrect information on the lists. Lots of great records for sale though.

Social source share

Guest HensTeeth

Glad to see the aim of this thread has been brought back into focus again, and talking of which, Bernard Williams and The Mad Lads ... yep, they both fit the bill nicely. The Bernard Williams tune has long been a favourite of mine.  :) keep 'em coming!

Social source share

As Nick said Frank is from L.A., as is Wilson Williams. Frank Wilson only link to Detroit was that he ran the L.A. studio of Motown in the 60's. Otherwise he has little or nothing to do with the Detroit music scene. As for Friends agree nice record, but this was around in large quantity only a few years ago, so not that obscure. You used to be able to pick it up for under a tenner. Got played a little in the late 80's, early 90's.

I thought that Hal Davis ran Motown's operations in the L.A. Jobete Music office, and that Marc gordon and Frank Wilson were just the main producers under him?  I don't remember Frank Wilson having been the big boss.  In any case, I'd be really surprised if the Frank Wilson that recorded on Soul Records and was married to Barbara Wilson was the F. Wilson on Up Records.  Secondly, I'd be surprised to find that that Up Record was from L.A.  If it IS, indeed, a California record I'd vote for a San Francisco Bay Area record.  The font and label graphics style look more like a Bay Area record than L.A.  I was in L.A. from 1965-72.  I NEVER saw an UP Record there.  Actually, it rings a bell for a label I did see in The Bay Area.  I doubt that that F. Wilson was Frank Wilson, as the songs don't sound, in the slightest, like his writing, and the publishing company isn't one I've seen related to him.  I think it's a Fred or Frank or Filmore or Felipe Wilson.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

But Bernard Williams is a Harthon thing out of Philadelphia.

How is that spacey Detroit soul?

Not sure the spacey thing transcends the genders either.

If I can think of a spacey male Detroit thing I will let you know.

Actually what about these (off the top of my head) all off the Souk Hawk label ... New Holidays "Maybe So, Maybe No", or the Mighty Lovers "Ain't Gonna Run No More", or the Third Party "Such Soul Says"?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest HensTeeth

I'll have another go at attempting to define the genre as I see it, and I stress it's only as I see it. It's based upon my take on the sound of the records selected in the female spacey detroit thread. It's not exhaustive but here's a list of attributes that I think each record should possess at least 2 or 3 of: -

- airy, echoey, atmospheric sound

- haunting, melodic vocal

- a touch of reverb

- big, expansive production

- Detroit style production but not necessarily from Detroit

- mid to late 60s sound, possibly even verging on psychedelic in parts

Typical tunes identified so far that I would say fit the bill (in my opinion) are The Masqueraders - 'How'; Eddie Hill - 'Nothing Sweeter'; Louis Curry - 'I'll Try Again Tomorrow' (3 of the ones highlighted by me - not so sure about the Friends one anymore!!); The Precisions - 'What I Want'; Bernard Williams - 'Focused On You'; and The Mad Lads - 'Did My Baby Call'.

Clear as mud? Probably! lol. :lol:

Edited by HensTeeth
Social source share

Guest HensTeeth

But Bernard Williams is a Harthon thing out of Philadelphia.

How is that spacey Detroit soul?

Not sure the spacey thing transcends the genders either.

If I can think of a spacey male Detroit thing I will let you know.

Actually what about these (off the top of my head) all off the Souk Hawk label ... New Holidays "Maybe So, Maybe No", or the Mighty Lovers "Ain't Gonna Run No More", or the Third Party "Such Soul Says"?

Cheers

Richard

New Holidays - Yep, definitely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEEvQVxFLzY

Mighty Lovers - Very probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyhklWskBmA

Third Party - It's definitely got some of the required ingredients.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLi99R0AqNg

Social source share

Guest HensTeeth

James shorter....modern day woman......super spacey ending as record ends and general production is similar. Could someone upload it please??

With pleasure. Thanks for the suggestion, it's what this thread's all about.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest HensTeeth

And so I ask myself, "John, would this piece of Detroit magic make the list?". I ponder a little before exclaiming, "You're damned right it would!"...

Social source share

Guest HensTeeth
On 12/02/2014 at 20:18, johnny said:

Not from Detroit but New York

Soul Invaders inc - so good - yorktown

And thanks to johnny pointing me in the right direction, here it is... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Surely the Precisions - If This Is Love on Drew is the epitomy of moody atmospheric soul music even a bit trippy for good measure

Trout out

Social source share

Guest HensTeeth

M-S records (and Louis Curry in particular, along with Lonette) really seemed to successfully capture this particular type of sound. Great stuff...

Edited by HensTeeth
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!