Gloria Barnes Lp

arnie j
Go to solution Solved by John Benson,

hi folks,the gloria barnes album on maple,whats on it please ? can someone give me the complete track list from it ? i know "ill call you back later" is on there but am interested in what else is on there,shes deffo one of my top fave soul artists,any help appreciated,thank you

jason

Social source share

• Solution

I'm sure you want comments on the tracks rather than a track list. But as I don't have it, I'll start things off with this taken from Popsike: 

From 1971, out of New Jersey, comes Gloria Barnes with her LP Uptown on Maple M6006. Ultra rare ORIGINAL PRESS of this extremely rare soul/funk LP! Contains the song I'll Call You Back Later, parts of which have been sampled on various records. Eight songs on this LP, including Old Before My Time, I'll Call You Back Later, I Found Myself, Gotta Get Away, You Don't Mean It, Home, She Wants A Stand-In, and I'll Go All The Way. This ultra rare LP features Lee Moses and The Deciples on several of the songs as back-up. The Ohio Players may have been involved in several other songs.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

From popsike ; , Side 1: Old Before My Time, I'll Call You Back Later, I Found Myself, Side 2: Gotta Geat Away, You Don't Mean It, Home, She Wants A Stand In, I'll Go All The Way,

280517496165.jpg

thanks philippe,u have answered my question :thumbsup: ,now how much does the lp go for these days ?

jason

Social source share

Actually, my post gave all the tracks on the album, but maybe not quite as easy to tell.

I thought you were after comments about the album, what the tracks were like etc, a track list is easy to find on a search engine like google.

No matter though, price wise I'd guess somewhere in the £200 to £300 range, going on the prices on Popsike & Collectors Frenzy etc.

https://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/280517496165/GLORIA_BARNES_MAPLE_6006_UPTOWN_SUPER_RARE_SOULLISTEN

https://www.popsike.com/GLORIA-BARNES-UPTOWN-MAPLE-RARE-FUNK-SOUL/110249396994.html

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Actually, my post gave all the tracks on the album, but maybe not quite as easy to tell.

I thought you were after comments about the album, what the tracks were like etc, a track list is easy to find on a search engine like google.

No matter though, price wise I'd guess somewhere in the £200 to £300 range, going on the prices on Popsike & Collectors Frenzy etc.

https://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/280517496165/GLORIA_BARNES_MAPLE_6006_UPTOWN_SUPER_RARE_SOULLISTEN

https://www.popsike.com/GLORIA-BARNES-UPTOWN-MAPLE-RARE-FUNK-SOUL/110249396994.html

yes john you are right,i just re read yr post and u gave me all the tracks off the album and so your post should have been marked as best answer,please accept my apologies and tghank you for taking the time to answer my question,i may be able to change the best answer option,i will take a look,and thank you to philippe for also answering my question

jason

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Quick personal review;

Track 1 - "Old before my time". Old fashioned plodding ballad, with sparse arrangement, does little for me. 2/10

2 "I'll call you back later". Fast funky tinged dancer, with great bassline 6/10

3. "I found myself" Excellent deep soul ballad, great vocal performance 7/10

4. "Gotta get away" Nice Northern sounding dancer 6/10

5. "You don't mean it" Probably the best known tune on the album. frantic floor filler, with killer vocals 8/10

6. "Home"  Midtempo swayer, not the greatest song but well sung 5/10

7  "She wants a stand in" My personal favourite, crossover head nodding magic 9/10

8. "I'll go all the way" Unremarkable ballad 5/10

Overall a solid album, with 2 outstanding tracks.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Great album and one of those albums that will appeal in different way depending on what one's preference is in soul music ie head nodding dancers or deep soul ballads. It's the deeper tracks with their raw unpolished vocals that do it for me personally. Saying that I do like all the tracks.

Colin Dilnot's breakdown of the album although he misses one track out

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.co.uk/2007/04/gloria-barnes.html

Might as well put some tracks up then each to their own can decide what's what for them. Won't bother with You Don't Mean It" as everybody knows it

The more danceable

I'll Call You Back Later

Gotta Get Away

She Wants A Stand In

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

The deeper tracks which are more my preference. "Home" I think could be played out at certain venues.

Home

I Found Myself

I'll Go All The Way

Old Before My Time

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

thanks guys,after listening to the tracks this is one album i would LOVE to own ! the down tempo ones are fantastic and ill call u back later is quite simply brilliant,maybe,just maybe,one day i will put this masterpiece on my home decks

jason

Social source share

• 8 months later...

..some people have defenitely too much money...Top Lp but 900 quid is stupid :lol:

Seen a newsounds on turbo hit $1000 last yr and thought that was high too,but i guess it comes down to how much spare money the buyer has at his disposal.

Is there a real price or value on old vinyl,other than guide price v a personal worth?

Social source share

Ouch, My no 1 want has now moved to my no 34 will never get.

I take it this was FunkYou? He rivals Sebastian for getting great prices, which I congratulate them on, except when its something I don;t have, and need more than a baby needs milk, Which to be fair there is not many left like that, but this is one of them, I really can't die without owning it can I!

And if Dave Rippoles is not reading this, and he gets a ridiculously high offer completely unrefuseable offer £400, lets keep the latest sale between us, just for now.........

Social source share

I picked up a copy for £3 from Reddingtons rare records in Birmingham years ago. I gave it to our kid for a birthday pressy. i should have just got him a bottle of Blue Stratos aftershave instead. :(

Yes...one of your better birthday presents Jordi  (mind you, £3.00! you tight get!...Blue stratos probably cost more than that, that's why you didnt buy it....)

........I'll swap it back for the 45 of 'call you back later' if you like though...

Social source share

Yes...one of your better birthday presents Jordi  (mind you, £3.00! you tight get!...Blue stratos probably cost more than that, that's why you didnt buy it....)

........I'll swap it back for the 45 of 'call you back later' if you like though...

I would'nt personally  :ohmy:

P.s Blue Stratos ? always had you down as Hi Karate  :)

Social source share

Wow, never heard the LP version of "Gotta Get Away", blows the Ohio Players "16 Greatest Hits" LP version out of the water. But seeing as how I have the latter, I'll keep spinning that until I can get my hands on one of these beasts. 

I have the album and "You don't mean it" is also a different recording to the A&M single. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is Gloria Barnes singing on the Ohio Players album and "Love slipped through my fingers" is also her. The pressing on Jo-Mar has her credited as Towanda Barnes on both "Slipped" and "Gotta get away". I don't have the Ohio Players album, does it refer to her as vocalist? The Ohio Players are the featured band on her Uptown version.

Kev

Social source share

Only six copies have gone through Popsike in the last few years , the copy that went for £ 127.00 was a top bargain !

So considering it's a true rarity, let's have a show of hands who's got a copy of this magnificent album ,

Who's first up ? .....

have it along with George Scott lp and Chosen Few lp

Social source share

I always thought it would be almost impossible to dislike you, this post has me starting to hate you....... GS in my top 5 wants as well as Towanda Barnes. Harumpfh

I will leave them in my will to you Jock..........just don't take a hit man contract out.

Edited by grumpyfella
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Lester,

9 hours ago, lh12cat said:

hello all , the susan phillips  all platinum 3006  album does exist , I have TWO COPIES  (that i'm not selling )  one copy is sealed  and the other is disc vg+ / cover vg  , the ONLY OTHER COPY I KNOW OF  was a mint -/ mint -   that had a minimum bid of $200.00  in goldmine  magazine in 2003 I think , I started to bid but did not , it went for the $200.00  , I think the owner of it was in france ( I had seen his adds before )   if can PROVE I have these if ANYONE wants me to take a photo and post it of both of them I will !!!   i'm a collector in Chicago , and  ABOUT  TWO  YEARS AGO I found the music merchant label  teen  soul group BROTHERLY LOVE - mama's little baby  love's lovin . MAN , I always wondered what the hell happened to them, and now I know , they got BLACK BALLED OUT OF THE INDUSTRY so they could not compete with their cousins  THE JACKSON FIVE , YEP THAT'S RIGHT !!!!  they are AARON , WAYNE , EDWARD ,  CHARLES , LEAD SINGER REGGIE JACKSON  , yes their last name is JACKSON !!!  I talk to CHARLES 4  times a week ( he calls me or me him ) I just spoke to him 30 minutes ago , he called. they did a lot of stuff but COULD NOT GET IT OUT ( mona Holland , daughter of one of the Holland's is going to get their songs back to them )  , Charles and aaron told me that HDH , SMOKEY ROBINSON , was going to use them to bring Motown back , they had to change their name from the Jackson five , and it was a letter on BERRY GORDY'S desk to inform him to hold back BROTHERLY LOVE . I only spoke to lead singer REGGIE JACKSON ONCE last month , he was real nice and soft spoken , I told him that he sung the heck out of mama's little baby , he chuckled and said thank you. he also said the industry can  destroy you and your family but getting fed up with the nonsense they left the music biz. there is NO way I can tell all I was told , but i'll tell this , Charles told me MARVIN GAYE SANG what's going on to him in the studio before it came out , he was close to DAVID RUFFIN ,  STILL  IN TOUCH WITH DENNIS EDWARDS  , THE JONES GIRLS ( SHIRLEY JONES texted him today )  THE SYLVERS ,  DELFONICS , STYLISTICS, NORMAN WHITFIELDS KIDS . I told them they should go on youtube so the fans can see them.  they still record stuff a home in their studio in Oklahoma where they are from.  I have to sign off now but anyone can contact me anytime  here or at lesterhunt@yahoo.com   i'll log back on tomorrow , peace !!!   11 / 15/ 2015

Yes please post scans of the front and back covers of the Susan Phillips LP .

Social source share

21 hours ago, sunnysoul said:

Excellent, many thanks. Very nice to see .

If anyone has one for sale, please PM me .

I'll be posting this also in the Wants section but I also just want to bump it  here - if anyone has copy of the Susan Phillips LP to sell, please PM me . Cheers.

Social source share

On 13/02/2014, 17:21:32, arnie j said:

hi folks,the gloria barnes album on maple,whats on it please ? can someone give me the complete track list from it ? i know "ill call you back later" is on there but am interested in what else is on there,shes deffo one of my top fave soul artists,any help appreciated,thank you

jason

Track 4 :wink:

Jerry Walsh SS Swap Nov 2007.jpg

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!