This Is Just Like The Sister Funk Stuff Being Played At The Moment

Guest Dr Pickles

Guest Dr Pickles

Philistine.

I like it and it reminds me of mid to late 70's funk.

I'll be looking forward to Saturday and your unique view on the soul scene. 

I'm especially looking forward to our "cut and thrust" critique of what's being played by the dj's.

10001-29336-1.jpg?r=6984

:thumbsup:

Doc

Social source share

I'll be looking forward to Saturday and your unique view on the soul scene. 

I'm especially looking forward to our "cut and thrust" critique of what's being played by the dj's.

:thumbsup:

Doc

Do you mean "what the f*!k is this shit he/she is playing?!!" :lol:  :lol:  Look forward to seeing you, Lou, Dean and Nicci tomorrow, weather permitting................wondered if you two might be waterlocked down there on the Zummerzet levels?

Social source share

Oh Pete, you'd be surprised what else some of us listen to.

I'm not suggesting it's played out, I just thought it was interesting.

I see.

Yes I guess so, it's ok.  I thought you meant we should all go out and dance to it, apologies for misinterpreting.  

You'd be surprised what I listen to to be honest...though to be fair, it doesn't include a lot of soul music.  Lot of Northern maybe.

Social source share

Sounds like a James Brown production from the 70s rip off.

Somebody's been listening to Lynn Collins / Marva Whitney

that guitar riff is off a jb record, cant think which one, something off black caesar or slaughters big rip off maybe.

Cool song though, I think, love that cow bell when ut comes in and p.f. definitely has talent and character

Social source share

that guitar riff is off a jb record, cant think which one, something off black caesar or slaughters big rip off maybe.

Cool song though, I think, love that cow bell when ut comes in and p.f. definitely has talent and character

I think this would have been a massive record back in the late 80s/early 90s in the Acid Jazz/Funky/Rare Groove clubs of the time.

If this would fit with what is getting played at nighters now, then I'm well out of touch (thankfully).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think this would have been a massive record back in the late 80s/early 90s in the Acid Jazz/Funky/Rare Groove clubs of the time.

If this would fit with what is getting played at nighters now, then I'm well out of touch (thankfully).

Aye, it's not exactly a cutting edge sound, not even the cutting edge of retro, but it works as a party record from 1994 and that girl is a pretty cool character by today's drab standards, when your average youth icon unwinds by shopping around for competitive insurance quotes.

Anyway joe, we're old c***s now, this must be a revival of the 90s revival.

Can imagine some facebook types saying 'omg, that is, like, so old school? It samples, like, justin timberland?'

Shit. Maybe I should fuck all this r&b off, dust off my old 12s and start a revival of the acid jazz revival, it's the british way after all.

Played some far out stuff back then, remember those 10 minute long prestige and blue note tracks?! Wow.

In retrospect, that scene was shit.

Social source share

Aye, it's not exactly a cutting edge sound, not even the cutting edge of retro, but it works as a party record from 1994 and that girl is a pretty cool character by today's drab standards, when your average youth icon unwinds by shopping around for competitive insurance quotes.

Anyway joe, we're old c***s now, this must be a revival of the 90s revival.

Can imagine some facebook types saying 'omg, that is, like, so old school? It samples, like, justin timberland?'

Shit. Maybe I should f*ck all this r&b off, dust off my old 12s and start a revival of the acid jazz revival, it's the british way after all.

Played some far out stuff back then, remember those 10 minute long prestige and blue note tracks?! Wow.

In retrospect, that scene was shit.

You missed your chance with the Acid Jazz revival, Mik - shoulda done it a couple of years ago when they had the 25th anniversary. Say what you want about the scene but it did turn a a lot of the younger dudes in the 80s onto Jazz, soul and funk.

Social source share

Her voice is very thin and reedy , lacking in substance and depth

so is the production. its horrible.  

a poor copyist or someone decent gave them a cast off and run off with a few hundred grand laughing hysterically. 

i couldnt see any self respecting dj who takes time to search for then play old records, playing this. having said that, im sure ill get asked for it at some point this year.

Social source share

I can't hear any Go Go in it, well ok, there's a cowbell in the background, and I can't hear any 80's/90's rare groove/acid jazz going on either? It's a decent new release that should sound good in clubs, it's definitely an antidote to clubland house music or soporiphic Rn'B. I'm sure it'll end up being played at some local Northern night, especially if they do another video with some northern 'style' hoofers in the background.

Social source share

You missed your chance with the Acid Jazz revival, Mik - shoulda done it a couple of years ago when they had the 25th anniversary. Say what you want about the scene but it did turn a a lot of the younger dudes in the 80s onto Jazz, soul and funk.

absolutely, me included. The old music played on that scene was good - generally managed to sit nicely between the cheesier jazz-funk and the more raucus funk which came in later. the new records were often pretty bad though, until that sort of mo wax sound got a bit more interesting and less like lift music. It was responsible for jamiroquai as well.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!